M120 3 pt lift problem

hayman

Equipment
M120, M9000
Jan 23, 2011
Salisbury, NC usa
M120 3 pt lift is in default mode. Dash light flashing fast and 3 pt functions will not work. It did this some a couple months ago when using the lift. Was able to turn off and re-boot and it would work again. Now it won't reboot. Dealer said that only way they know to test is to hook up another control module and see if that fixes it. Great but that is a 1200.00 part and is a non-refundable part due to being electrical. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Darrell

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Might have some luck if you disconnect the control module; clean and dry the pins and then plug it in again??? You've probably done that ----------

Kubota1

Equipment
Kubota m120
Jan 23, 2013
Montgomery Alabama
I have a m120 with 14200 hours and yes the hours are right best tractor I could imagine use it everyday. I had a problem with my lift and it was the valve body above the internal lift cylinder I took it off and replaced the orings and it made it work. The part they wanted to replace cost about 800 . M120 s biggest problems is bad orings but wouldn't trade it for nothing.

hayman71

Equipment
M8540, New Holland TM130
Aug 6, 2013
alabama
Didi check to see if you may have kicked the fast/slow switch below the front of the seat. I had a M125X that I would hit with my foot sometimes and it would make the lift seem to not work if it was in the slow side.

Ahicks

Equipment
M120
Aug 6, 2023
Canada
M120 3 pt lift is in default mode. Dash light flashing fast and 3 pt functions will not work. It did this some a couple months ago when using the lift. Was able to turn off and re-boot and it would work again. Now it won't reboot. Dealer said that only way they know to test is to hook up another control module and see if that fixes it. Great but that is a 1200.00 part and is a non-refundable part due to being electrical. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Darrell
Same problem, I have been playing with this for years. At one point I had the dealer come look quoted me about 3000 for parts so I took the computers out sanded the ground and used contact cleaner on all the pins. It worked and also got rid of the rough shifting. Now it back, started rough shifting and 3 pth errors won't reset. Took the rake off and started baling, the 3pth light cleared. It's got to be electrical but where?

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I am thinking you have a fretting concern, have you tried some dielectric grease(GM solution) or an electrochemical stabilant 22s(German car companies). I have solved many concerns with both of these, the stabilant 22 is crazy expensive, but, a little goes a long way(my bottle is about 7 years old. I have mostly used these for airbag concerns, where the module has to see certain resistance(think .6-2.4 ohms). I suspect that Kubota modules are just as sensitive as they are probably using PWM switches for the three point control, also Kubota modules have to live in an very inhospitable environment.

Ahicks

Equipment
M120
Aug 6, 2023
Canada
I am thinking you have a fretting concern, have you tried some dielectric grease(GM solution) or an electrochemical stabilant 22s(German car companies). I have solved many concerns with both of these, the stabilant 22 is crazy expensive, but, a little goes a long way(my bottle is about 7 years old. I have mostly used these for airbag concerns, where the module has to see certain resistance(think .6-2.4 ohms). I suspect that Kubota modules are just as sensitive as they are probably using PWM switches for the three point control, also Kubota modules have to live in an very inhospitable environment.
This is better, an alternative or should be used in conjunction with a contact cleaner?

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Contact cleaner is just that, a cleaner does nothing to prevent the issue from coming back. In my experience contact cleaner is kinda worthless(it does have it's uses). Curious on what Kubota uses to check terminal tension as I have found this is a real concern for intermittent/constant concerns.
Where the GM dielectric grease is a silica-thickened dimethyl silicone fluid has a broad temperature range of -65°F to 400°F. It is oxidation and radiation resistant. Water repellent. Non-corrosive. Chemically inactive and has a long shelf life. Also can lube the rear window so it does not stick. So basically keeps the frettinga(corrosion) from forming.
Stabilant 22A is a electrical contact enhancer for electrical contacts. All connectors using low currents are subject to vibration and fretting wear, over time small pieces of metal shears from the contact causing oxidation and corrosion. This affects the electrical performance. As long as the connector is weather proof this is a better product to enhance the connection of the electrical circuit.

