Machining question for lynnmor

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I'm an amateur machinist.
Sometimes I need to find the center of a boss where I either don't want a mark in the center or it's too late to dimple it on the lathe.
In the attached pic I can use an edge finder to get one axis centered by using the jaw edges but in the other direction I'm not sure.
How would you do it?

Thanks,
Mike
IMGP0981.JPG

LostTrail

Equipment
MX6000, LA1065
May 22, 2024
MT
What's the machine? Bridgeport (vertical) mill? When you reference using an edge finder, are you meaning one of the chuck loaded that has the spring end that 'pop' off center when spinning and bumping the piece? If so, once you find center of the jaws (Y-axis, I assume?), you could then raise the quill (Z-axis) and find center on the perpendicular (X-axis). Just a thought, not knowing what all your using.

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
I put a 'swing-down' stop on the left side of my Kurt vise. I can easily use my edge finder to locate the back vise jaw as you describe, and them similarly locate the inside edge of the stop. Then the work goes in pushed against the stop as I tighten the vise.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I put the round in a collet if it's under an inch and a collet block on the bottom for clamping in the vice. Then move the vice until the square block kisses the fixed jaw then lower into the vice and clamp. Loosen the collet and replace with a drill chuck.

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
I bought a co-ax indicator on sale, but there are a lot of ways to do this. Blondihacks goes through a bunch of them here:

She does a great job on these videos; clear, calm and focused.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
What's the machine? Bridgeport (vertical) mill? When you reference using an edge finder, are you meaning one of the chuck loaded that has the spring end that 'pop' off center when spinning and bumping the piece? If so, once you find center of the jaws (Y-axis, I assume?), you could then raise the quill (Z-axis) and find center on the perpendicular (X-axis). Just a thought, not knowing what all your using.
It's a knee mill, Bridgeport style but Chinese.
Yes I use that kind of edge finder.
It doesn't work on a curved surface.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I put a 'swing-down' stop on the left side of my Kurt vise. I can easily use my edge finder to locate the back vise jaw as you describe, and them similarly locate the inside edge of the stop. Then the work goes in pushed against the stop as I tighten the vise.
I don't have a Kurt but I'm certainly jealous.
i like your stop but I can't always have the work pressed against it, the rod was just an example.

Reactions: 1 user

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I put the round in a collet if it's under an inch and a collet block on the bottom for clamping in the vice. Then move the vice until the square block kisses the fixed jaw then lower into the vice and clamp. Loosen the collet and replace with a drill chuck.
I've done similar but don't have a collet block. That would work in this case but it's just an example, I don't always have a rod to find center of.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Thanks for the replies guys.
Wow, Blondi has come a long way, I haven't watched for quite a while. She has better equipment now and has learned a lot.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I would mount an indicator in the spindle and swing it in similar to what Blondi did at approximately 9:40. Of course she had way too much problem since she can't divide by two. Hopefully you have an indicator so you can tram the milling machine head in and indicate the vise.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm an amateur machinist.
Sometimes I need to find the center of a boss where I either don't want a mark in the center or it's too late to dimple it on the lathe.
In the attached pic I can use an edge finder to get one axis centered by using the jaw edges but in the other direction I'm not sure.
How would you do it?

Thanks,
Mike View attachment 131641
With the sàme edge finder used to index the jaw on the vise.

if you dont already have one invest in one of these - they make things a LOT easier and faster. You can get a cheap one for half the cost of that the Fowler and probably just as good.

Dan

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
If you don’t have an indicator, put a square against the back jaw and slide it against the side of the pin and pick up the square blade with the edge finder and move over half the diameter.