Little info on what to charge?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
This question has previously arisen in this Forum. And generated a HUGE amount of interest.

There are many many more considerations than just "your" time: some aspects have been touched on here, e.g., mobilization. One BIG aspect you must consider is some kind of accounting to pay for your machine being "used up" as you use it.

A smaller machine with operator at $50 per hour is I suspect marginal for
(1) your salary (2) machine hours (wear and tear) (3) fuel (4) trip to and from (trailer cost, trailer tires, truck wear and tear) (5) incremental costs for mainteance (that 10 hours used up 2% of your next hydraulic fluid change and maybe 10% of your next oil change--not to mention tires, belts, fuel filter) (6) business overhead costs incurred (truck door sign, business cards, gimme ball cap, new necktie for sales calls, advertising).

There were many experienced voices chimed in, in the past, all with good advice. I added my two cents (where did the cents sign on the keyboard go?). Do a search for my posting name Stubbyie and look for topics related to 'what to charge'. You'll get great information from all posters related to and based on a business perspective.

Please post back your thoughts and how you proceed so we may all learn.

rquad

Equipment
B2710, 48" Land Pride cutter, 48" Land Pride box blade
Oct 16, 2014
GA
Just to throw in some regional info, I've seen a couple of one-man-shop guys advertise on craigslist near Atlanta to do all sorts of tractor work for $50 per hour. I plan to use that rate when/if I jump on the bandwagon, but I'll be doing it to subsidize the cost of my toy - not to make a living.

I haven't priced "real" contractors, but I think they start around $50/hr WITHOUT machinery.

I appreciated the comments regarding insurance and contracts. Good things to keep in mind when trying to grab a few extra bucks. Locate request? You'd be crazy to skip that step. It's an extra couple of days to wait, but it's free and could save your life. That's a no-brainer.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This question has previously arisen in this Forum. And generated a HUGE amount of interest.

There are many many more considerations than just "your" time: some aspects have been touched on here, e.g., mobilization. One BIG aspect you must consider is some kind of accounting to pay for your machine being "used up" as you use it.

A smaller machine with operator at $50 per hour is I suspect marginal for
(1) your salary (2) machine hours (wear and tear) (3) fuel (4) trip to and from (trailer cost, trailer tires, truck wear and tear) (5) incremental costs for mainteance (that 10 hours used up 2% of your next hydraulic fluid change and maybe 10% of your next oil change--not to mention tires, belts, fuel filter) (6) business overhead costs incurred (truck door sign, business cards, gimme ball cap, new necktie for sales calls, advertising).

There were many experienced voices chimed in, in the past, all with good advice. I added my two cents (where did the cents sign on the keyboard go?). Do a search for my posting name Stubbyie and look for topics related to 'what to charge'. You'll get great information from all posters related to and based on a business perspective.

Please post back your thoughts and how you proceed so we may all learn.

Stubbyie, (off subject)

looking for the cents key?

hold the ALT key down - hit in order 0162 ......... "¢"

Hans1214

Equipment
BX25 BXPanded forks, lights, under armor, thumb and tooth bar. 24" BH bucket
Jul 4, 2014
Pee Dee, SC USA
I'm like you in the 50/hour 85Hokie. I charge about that depending on the job and how far I have to travel. Have done jobs for friends that I made fifty cents an hour but that is so different than paying jobs.