My loader won’t stay up?

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
If I park my tractor with the loader in the full up position over night, in the morning it’s halfway down. The loader also seems like it’s weaker than it used to be. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and diagnose the issue? Thanks!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
And I have no experience with hydraulics so don’t know where to even start. Fluid is full and looks clean. No external leaks.
You are expecting too much. The loader is acting normally.

To evaluate the possible loss of power you need to invest in a 3000 PSI pressure gauge - $20.

Dan

Reactions: 3 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If I park my tractor with the loader in the full up position over night, in the morning it’s halfway down. The loader also seems like it’s weaker than it used to be. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and diagnose the issue? Thanks!
I have a similar problem. I suggest that you see Alice, just don't go to Hellen Waite!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I just had the cylinders on my loader rebuilt by my local dealer. I parked the tractor with the loader about 2" off the ground to just to test it. When I went back to use the tractor after 4 days the loader had not moved at all.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
It's a really,really BAD idea to leave ANY loader 'up' when you're not operating the tractor.
++++2
Never store any machine with any component raised. It is a terrible accident just waiting to happen. Even if it does not settle on its' own, imagine a couple of kids screwing around. One under the bucket looking at bugs and another fiddling with the controls. A 1 in a million but that is 10X too many.

Reactions: 6 users

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
++++2
Never store any machine with any component raised. It is a terrible accident just waiting to happen. Even if it does not settle on its' own, imagine a couple of kids screwing around. One under the bucket looking at bugs and another fiddling with the controls. A 1 in a million but that is 10X too many.
Not something I normally do, but I was using the tractor to hold something in place over night. When I normally park it I let all the hydraulic pressure off the loader and 3pt.

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
I just had the cylinders on my loader rebuilt by my local dealer. I parked the tractor with the loader about 2" off the ground to just to test it. When I went back to use the tractor after 4 days the loader had not moved at all.
the video I just watched shows a trick to tell if it’s the bucket curl or lift booms or control valve that’s leaking by swapping line positions into the valve block. It didn’t sound like noticeable leaking over a short amount of time was normal.

When I get a chance I’m going to grab a test gauge and also try the swap trick to try and figure out if some seals need replacement. Hopefully it’s not too big a job.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
the video I just watched shows a trick to tell if it’s the bucket curl or lift booms or control valve that’s leaking by swapping line positions into the valve block. It didn’t sound like noticeable leaking over a short amount of time was normal.

When I get a chance I’m going to grab a test gauge and also try the swap trick to try and figure out if some seals need replacement. Hopefully it’s not too big a job.
ALL spool valves leak and thats what you are seeing.

Your lift cylinder seals could be blown to hell and it would not change anything. They are not needed to hold the loader up.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Kubota has a spec for amount of movement and distance of travel to be considered normal. I don't recall what it is specifically, but it's more then one would think. I'm confident yours is well within that range.

Many moons ago I was helping an older man with some farm work. He had, I think, a Ford 50 Hp tractor with a loader. He quit for lunch, went in the house and ate, when he came back out his dog was under the loader dead! It left an impression on me, never leave a loader up.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Urologists deal with it as well. My uncle is Dr. Assman.
Tell me about it! I had a bad “walnut” taken out of my lower belly a year ago…had to have a special “bag” installed to catch my leaked down “hydraulic fluid” 🤣 I wasn’t under warranty either!😞

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Tell me about it! I had a bad “walnut” taken out of my lower belly a year ago…had to have a special “bag” installed to catch my leaked down “hydraulic fluid” 🤣 I wasn’t under warranty either!😞
The good news is you lived to tell the tale. (y)

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
You are expecting too much. The loader is acting normally.

To evaluate the possible loss of power you need to invest in a 3000 PSI pressure gauge - $20.

Dan
After a little asking around, it kind of sounds like leak down in the curl cylinders is more common than in the lift cylinders. Does that sound right?

Any recommendations for a gauge and how to figure out what adapters I'd need for my machine?

Thanks

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
ALL spool valves leak and thats what you are seeing.

Your lift cylinder seals could be blown to hell and it would not change anything. They are not needed to hold the loader up.

Swapping

Dan
After a little asking around, it kind of sounds like leak down in the curl cylinders is more common than in the lift cylinders. Does that sound right?

Any recommendations for a gauge and how to figure out what adapters I'd need for my machine?

Thanks
Leakdown on the lift cylinders is caused by imternal spool leakage in the valve.

Leakdown on the curl cyinders is caused by internsl leakage in the valve AND by leakage of the piston seals.

Dont spend a bunch of money on a gauge. There.are dozens of 3000 PSI glycerin filled gauges on Amazon in the $20 range.

Adapters are going to vary depending on what part of the system you are checking. A good starting point is a short 1/4" hose with JIC female swivel ends and a female NPT to male JIC adapter to hook the gauge to the hose. Kubota likes. to use #8 JIC fittings on their loaders. Tractor side plumbing is usually BSP.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Thanks
Personally I think a gauge is essential equipment for anyone working on actractor. But I am wondering what the problem is that you are planning on using ot on.

Dan