• Stabilant 22 is the world's first electronic contact enhancer. It is an initially non-conductive block polymer which when used in a thin film between metal contacts becomes conductive under the effect of an electrical field. This occurs at an electric field gradient such that the material will remain non-conductive between adjacent contacts in a multiple-pin environment.
  • In addition, Stabilant 22 exhibits surfactant action, as well as lubrication ability providing a single component resident solution to virtually all contact problems. When applied to electromechanical contacts, Stabilant 22 can provide the connection reliability of a soldered joint without bonding the contact surfaces.
You have to apply it to all contacts within that circuit. This means switches, relays, modules, and whatnot. This would explain why it stopped when you sanded the pins, but now is back. Fretting is more of a concern now than it used to be because the terminals are getting smaller(GM and others are now using micro 64 terminals now which have a total of .5 mm squared of total surface contact) and on some circuits it is no longer on/off but a PWM( Pulse width modulation) within a circuit. Hopefully this helps you understand and isolate the circuit. Without having the dealer play/pray with replacing modules to resolve a concern.

Ahicks

Equipment
M120
Aug 6, 2023
Canada
Contact cleaner is just that, a cleaner does nothing to prevent the issue from coming back. In my experience contact cleaner is kinda worthless(it does have it's uses). Curious on what Kubota uses to check terminal tension as I have found this is a real concern for intermittent/constant concerns.
Where the GM dielectric grease is a silica-thickened dimethyl silicone fluid has a broad temperature range of -65°F to 400°F. It is oxidation and radiation resistant. Water repellent. Non-corrosive. Chemically inactive and has a long shelf life. Also can lube the rear window so it does not stick. So basically keeps the frettinga(corrosion) from forming.
Stabilant 22A is a electrical contact enhancer for electrical contacts. All connectors using low currents are subject to vibration and fretting wear, over time small pieces of metal shears from the contact causing oxidation and corrosion. This affects the electrical performance. As long as the connector is weather proof this is a better product to enhance the connection of the electrical circuit.

• Stabilant 22 is the world's first electronic contact enhancer. It is an initially non-conductive block polymer which when used in a thin film between metal contacts becomes conductive under the effect of an electrical field. This occurs at an electric field gradient such that the material will remain non-conductive between adjacent contacts in a multiple-pin environment.
  • In addition, Stabilant 22 exhibits surfactant action, as well as lubrication ability providing a single component resident solution to virtually all contact problems. When applied to electromechanical contacts, Stabilant 22 can provide the connection reliability of a soldered joint without bonding the contact surfaces.
You have to apply it to all contacts within that circuit. This means switches, relays, modules, and whatnot. This would explain why it stopped when you sanded the pins, but now is back. Fretting is more of a concern now than it used to be because the terminals are getting smaller(GM and others are now using micro 64 terminals now which have a total of .5 mm squared of total surface contact) and on some circuits it is no longer on/off but a PWM( Pulse width modulation) within a circuit. Hopefully this helps you understand and isolate the circuit. Without having the dealer play/pray with replacing modules to resolve a concern.
Thank you very much for taking the time to educate me. You are correct, it sounds like what I am currently struggling with.

Ahicks

Equipment
M120
Aug 6, 2023
Canada
I had a conversation with a Kubota mechanic who has 20 years of experience at my local dealership. I paid him $150.00 for a 2-minute conversation. He mentioned that the 3-point hitch controller on the side console is usually the source of the problem. The part is quoted at $2300.

Reactions: 1 user

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I had a conversation with a Kubota mechanic who has 20 years of experience at my local dealership. I paid him $150.00 for a 2-minute conversation. He mentioned that the 3-point hitch controller on the side console is usually the source of the problem. The part is quoted at $2300.
He is right! It is relatively easy to bypass the controller and provide basic up and down. The outside control on the rear fender actually does this. You don't have position or draft control but it will go up and down and hold.