Loose front axle on BX?

Bruh44

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 29, 2023
North Carolina
I was servicing my BX2380 yesterday. I put the front up on ramps and began to use a floor jack on the back in the center. The tractor started tipping over. It wasn't high enough were in was dangerous or anything, but I found that odd. I pushed the tractor back to the center and it tipped the other way. Is that front axle supposed to be that loose to allow it to tip like that? I feel like I should tighten it up.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes, most tractors are constructed such that the rear axle is not articulating, but the front axle is allowed to pivot. Been that way for many, many decades.

If both axles were immovable, the tractor would lose traction in many circumstances. Would be a bear to drive in any terrain. Would just bounce between the axles, with wheels/tires coming off the ground.

I'm drawing a blank for the proper term for a non-articulating axle..... :oops: Fixed?!?!?:confused:

I had a birthday this week, and my brains have all fallen out....

Well, probably not due to my birthday...;)

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
While the front axle is certainly pivoting in the center, as designed, there are limits to how much it can travel. So the OP may have noticed that while it rotated to one side or the other, it stopped. Either because one of the rear wheels touched the ground, or because a front axle travel stop was reached.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
As stated, the front axle articulates. It's easy to put shims on either side of the axle to keep it from articulating left or right while jacking up the rear.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just don't get it on the freeway over 60 and you'll be fine!🥴:ROFLMAO:

As stated above perfectly normal! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
It is ever more scary when you are helping to split a tractor and notice the wedges are not installed just as the front half is coming off the studs.

Bruh44

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 29, 2023
North Carolina
Ok, I know it’s supposed to pivot there. It just seemed a little extreme to me how easy it shifted side to side. I thought it should be tightened up. Glad to hear I don’t have more work on this thing in my immediate future.