MX5400 or M6060

slowmo

Jan 7, 2021
Montana
I am down to the decision point on two tractors: MX 5400 (cab) with gear transmission and loader, or M6060 with hydraulic shuttle and loader.

Primary use will be in a 10 acre vineyard with 10 foot wide rows. Vineyard has about a 2-12% slope from top to bottom, and rows run horizontal across the slope.

Vineyard tractor tasks will be 1)spraying, 2) flail mowing, 3) tractor driven mechanical knives or using tractor to run hydraulic rotary hoes for weeding under vine trellis, 4) occasional ripping and disking of vineyard middles, and 5) picking up and placing harvest bins with up 1,000 to 2,000 pounds of grapes onto an equipment trailer. Occasional use will be mowing another 10 or so flat acres to keep weeds and grass down.

The MX5400 is about 20% cheaper than the M6060. Also, the implements I currently have (ripper, flail mower) are CAT I, and while the MX 5400 is CAT I, the M6060 is CAT II. I am not sure that while I can add a bushing to the implements to fit CAT II that I will not run into an issue of the arms being too wide on CAT II to fit my implements.

Finally, wondering if as big an upgrade as the M6060 is, is it overkill to buy it for the tasks I will have.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I am down to the decision point on two tractors: MX 5400 (cab) with gear transmission and loader, or M6060 with hydraulic shuttle and loader.

Primary use will be in a 10 acre vineyard with 10 foot wide rows. Vineyard has about a 2-12% slope from top to bottom, and rows run horizontal across the slope.

Vineyard tractor tasks will be 1)spraying, 2) flail mowing, 3) tractor driven mechanical knives or using tractor to run hydraulic rotary hoes for weeding under vine trellis, 4) occasional ripping and disking of vineyard middles, and 5) picking up and placing harvest bins with up 1,000 to 2,000 pounds of grapes onto an equipment trailer. Occasional use will be mowing another 10 or so flat acres to keep weeds and grass down.

The MX5400 is about 20% cheaper than the M6060. Also, the implements I currently have (ripper, flail mower) are CAT I, and while the MX 5400 is CAT I, the M6060 is CAT II. I am not sure that while I can add a bushing to the implements to fit CAT II that I will not run into an issue of the arms being too wide on CAT II to fit my implements.

Finally, wondering if as big an upgrade as the M6060 is, is it overkill to buy it for the tasks I will have.
The MX is also a category 2 hitch. But the MX arms will accommodate category 1 implements with the bushings. I have a MX6000 and a couple of category 1 implements that work fine. I’m not sure about the M6060. 2000 pounds is about maximum lift on the MX LA1065 loader if you have good ballast. The lift is roughly 2400 pounds, but the forks take up 400 pounds of the lift. If you are going to lift 2000 pounds on a regular basis, go with the M series, otherwise either tractor will do the other chores you listed.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Where are you in Montana? So the vines are in rows running perpendicular to the slope? Is that normal for grapes? It sounds like the worst case scenario for tractor stability, particularly at a 12% grade. But you can set the wheels out as wide as possible, add liquid ballast and wheel weights to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

I have both an MX6000 and an M6060 and they're entirely different tractors, and the difference between an M6060 and an MX5400 is even wider. There is nothing that the MX5400 can do that the M6060 doesn't do better, but there's plenty that the M6060 can do that the MX5400 can't. I know most everyone will say that a geared tractor sucks for moving dirt with the FEL and bucket, and yes, it's easier with an hydrostatic transmission, but it's not exactly hard with a geared tractor, there's just more to think about.

