mid PTO on larger grand L and buying advice

sidearm

Jul 10, 2013
Fennville, Michigan, USA
okay so enough hi jacking of other threads. ive been shopping for about a month now for a grand. started looking at the L 3240 and then decided a 3540 was a better fit. Now Craigslist has two 4740s relatively close to me and the price is right. I remember reading somewhere in this big orange forum that the larger L40 series needed something more in depth done to it to get the mid pto put on. Am I crazy? And also anyone think a 4740 is overkill? We've got enough space I guess I'm wondering if the 3540 is perfect size will I wish the 4740 was smaller. I think I know the answer in going to get on that one but I figured I'd throw it out there for you guys. Lastly I really enjoy the forum.

Thanks

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Size matters depending on the jobs and tasks you need it for. A 4740 would be over kill on a residential lawn or on 2 acres. But if you have a huge plot of land and do some farming and have a demand for a bigger tractor then get one. Get the right size first and don't cut yourself short on size. Plenty of us on here will amidt we all wish we had a bigger tractor.

Now for the mid pto, why do you need one on a tractor that big?

sidearm

Jul 10, 2013
Fennville, Michigan, USA
Two passes with a 6' snowblower would clear the 1/4 drive pretty well when our old yard/plow truck dies. That's really the biggest reason. We've got around 6 acres but its a lot of rolling hills I'm mostly concerned about the difference in weight between the 3540 and a 4740. Like will I be making work for myself with that large of a tractor rutting the lawn or leaving marks or is the difference negligible.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
You will get a stronger 854 FEL on the L4240 up which is really handy. I really like the L3540 but wanted the stronger loader, check with your dealer on the mid PTO as it seems we have heard different things. I was told I could get one added to my L5740 HSTC, but that may not be across the board for all Grand L's.

I guess how badly a tractor marks up your lawn depends on soil type, I routinely run my L5740 HSTC across mine without a problem and have even mowed my son's yard with our M8540 and Woods DS1260 and it looks fine, can't do this on some soils, but we have high clay content.

Park an L3540 next to a L4740 and they are not all that much bigger, only you can decide if it's too big, but I tend to think you will be OK. All any of us can do without looking at your property and needs is give an educated guess, take our recommendations in that light.

Good luck