LP RTA1258 Tiller - Busted Seal???

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
I'm editing my original post as I found in the manual where it shows that the top bolt in the pic below is the breather plug.

So now my question is, should I be seeing this much oil venting? Is it normal for oil to need to vent or could it be a symptom that something else might be wrong. The reason I wonder, while the tiller is fairly new I have have used it a bit over the last year tilling garden spots. I'd never seen any oil leaking until today, when I was tilling food plots and got into some hay twine that wrapped itself around the tines. When I got down to cut out the twine I saw the oil.

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
It all depends on a couple of things. If it was overfilled with oil and worked harder because of the twine, then normal. If not then I would be worried.

The vent plug is there to let off pressure to prevent blowing the seals.

I have that tiller and have never had any oil leak.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
That is nothing to worry about at all. Normal venting. Could be a touch over full, but nothing to worry about.

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Great, thanks for the replies fellas. It makes sense that the twine tangling up in there made it work harder and caused the oil to vent out, it's good to have confirmation from someone who knows though. Honestly at first I didn't even realize there was a vent there, when I saw the oil leaking down I just knew I'd tore something up. :eek:

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Maybe wanna check to see if it’s mixed with water? Has it been out in the rain much? The oil will float on the water and that makes the gear box over full. Same happened to me on a bush hog.

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Maybe wanna check to see if it’s mixed with water? Has it been out in the rain much? The oil will float on the water and that makes the gear box over full. Same happened to me on a bush hog.
Thanks, I'll check that. In my case I want to say it seems an unlikely culprit, but I certainly can't rule it out. I do keep my implements in a pole barn and they stay pretty dry, but the tiller was on a side shed so I suppose it's possible a driving rain (we've had a few the last few months) could've gotten it soaked.