Mandatory Recall.... B3350SU

johnstone

Equipment
B3350SU, John Deere 950,John Deere 320,Cat D-4
Jun 30, 2014
Eastern Pennsylvania
I bought this tractor new last Spring and only have about 30 hours on it. The dealer called me last month and told me there was a mandatory recall on my tractor and that it would have to go back to the dealer....said the computer had to be reprogrammed....had to do with the DPF (diesel particulate filter), The tractor is at the dealers now.
I've been searching the internet for info on this recall, but there's nothing out there. Anybody got any info on this recall?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
No I have not , but would you please post anything you find out? Several of us have new tractors with the DPF and would be interested. Thank you!

johnstone

Equipment
Jun 30, 2014
Eastern Pennsylvania
Sure, Sheepfarmer, I'll let you know what I find out when I get my tractor back. What I would like to know is why wouldn't Kubota list a mandatory recall on their website? Or better yet, why wouldn't they send you a letter explaining what the recall was about?
It almost seems like they are trying to hide something....just makes me want to dig deeper!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sure, Sheepfarmer, I'll let you know what I find out when I get my tractor back. What I would like to know is why wouldn't Kubota list a mandatory recall on their website? Or better yet, why wouldn't they send you a letter explaining what the recall was about?
It almost seems like they are trying to hide something....just makes me want to dig deeper!
Well see my post below on l3560 recall, Kubota is not very efficient, and I agree that the Kubota website could be more user friendly. You are supposed to get a letter. Hope all goes well with yours.

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
When I was looking for a tractor a few months back the dealer had a B3350 there with a cab which looked like just what I was looking for, cab and snowblower on the front. Would have been great for this long driveway of mine but when I asked about it Jim said he wouldn't sell it to me, said they had problems with them, something to do with not being able to get them going in the cold weather and something else I just can't quite remember. When I was in again last week they still had it there so I asked and he said they ( Kubota ) still hadn't worked out all the bugs. He also said that it was just that model, no problems with the others. The L3560 that I ended up buying so far seems easier to start the other 2 I've had. Hopefully they have found a cure.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
In the diesel truck world people have found it's better to see how recall's work out. Generally it's a programming "upgrade" for emission reasons and it's not always liked by the users. The point is I wouldn't take mine in unless I knew what and how the fix was for.

johnstone

Equipment
Jun 30, 2014
Eastern Pennsylvania
Bearbait, I've only had this tractor a short period, so I can't say for sure, but last month the temps got close to zero and I had no issues with starting the tractor. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eye on how it starts in cold weather.
Nickelplated5s, I don't think I had much choice as to whether I let the dealer do the recall....My warranty was at risk. As far as knowing what the fix was....probably just a computer reprogram.... as you say. Even if they would explain the fix to me, I probably don't know enough about DPF's to understand what they were talking about.
Anyhow, I'll be getting the tractor back tomorrow and see what they did. Thanks for all the comments.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait, I've only had this tractor a short period, so I can't say for sure, but last month the temps got close to zero and I had no issues with starting the tractor. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eye on how it starts in cold weather.
Nickelplated5s, I don't think I had much choice as to whether I let the dealer do the recall....My warranty was at risk. As far as knowing what the fix was....probably just a computer reprogram.... as you say. Even if they would explain the fix to me, I probably don't know enough about DPF's to understand what they were talking about.
Anyhow, I'll be getting the tractor back tomorrow and see what they did. Thanks for all the comments.
I hope you have the best of luck with your new tractor. I've had nothing but good luck with Kubota and I'd be surprised if you didn't have the same.

johnstone

Equipment
Jun 30, 2014
Eastern Pennsylvania
I got my tractor back last night...was a pain as it got here after dark...still I'm glad it's back in the barn. The guy delivering the tractor grabbed the wrong invoice so I could not see what was actually written down as to the work that was performed....the guy said he'll send me the right invoice.
All I learned was that they ran the tractor through the DPF regeneration process while it was hooked up to their computer....everything checked out OK. I don't know what they were looking for and I couldn't get anything specific out of them.....when I pressed for more info I was told that some of the info was proprietary. I also learned that they should not have called it a "mandatory recall".......it should have been called a "campaign".....sounds like these guys should be politicians instead of tractor mechanics!
I'm thinking of sending Kubota an email and see what they have to say about this "campaign".
When they send me the invoice I'll be anxious to see what they actually wrote down as to what work was performed.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks for the update johnstone, the recall on mine is also a "Campaign" . It may go along with the more gentle speech in the manual, the parts must become "accustomed" to each other during the break in period....:p

The tech is going to come out and install the "kit" on mine Wed weather permitting.

Glad they are paying close attention to the DPF/computer issues since that kind of problem is nothing we can fix.

Retired Iron Peddler

Equipment
GL5460 HSTC, LA1023 Loader, Land Pride 1072 Grapple, RTV 900
Jun 18, 2014
Mount Pleasant, TX
Today, I received a call from my Kubota dealer about a mandatory update on my L5460HSTC that I purchased last June. He is sending a tech out to my place next week to make the change which, if I understand correctly, is a short hose on the turbocharger intake.

Bill

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Today, I received a call from my Kubota dealer about a mandatory update on my L5460HSTC that I purchased last June. He is sending a tech out to my place next week to make the change which, if I understand correctly, is a short hose on the turbocharger intake.

Bill
I wonder if that is the same general problem as the recall on mine??? L3560 HST. It was described as for a bunch of the 60 series tractors. However the 3560 isn't turbocharged :confused: Maybe any airintake, and if it is a freezing problem something to dehumidify it???

johnstone

Equipment
Jun 30, 2014
Eastern Pennsylvania
My dealer finally came through with the info I was looking for. It's a shame that I had to be so persistent to get info from the dealer. Had the dealer been more upfront with this mandatory campaign I believe that it would have made everything easier for everyone involved. Here's the info in a nutshell.
This mandatory campaign only is for B series 3350 DPF regenerative repair procedure of certain serial numbers.
The issue was that DPF may not regenerate when necessary due to cold weather operations or reformer parts failure.
The solution, in my case, was to install a new thermostat in conjunction with an ECU reprogram. After testing, the reformer parts in question were OK on my tractor.
I'm glad that all worked out in the end, however it would be smart if Kubota notified their customers directly when they are doing a mandatory campaign instead of only notifying the dealer. If there's anything my dealer learned from this experience it's that an informed customer is a happy customer!
Anyone know what reformer parts are?

Retired Iron Peddler

Equipment
GL5460 HSTC, LA1023 Loader, Land Pride 1072 Grapple, RTV 900
Jun 18, 2014
Mount Pleasant, TX
It could be that the original hose deteriorates prematurely from heat or other environmental sources and could eventually allow unfiltered air to enter the engine. I'll ask the tech when he comes to my place to replace the hose this week and post his answer.

Bill

shredhawk

Equipment
B3350 tractor,snowblower, bucket
Jan 26, 2015
Ohio, USA
i talked to the mechanic at my dealership and he said the campaign was a hotter thermostat and a computer reprogram. He said it was not a big deal but to get this regen to work in cold weather there had to be a hotter engine. Sounds like a good idea to me.