looking for a electronic tach

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I have a D950 engine in a hydraulic power pack and am looking for a electronic type tachometer for it. Since most of the older Kubota tractors used mechanical tachs, has anyone found a electronic style tach?

I would assume that it would run off the alternator signal or I guess I could add a pickup on the flywheel?

Thanks, David

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have a D950 engine in a hydraulic power pack and am looking for a electronic type tachometer for it. Since most of the older Kubota tractors used mechanical tachs, has anyone found a electronic style tach?

I would assume that it would run off the alternator signal or I guess I could add a pickup on the flywheel?

Thanks, David
This http://tinytach.com/diesel.php Is the coolest one I know of! It gets a signal from the swelling of a injector line!

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
That's the one I was going to suggest. Haven't used one (though I will shortly) but I hear about them from time to time. Always good things.

sparkymiller

Equipment
B5100DT
Mar 3, 2013
Greensville,Ont.Canada
Problem with them...you cannot replace the battery !! Only good for about 6-8 years..makes it kindy pricey in the long run.
I made my own for about $40 using a bigger display as well.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Thanks for the ideas, I think I will look into the tiny tach.

On a side note, does anyone know where the mechanical tach hooks into the engine on a D950?

David

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Problem with them...you cannot replace the battery !! Only good for about 6-8 years..makes it kindy pricey in the long run.
I made my own for about $40 using a bigger display as well.
I think we are all waiting for your design to build your own tach!!
Please post a parts list or pictures or something.

sparkymiller

Equipment
B5100DT
Mar 3, 2013
Greensville,Ont.Canada
Super simple, take almost any PIC ( 16F648),add a 2x16 LCD module,wee bit of code and the sensor.I used an optical sensor(think PC mouse) for the pulse pickup,though if gas, off the points works very well,or wrap 4 turns of wire over #1 plug.I used a 4x20 display so I could make 'old man' sized numbers.Power comes from battery through small switching power supply,couple of pushbuttons for 'setup'.
There are tons of 'tachometer projects' on the Web,classic 'school project'.You can get plain or fancy all depends on what you like.
Cost...PIC $2,LCD $5,sensor $4, case $5,misc $10..Code...about 3 nights...

Jay

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Super simple, take almost any PIC ( 16F648),add a 2x16 LCD module,wee bit of code and the sensor.I used an optical sensor(think PC mouse) for the pulse pickup,though if gas, off the points works very well,or wrap 4 turns of wire over #1 plug.I used a 4x20 display so I could make 'old man' sized numbers.Power comes from battery through small switching power supply,couple of pushbuttons for 'setup'.
There are tons of 'tachometer projects' on the Web,classic 'school project'.You can get plain or fancy all depends on what you like.
Jay
Well, I'm glad that's all cleared up.:confused:

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio

Jay
sounds good, now you got my brain stewing. i could build a sweet hour meter, maintenance moniter, tach with an arduino.

sparkymiller

Equipment
B5100DT
Mar 3, 2013
Greensville,Ont.Canada
Yup, any micro will do..I just have 20+ years of PICs and it's too hard for me to change, though the $35 RaspberryPI is mighty tempting !
Though I did 'jump ship' and bought this 'project' Kubota....my 5 other tractors are all older Allis-Chalmers!!