M9000 clicks no start

Joe Hollas

Equipment
m9000
Sep 10, 2014
Cameron,TX
M9000, S/N 10692 2001 model. Ran fine then one am would not turn over only clicks from fuel solenoid.
I replaced fuel solenoid
Replaced all 3 relays behind dash.
All 3 red fuses up front are ok
Big fuse up front ok.
Got power to key switch and goin out
Bypasses neutral saftey switch
pto switch working
I can cross starter solenoid,engine will spin wont start even with key on.
Lights work
NO problems in the past with it.
What is the problem?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
It sounds like low voltage. Check the battery voltage before start is attempted. It should be about 12.6. Continue to monitor voltage at the battery when start is attempted. If it drops below ten volts or so you may need a new battery. Charge it and have it load tested. Disconnect cables at battery. Clean battery terminals and cable ends. Inspect cable ends near connectors for corrosion. If good replace on battery and tighten securely. If you can move them they're not tight. Follow the ground wire to the frame. Clean, inspect, and tighten. From here we'll start troubleshooting.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
M9000, S/N 10692 2001 model. Ran fine then one am would not turn over only clicks from fuel solenoid.
I replaced fuel solenoid
Replaced all 3 relays behind dash.
All 3 red fuses up front are ok
Big fuse up front ok.
Got power to key switch and goin out
Bypasses neutral saftey switch
pto switch working
I can cross starter solenoid,engine will spin wont start even with key on.
Lights work
NO problems in the past with it.
What is the problem?
Joe
I don't know your tractor so my comments are more generic and based upon the WSM.
The WSM shows there are different wiring systems, some with OPC i.e. Operator Presence Controller.
Having a cab changes the complexity of the wiring.
Do you have a cab.?
When I read your post, battery and cable issues jump to the top. You say only clicks from the fuel solenoid. That just screams poor electrical supply. Later in your post you talk about jumping the starter.
Could you please post photos of the top of your battery, the cables and finally where the negative cable attaches to the frame.
I am going to post some photos from previous owner problems to give you an idea of what I am suspecting.
Poor ground connections.jpg

battery cable repair end.jpg

poor positive connection.jpg

Battery cable repair end 3.jpg

Can you provide the part number of the engine stop solenoid you bought and is it a Kubota part or other.
Does the stop solenoid have 3 electrical terminals or two.
Can you verify fuel is being delivered to the injection pump?
If you remove the engine stop solenoid from the engine, do things change when you crank the engine by jumping the starter?
You state you can spin the engine and usually this means the battery and cables are OK but I would like to double check. When you jump the starter is the engine turning over. some owners do the jump improperly and only the starter spins.
When you say "lights work," if the headlights are on and you jump the starter do the lights dim significantly.
The starter wiring diagram shows a diode between the two stop solenoid terminals. There is also an oil pressure switch tied into the SS.
forum M9000 fuel diode.jpg
I I am not trying to question your knowledge and skills but playing doctor at a distance is a challenge and some terms mean different things to different people.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
I have an M6800, which has similar setup as yours. Under almost same conditions, I found my ground cable was itself faulty resulting in weak start. Replaced, problem solved. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Joe Hollas

Equipment
m9000
Sep 10, 2014
Cameron,TX
Joe
I don't know your tractor so my comments are more generic and based upon the WSM.
The WSM shows there are different wiring systems, some with OPC i.e. Operator Presence Controller.
Having a cab changes the complexity of the wiring.
Do you have a cab.?
When I read your post, battery and cable issues jump to the top. You say only clicks from the fuel solenoid. That just screams poor electrical supply. Later in your post you talk about jumping the starter.
Could you please post photos of the top of your battery, the cables and finally where the negative cable attaches to the frame.
I am going to post some photos from previous owner problems to give you an idea of what I am suspecting.
View attachment 107750
View attachment 107751
View attachment 107752
View attachment 107753

Can you provide the part number of the engine stop solenoid you bought and is it a Kubota part or other.
Does the stop solenoid have 3 electrical terminals or two.
Can you verify fuel is being delivered to the injection pump?
If you remove the engine stop solenoid from the engine, do things change when you crank the engine by jumping the starter?
You state you can spin the engine and usually this means the battery and cables are OK but I would like to double check. When you jump the starter is the engine turning over. some owners do the jump improperly and only the starter spins.
When you say "lights work," if the headlights are on and you jump the starter do the lights dim significantly.
The starter wiring diagram shows a diode between the two stop solenoid terminals. There is also an oil pressure switch tied into the SS.
View attachment 107755 I I am not trying to question your knowledge and skills but playing doctor at a distance is a challenge and some terms mean different things to different people.

Dave
Where is the #8 dioed located? I saw it listed in the diagram but did not find it on the diagram. Thanks for diagram.
Since I first posted this problem, I have replace 3 more relays behind the dash, located on the right side.
Still no change.
I found a relay at the front of the tractor by the overflo and unplugged it and it was getting power.I tried jumping across from power to other terminals but still nothing.
Thanks for help
Joe

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Where is the #8 dioed located? I saw it listed in the diagram but did not find it on the diagram. Thanks for diagram.
Since I first posted this problem, I have replace 3 more relays behind the dash, located on the right side.
Still no change.
I found a relay at the front of the tractor by the overflo and unplugged it and it was getting power.I tried jumping across from power to other terminals but still nothing.
Thanks for help
Joe
Reminding you I am not a M9000 expert.
Looking at a parts diagram and on line I find an image showing two small diodes which are plugged in to a electrical terminal.
forum M9000 diode parts.jpg

Here is a poor image of the diode.

forum M9000 diode image.jpg

I do not know why there are two diodes and I do not know what function they perform but they should be checked as one is shown near the engine stop solenoid.

Dave