You really need to think about lifting 1,000lb to 2,000lb of grapes. With the M6060 you can handle 2,000lb but you won't lift it with the MX5400. If reducing the weight of the load is an ok solution then I would suggest buying the MX5400 since it'll do everything that you need. You obviously want a geared tractor so the MX6000 is out, but it should be on your list too since it's a great tractor that's easy to live with.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Where are you in Montana? So the vines are in rows perpendicular to the slope? Is that normal for grapes? It sounds like the worst case scenario for tractor stability, particularly at a 12% grade. But you can set the wheels out as wide as possible, add liquid ballast and wheel weights to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

I have both an MX6000 and an M6060 and they're entirely different tractors, and the difference between an M6060 and an MX5400 is even wider. There is nothing that the MX5400 can do that the M6060 doesn't do better, but there's plenty that the M6060 can do that the MX5400 can't.

You really need to think about lifting 1,000lb to 2,000lb of grapes. With the M6060 you can handle 2,000lb but you won't lift it with the MX5400. If reducing the weight of the load is an ok solution then I would suggest buying the MX5400 since it'll do everything that you need. You obviously want a geared tractor so the MX6000 is out, but it should be on your list too since it's a great tractor that's easy to live with.
I would think that a HST tractor would be awful handy for the OP’s purpose of working close to vines and doing precise loader work.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would think that a HST tractor would be awful handy for the OP’s purpose of working close to vines and doing precise loader work.
I agree, but if the OP is set on a geared tractor it doesn't matter what we think. Other than the need to lift 2,000lb of grapes, a cabbed MX6000 would be the perfect choice from where I sit.

I spent three hours pulling a very heavy disc around this week behind the MX6000, and in Low range it didn't even struggle, even on some decent slopes. The A/C stayed cool, the coolant temperature was normal, it was easy to maneuver, etc.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I agree, but if the OP is set on a geared tractor it doesn't matter what we think. Other than the need to lift 2,000lb of grapes, a cabbed MX6000 would be the perfect choice from where I sit.
I actually think an open station would be better for vineyard work. A lot of up and down off the machine.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I actually think an open station would be better for vineyard work. A lot of up and down off the machine.
I don't know enough about working in a vineyard to say anything about how often one needs to get on and off the tractor, but it's easy to get in and out of the MX cab. I do it a lot, and I mean, a lot, and have no trouble at all. The grab handle really helps.

The OP mentioned a cabbed MX so maybe he values comfort when mowing, maintaining, etc. I've owned two open station tractors and I'll take a cabbed tractor every time for all-around use, even if some uses require lots of getting on and off the tractor.

Amarillo

Equipment
MX6000 w/ LA1065, tiller, disc, core aerator, box blade, shredder, Blast Sprayer
Jan 10, 2023
Amarillo, TX
If you are set on a geared tractor disregard my post. If you are open to HST, you should consider the MX 6000. I have 240 pecan trees I maintain with the MX 6000 cab. Work includes spraying leaves with an air blast sprayer, shredding between rows, some 2000 lbs. Lifting of nitrogen totes and water totes. In the future I'll be running a tree shaker and maybe harvester from it. HST has been wonderful when spraying, FEL work and shredding. When spraying, wind can cause me to have to move back and forth on a tree a few times. I can only imagine the additional time and effort without the HST. I believe you would be much happier spraying those grapes with HST but that's my opinion.

slowmo

Jan 7, 2021
Montana
Where are you in Montana? So the vines are in rows running perpendicular to the slope? Is that normal for grapes? It sounds like the worst case scenario for tractor stability, particularly at a 12% grade. But you can set the wheels out as wide as possible, add liquid ballast and wheel weights to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

I have both an MX6000 and an M6060 and they're entirely different tractors, and the difference between an M6060 and an MX5400 is even wider. There is nothing that the MX5400 can do that the M6060 doesn't do better, but there's plenty that the M6060 can do that the MX5400 can't. I know most everyone will say that a geared tractor sucks for moving dirt with the FEL and bucket, and yes, it's easier with an hydrostatic transmission, but it's not exactly hard with a geared tractor, there's just more to think about.

