Low hour B3200. Hot restart issue

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
My B3200 is a 2010 with only 160 hrs on it. The battery and starter are in great shape and it cranks well when hot, it just won't fire. You can crank it and while cranking let off of the key and it starts.
I'm 65 yrs old and started working on VW's when I was about 13. They would have the same problem on hot starts. Their issue was low voltage to the ignition coil. We solved it with a relay. I have wondered if the fuel solenoid is acting the same. I have gone through ALL of the connections, ignition switch and such. The tractor is parked inside out of the weather.
Anyone experience this issue?

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I'm 65 yrs old and started working on VW's when I was about 13.
Uh oh, so there's the problem right up front!
Sorry we can't help you now!
Kubota key switches are known to have some high resistance in some cases, there is most likely a also a stop solenoid relay in the circuit, also check the plug/socket connections on the relay, also the fuses, unplug them and replug, a slightly increased resistance connection will cause voltage drop, there may be wear in the solenoid itself. Check ground connection to tractor and ensure solenoid is tight. You could also pull the solenoid and ground it and watch to ensure both pull-in and hold-in coils are working, depending on the coil itself. Do you have a wiring diagram for it?

Last edited:

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
So you are saying that Kubotas are not like VW's? ;)
What is wierd is that 6 volt VW's would do the EXACT same thing. You would crank it and if you let off of the key at the right time, the engine would start.
I DO have the factory shop manual. Off hand, where is the fuel solenoid relay located? behind the speedometer? I just find it odd that this issue shows up with so few hours. I'll pull the ignition switch again. Funny thing is that we would replace the ignition switches on the VW's and most times it didn't fix it.
The "Hard Start" repair was to use a Relay that was energized when the starter was engaged. The relay took power right at the starter battery post and sent it to the ignition coil. This cut out the voltage loss.

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Post up the wiring diagram, is it a dual circuit coil, dual fused supply, ground to case? Relay would likely be behind dash, WSM should show it. Also I expect you may have OPC relay, post up the diagram perhaps. If you have a jumper cable, jumper ground from battery to solenoid case for a check.
Yes the 6 volt air cooled (or was that air heated) vdubs!

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Didn't the vdubs have a starter/generator back then, or am I thinking of another engine?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Try to have key on and someone jumper the starter directly so you can see if it starts that way easier. If so, that shows some problem in switch at crank position

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Didn't the vdubs have a starter/generator back then, or am I thinking of another engine?

I had a 1954 VW convertible, a 1956 bug and a microbus. All had conventional starters and generators.

Getting a gas heater changed the cold weather experience completely. Lots of fond memories about how flexible I was back then re back seat.

Dave

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop

I had a 1954 VW convertible, a 1956 bug and a microbus. All had conventional starters and generators.

Getting a gas heater changed the cold weather experience completely. Lots of fond memories about how flexible I was back then re back seat.

Dave
Yeah, well, we won't go into the back seat Dave............
I must have been thinking of another engine, I recall them on small machinery and possibly very small aircraft engines?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Yeah, well, we won't go into the back seat Dave............
I must have been thinking of another engine, I recall them on small machinery and possibly very small aircraft engines?
Thinking of me in back seat of anything today would not be a pretty sight.

My recollection is that early garden tractors, mid 1970 International Harvester cubs, had a large external generator which charged the battery and then became a motor to turn the engine over. Generator was mounted vertically beside the engine and was driven and drove using a V belt.

Something not possible with an alternator I think
Dave

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Something not possible with an alternator I think
Dave
Starter generators did the job, but required maintenance.
What they are doing with "hybrid" alternators now in stop start car engines, you could hardly imagine, they are using them to stop the engines at precise points in the engine stroke, then squirt in some fuel and firing the plug to restart the engine when you put your foot on the gas pedal, no use of starter motor, lot's of different scenarios I believe.