mowing along the road

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I swear some people either cannot see, or dont understand, or dont give a rats behind, and just see how close they can come to you and act like nothing happened, never slowing down, looking your way, they are completely oblivious to everything around them. And they wonder why some days I really I mean REALLY hate people !!!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, you forgot to mention those devices that some are addicted to and require their full attention nearly all the time....cell phones.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
And the wife thinks I'm silly for making myself more visible when mowing the road... Not uncommon for shift workers at Honda to be doing 70+ down my street. Called the Sheriff and offered up my driveway to run some radar... I feel ya.

Attachments

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Roads are dangerous places. I drill my kids constantly on how dangerous being near a road is. People are stupid to the core and have no notion that a thin white line will not keep a 3k+ lb hunk of hurling steel and plastic from taking them out of the land of the living. I never stand or walk along a road without constant awareness of the potential of the next vehicle leaving the roadway at the last second in my direction.

People are just no damn good! It's time for retaliation.

Old fart

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 10, 2019
Elk, Wa.
All valid points, but idiots reside on both sides of the white line. Until last year I was a classic muscle car nut. On several occasions over the years, while cruising, I would encounter some jerk mowing his weeds and pine cones by the road with his little lawn tractor. Without fail, it would have no bag on it and would be blowing all the crap right at the passing cars. I would not pass the idiot with my fully restored ‘68 Charger R/T until I could move over to an outside lane. That car attracted more misfits than you can imagine. Glad I don’t have to worry about it anymore......

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dunbar,,,,, Now I have to clean the screen ,,,,again ! :D

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
On several occasions over the years, while cruising, I would encounter some jerk mowing his weeds and pine cones by the road with his little lawn tractor. Without fail, it would have no bag on it and would be blowing all the crap right at the passing cars. ..
I see it all the time...turns out that "Common Sense", isn't so "common" anymore...apparently. :(

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
How would you like to be me and road implements all the time. Max speed 22 mph. I get idiots all the time trying to pass me on 2 lane roads when I' a lane and a half wide, sometimes wider. I've put more than one in the ditch. That sheet metal coffin is no match for 7500 pounds of tractor and anywhere from 4-6 thousand pounds of implement.

Little do they know but in this state, I have the right of way so long as I'm displaying the proper signage (SMV) triangles on tractor and implement and amber rear facing flashing lights.

I always try to be courteous and pull into an intersection so they can pass but if there is no intersection, they have to wait and people today don't want to wait, they want to get wherever they are going in a big hurry so, every year it seems, I put some idiot in the ditch

Last year it was some kid in a shit pot car that just had to get around me no matter what. He got his drivers side wheels over the shoulder and it sucked him right in the ditch. I stopped, got out on the cab step and looked back. He was cussing me so I got back in the tractor and continued on (I called the local LE and told them where he was and that he was unhurt. When I came back by some hours later, the car was gone, I presume to the salvage yard.

Bottom line is, don't screw with a tractor and implement on the road, you will always lose.

People are stupid. People don't think, People pay the price.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All valid points, but idiots reside on both sides of the white line. Until last year I was a classic muscle car nut. On several occasions over the years, while cruising, I would encounter some jerk mowing his weeds and pine cones by the road with his little lawn tractor. Without fail, it would have no bag on it and would be blowing all the crap right at the passing cars. I would not pass the idiot with my fully restored ‘68 Charger R/T until I could move over to an outside lane. That car attracted more misfits than you can imagine. Glad I don’t have to worry about it anymore......
Sounds like the guy across the road from my rental. Mows his lawn and the gravel with no deflector on the mower and flings gravel across the road and hits my house. I paid him back. Did the same to him and his nice black Chevy pickup truck. Tit for tat I say. Made the back end look textured.:eek:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - I can relate.
I do half mile, doing both sides, because our road crew can’t find the time.
My wife and dog walk or run through there...somebody’s got to!
It’s a 30 mph zone, but bastards are flying through like Grant took Richmond right off my fender....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Last year I figured I was going to be smart about it,,, I parked my truck at the top of the hill of the side of the road with the 4 ways on at least they would my truck before they hit me... Som broad in a volvo almost hit my truck, and I was off the road,,, and she called the state cops saying I was blocking the road. Cops came out while I was mowing and flagged me down. He said he understood what I was doing and why but I had to move my truck. So I did, I was done mowing anyway

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - even though it's daylight I keep my BX2360 hazard lights flashing on the tractor.

It obviously doesn't help much, but it makes me feel better!

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
You definitely get more respect when your equipment is larger than they are.

I was once moving a a 24 ton trackhoe across the road and a someone ignored the flagman. I just turned the counter weight toward them and waited for the thud that never happened.