M5500DT to buy - or not to buy

E&S_aus

Equipment
2 x B7100HST with 60" MMM
Sep 20, 2012
NSW, Aust
Am looking for a @55-60HP tractor primarily to use with a 7-8ft 3PL mower or 5-5 1/2ft slasher (bush-hog).
Need 4WD to access a paddock via steep trail (2wd won't safely come back up a steep section of trail).

Have come across a M5500DT mainly been used as vineyard sprayer since acquired by 2nd owner in early 90's.
Has estimated 3300hrs, is generally clean and been shedded.
Couple of fluid leaks and slight wiggle in PTO shaft.
Can't view machine yet as is >1000km away.

The main negative suggesting this could be a foolhardy buy are that there seem to be very few M5500's around on the market these days.
Does this indicate availability of spare parts might become a problem if something major goes wrong for this late 70's early 80's machine?
I can't find much info on the D3000-A 3ltr 3 cyl engine - is it bulletproof like most other Kubotas?

I see waterpumps, alternators & starter motors available.
Have yet to have a chat with the service guys at my local dealer on any known issues & parts availability.

Bodywork seems based on the Fiat 640 of the era & I recall reading somewhere Kubota built this & some other models using Fiat design with Kubota motor - but I don't know how much (if any) part compatibility there is in the gearbox & running gear.

Interested on what some of the wise folk here might think.

Last edited: