M4500/ S2600 Engine

IslandCountry

Equipment
M4500DT
Apr 16, 2023
Vancouver Island
Hello community, Bran new here and will spend a few evenings searching through but I wanted to get the word out as well.
I have two 1982 M4500DT, one of which I have redone the top end and has proven to be a great tractor. 1900 original hours.

The other I have just acquired and is missing all parts that you would remove to complete a head gasket repair. And I mean everything! I have been told that the parts have been disposed of.
If someone out there and hopefully in British Columbia had a blown engine (S2600) that would be Ideal. I would be happy to hear from anyone with suggestions or to see what else you may have.
Engine serial number in question: 12233 6400 original hours
I do want to see this old girl up and running again, if not it will have to do as a parts donor for my other tractor.
Thank you all
Matt

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hello community, Bran new here and will spend a few evenings searching through but I wanted to get the word out as well.
I have two 1982 M4500DT, one of which I have redone the top end and has proven to be a great tractor. 1900 original hours.

The other I have just acquired and is missing all parts that you would remove to complete a head gasket repair. And I mean everything! I have been told that the parts have been disposed of.
If someone out there and hopefully in British Columbia had a blown engine (S2600) that would be Ideal. I would be happy to hear from anyone with suggestions or to see what else you may have.
I do want to see this old girl up and running again, if not it will have to do as a parts donor for my other tractor.
Thank you all
Matt
I would think that at 6400 hours you would want to completely rebuild that engine.
Especially, since it obviously came to you in non running condition (a compression test not possible).
Is the tractor worth a complete engine rebuild?

AliExpress "Yannel store" (China) has a new replacement head, with free shipping for $900 USD ($1200 CAD + Canada import duty).
Then of course, you might need $900? (CAD) additional parts and pieces if you JUST replaced the head.
So.......probably $2,000+ CAD total, just to replace the head.
Much more if a full engine rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

IslandCountry

Equipment
M4500DT
Apr 16, 2023
Vancouver Island
I would think that at 6400 hours you would want to completely rebuild that engine.
Especially, since it obviously came to you in non running condition (a compression test not possible).
Is the tractor worth a complete engine rebuild?
At a minimum, you would need to source a new, or refurbished used head, and that alone could be very pricey.
Hello. I have a used head and have access to a new one as well. If it runs the tractor would have light use. It spent its life mowing grass as far as I was told.
tractor itself is in great shape and am not apposed to rebuilding. But I cannot make that decision without the rest of the parts being available.
Tractor ran before head was removed to repair the all too common head gasket or cracked head.
I have with the tractor
-2 injector lines
- valve cover
Thanks it.. no valve train, etc. I really would need a complete donor scenario. I know that might be rare but you never know.
Thank you for your reply

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hello. I have a used head and have access to a new one as well. If it runs the tractor would have light use. It spent its life mowing grass as far as I was told.
tractor itself is in great shape and am not apposed to rebuilding. But I cannot make that decision without the rest of the parts being available.
Tractor ran before head was removed to repair the all too common head gasket or cracked head.
I have with the tractor
-2 injector lines
- valve cover
Thanks it.. no valve train, etc. I really would need a complete donor scenario. I know that might be rare but you never know.
Thank you for your reply
I would recommend beginning your parts search by contacting: thekubotaguy.com, in Salem, Ohio

Reactions: 1 user

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
...AliExpress "Yannel store" (China) has a new replacement head, with free shipping ...
Thanks for posting, I hadn't come across that supplier before. BTW, it's Yannal store, not Yannel.

IslandCountry

Equipment
M4500DT
Apr 16, 2023
Vancouver Island
Well folks, I ended up finding a complete parts tractor! And I put this machine back in service. Pretty fun project and it runs great.

Attachments

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Impressive!
Thanks for the photos.
The wheels... are they just to get it mobile (different from the ones in the original parts photo), or what you intend to use?

IslandCountry

Equipment
M4500DT
Apr 16, 2023
Vancouver Island
The turf tires came with the tractor that I wanted to rebuild.
that ag tires came with the parts mess.
That ag tires will serves as spares for the other M4500dt with the loader

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
The turf tires came with the tractor that I wanted to rebuild.
that ag tires came with the parts mess.
That ag tires will serves as spares for the other M4500dt with the loader
Thanks. It looked to me like the relative sizes (front vs rear) were different from original tyres and might lead to 4wd binding.

Graysky

Equipment
m4500dt
May 31, 2024
Sandpoint ID

Thank you all
Matt
Thanks. It looked to me like the relative sizes (front vs rear) were different from original tyres and might lead to 4wd binding.

Graysky

Equipment
m4500dt
May 31, 2024
Sandpoint ID
looking for electrical parts , meters lights ect. mouse family ate well. also cant find the the coolant switch location 84 m4500dt ? thanks