Michigan Deer

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Got a video of a massive bobcat walking right in front of one of my deer stands during deer season. We are getting ready to have our first ever bobcat season as well. I am looking forward to a full body mount. View attachment 132389
If you get a second one, may I have the tail for the antenna of my car? thanks, Dusty

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I have had MASSIVE deer damage to my plantings and garden this year. They completely wiped out my tulips, hosta and nasturtiums, took out half my tomatoes and nibbled the tops off my potatoes after hopping over the fence to get at them.

I thought I'd placed the 4 foot fences close enough together that they wouldn't have a landing area inside. Apparently I was wrong.

One doe has a pair of fawns just coming out of their spots and will run off pretty quickly when she sees me coming.

Another other doe has zero fear of humans. I imagine one of my tree-hugger neighbors is feeding her. If I herd her, she'll stay just far enough ahead of me (20 feet or so) to be comfortable, but won't actually leave.

I bought some less-than-lethal rubber slugs for my shotgun thinking if I bounced one off her butt she might get the hint. Waste of money, not enough range, noise or power to even hit her, much less impress upon her that she wasn't welcome here.

Moved up to some .38Spl birdshot. No intention of shooting AT her, just wanted more noise. Saw her a couple nights ago, got within the usual 20 or 30 feet, cranked off a round and she ambled over to the fence, turned and looked at me, gave me a "That's all you got?" look and hopped over the fence.

Saw her again last night, cranked off another round and she walked over TO the fence, stopped and stood there looking at me. I started walking towards her (ever mindful of the damage a pissed off deer can do to my tender little bod) and she blew, hopped over the fence and stopped again. I edged a little closer, she blew again and stepped into the brush a few feet and stood there looking at me.

Got right up to the fence and she blew again, moved off a few more feet and stood there looking at me. Once she was SURE that I knew she wasn't impressed, she wandered off. I swear I heard her laughing. Bitch.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I'm told venison is good to eat year round. A customer just here this week was heading to bye a crossbow and start eliminating deer eating his gardens. He and his wife can enough food to last a year. Green beans tomatoes onions shell beans ect and like to eat what they grow like many folks grew up seeing our folks do. One guy I used to work with was from a large family with six brothers and sisters growing up, he said he was well into his teen yrs before he realized there was a actual 'season ' to shoot deer. As his dad had one hanging year round as one was eaten, he'd harvest another for the family.
Several yrs ago I had a garden by my home here a customer from Ohio stopped to pick up a order he said the deer hunting here must suck. I said no we have deer. He points to the flowers around my house and the garden and says if this was Ohio this would be mowed flat by deer.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Under Maine law, as I understand it, "nuisance deer" can be harvested by the landowner. And I do love me some venison.

Just not sure at this point that I want to take a chance on having mis-interpreted the relevant statute.

Do think I'll look into a crossbow tho, as they are legal for use here.