"Where are you in Montana? So the vines are in rows running perpendicular to the slope? "

Actually now in Oregon. The vineyard I am buying is already planted. If I were putting in the vineyard from scratch, rows would have been planted vertical on the slope and with narrower spacing.

slowmo

Jan 7, 2021
Montana
I don't know enough about working in a vineyard to say anything about how often one needs to get on and off the tractor, but it's easy to get in and out of the MX cab. I do it a lot, and I mean, a lot, and have no trouble at all. The grab handle really helps.

The OP mentioned a cabbed MX so maybe he values comfort when mowing, maintaining, etc. I've owned two open station tractors and I'll take a cabbed tractor every time for all-around use, even if some uses require lots of getting on and off the tractor.
Primarily getting cab tractor because I will be doing a fair bit of air blast spraying with a three point mounted sprayer, and don't want to have to don protective gear each time for hours on end. Also, will be nicer in summer when doing tractor work.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Good day.

I am not sure I am reading correctly or not…but i tend to agree with the others…so maybe this not much help.

I am hung up on the rows and grades…are the rows terraced? So where driving its flat or literally tractor would be side hilling a 12%?

I am not familiar with your process but are you hauling the totes of grapes up the hill? It simply loading them onto the trailer (lifting vs transporting across and up the hill)

what machines were previously used on the property?

just in general I think allowing some safe working limit is not a bad idea. Depending what doing with the load, how far and the terrain, 2000lbs is near the limit and if conditions not ideal, not a lot of safe load limit there.

I might be biased to an MX 😉 myself, but the not having seen your place, I only have the description as typed…I would politely question the terrain/slope and load wanting to lift and haul and weather that is at a safe working limit for your use / expectations. I’d be really cautious hauling liquids sloshing around on a slope…in all directions but especially side hilling.

good luck, be careful, and keep the rubber side down.

slowmo

Jan 7, 2021
Montana
"Are the rows terraced? So where driving its flat or literally tractor would be side hilling a 12%?" " what machines were previously used on the property?" " It simply loading them onto the trailer (lifting vs transporting across and up the hill) "

The prior owner used his open station MX 5400 to do all the tasks I listed, so that is why I have that (but in a cab) as an option. The rows are not terraced. The bins are in the headlands, and lifted onto a truck drawn trailer when full.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
12% slope is less than 7 degrees. Is this a real concern as far as stability on the cross Slope with the tractors the OP is considering?

I wouldn’t have guessed it was, but I don’t have any tractors that large. I do realize how easy it is for things to go wrong though.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
12% slope is less than 7 degrees. Is this a real concern as far as stability on the cross Slope with the tractors the OP is considering?

I wouldn’t have guessed it was, but I don’t have any tractors that large. I do realize how easy it is for things to go wrong though.
It sure would be for me if I were hauling 2k with a machine with a center pivot axle up/down and across a hill….thats just me. Somehow I seem to find holes every now and then that I did not think were there. Personally I would not try to haul more than across a flat drive and likely would not lift any higher than absolutely necessary.

As slow and low as possible and as fast as necessary.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Primarily getting cab tractor because I will be doing a fair bit of air blast spraying with a three point mounted sprayer, and don't want to have to don protective gear each time for hours on end. Also, will be nicer in summer when doing tractor work.
That makes a lot of sense.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
The M6060 “seems” a bit large for the proposed work. I’m curious what the neighbors doing the same thing are running?

Another plug for an HST here too. OP, if you haven’t operated an HST previously, give it a try. I’ve used both and really appreciate the HST for my uses. That said, my old neighbor used an old gear tractor that was articulated in the center, made by Ferrari (or similar manufacturer known for sports cars). Also in Oregon, also running rows on the side hill.

Last edited:

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
I spend hundreds of hours a year spraying. Both units I spray with are HST my big SP sprayer and my MX6000. I would never go back to running a sprayer with a gear drive tractor or any thing else. I would give a MX6000 a good look at for your needs.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I had not heard of the Kubota crawler, but thought this interesting….

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That said, my old neighbor used an old gear tractor that was articulated in the center, made by Ferrari (or similar manufacturer known for sports cars).
Lamborghini? They made tractors before they made sports cars.