My first snow blower

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
You might be asking, what does an Okie need a snow blower for? And I'd quickly say "Not much!" But, I was able to get this thing across the board on a piece of equipment I didn't want (a 6' flail mower) so I figured, why not? Once every 2 or 3 years when we get enough snow to use it, it should provide a little entertainment. I usually use a 6ft angle blade for snow removal as part of my little tractor business (www.bozhog.com) so who know.?.? My biggest concern really was that it's only a 4-footer.

Oh well, here are some pics. Last night I greased everything, put fresh oil in the gear box, and babied the chain which seems to be the worst part of the whole deal. Even the blades (if that's what they're called) have paint all the way to the edge. I've yet to download the owner's manual from Loftness.

What advice would you give a first time snow blower (assuming I ever actually get to use the thing?)

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First thing I would do is "create" some shoes for that blower. Attach something on the bottom on each side that will hold it off the ground (adjustable from 1/2" to 1 1/2")
That way it will NOT pick up gravel or anything like that if it make contact with the ground.

Also - grease the chute with a teflon spray or another type of dry lube - that way the snow will not stick and build up.

sgtboz

Equipment
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Thanks very much, hokie. The shoes/skid plates are hidden in the pic but they look like they've never been used. In fact, I'm not sure the thing has ever even thrown snow. Part of me thinks the hardest thing it's ever done is sit out in the weather.

Thank you for the advice on approximately how high to set the thing as well as the teflon spray coating. Much appreciated!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Find out where the shear bolts are and get approx 6 of each. Be careful to not get a harder grade bolt as defined by the markings on the bolts head. You want the shear bolt to let go and save the expensive parts

There will be one protecting the fan (the part that throws the snow out the chute) and one protecting the auger.

The one for the auger is often where the small sprocket is that drives the chain.

The one for the fan may be incorporated in the pto shaft at the tractor end.

Buy some cheap driveway markers with circle reflector on them. Use them to define the areas where you have double checked for things like extension cords, concrete blocks, rocks, pieces of 2x4, chain and rope.

When everything is covered in snow, all of us have found something trying to go through the blower that we forgot was there.

Dave M7040

sgtboz

Equipment
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Excellent advice, Dave. Thank you. I found the shear pin on the pto shaft but I'll have to look for the one(s) that protect the auger.

We're expecting a good bit of ice/freezing rain this weekend (more common than snow around here, it seems) but hopefully we'll get some more of the white stuff before the winter is over.

As an aside, the serial number on this thing indicates it is a 1992 model! (as confirmed by Loftness with the serial number) That is so hard to believe by looking at the thing or is it just me!? I guess if you keep 'em cleaned off and stored appropriately, they really hold up.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you live in an area where salt is used on the roads and you are blowing stuff the plow pushed up and driving down the street to do your neighbors driveway, you suffer the rusting problem.

Dave M7040