Lawn Vac for BX

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Anyone who has a BX series tractor can recommend a good lawn vacuum? Never owned one before so am new with this implement. Not sure if toe behind or 3 point is better. Looked at a few on google search. Tow behind looks alright but don't know if that hose would attach to my mower deck. Appreciate any help or suggestions. This would be for my BX1880. Thanks.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370: LA243 F.E.L.&CW, 60" MMM, chipper, flail, 3rd fn, 3pt T&T; Cyclone Rake
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
If you want to vacuum your lawn as if you had a Dyson, take a look at the Cyclone Rake.

Shortcomings are:
  • Price.
  • Turning: It mounts to the 3-point hitch and the wheels swivel, so it's like driving a fork-truck, but being seated toward the front rather than the rear.
  • Backing up: You aim your tractor and have faith the trailer will catch up, which it will, and then it'll over-correct, and re-correct, and.... Basically aim your tractor and don't worry what the thing does, it'll wander around like a drunk but always wind up heading the right general direction.
  • Holes: The wheels are sturdy, but you have to not catch them in potholes, especially backing up.
For all of the above you basically want to remember slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

It's designed incredibly well and everything "just works" and is "really convenient." On my unit the float bowl and fuel tank has been drained before storage and refilled with fresh fuel before use, and so far has always started with one pull--one. It has electric start and there's no need to use it--that's an example of what I mean by "really convenient." The trailer tilts too, so when it's full undo the back, tilt it up, drive forward a bit, close it back up, go back to sucking.

If you can accept the shortcomings it sucks up everything, sticks, dog poop, the neighbor's cat--no wait, that didn't actually happen. You do have to be careful of sticks in the flex tube when disconnecting the unit though.

The thing sucks--really sucks, and that's why people buy them.

IMG_20240430_134329.jpg
(mounted on a Kubota BX2370)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
bought a used one ( came with rider..which I wanted ). Cyclone needed a new impeller($$$) was worn out . Local dealer had EA's business philosophy... pay 100% upfront and no delivery date. I passed, sold the cyclone 'asis-whereis', with no loss to me.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Towing a DR trailer vac behind my BS2380. Does a great job. I'm using the Kubota deck adapter to connect the hose to the trailer. The Kubota adapter is pricey, but it's a perfect fit, and it goes on/off in seconds with no tools.

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I have a Cyclone rake for mine but I wouldn't buy it again. Had lots of trouble with hose plugging in the beginning that they finally straightened out with a smaller hose. The darn engine is right behind you and with the BX sucking air for the radiator from the back the gas fumes are pulled right past you stinking up your clothes. Also had to build a lift to pick the blower off so I didn't hurt my back with that 80 pound assembly. It does work good now though. Here's one of the videos from when I first got it getting it set up and mounted.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Thanks for the replies folks. Here is the least expensive one….

How well will these things pick up such as grass, egg corns, small sticks, etc.. The end that attaches to the deck, is it universal or do I need to buy Kubota deck adapter? Do I need to look at the larger cyclone rake? Any other brands to consider? Thanks for helping me on this. My old ass bones just doesn’t like raking or getting on my bad knees and back to pick crap up.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Buy the largest Cyclone Rake that you can find used. Don't buy a new one because they are quite expensive. I bought one when they first came out, and the bag went to hell in a month. They replaced it, and the replacement wasn't much better. I have seen where some people put a piece of masonite in place of the rear flap. I still own mine but I haven't used it in many years. Buying a new bag was way too expensive for what it is.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Thanks for the replies folks. Here is the least expensive one….

How well will these things pick up such as grass, egg corns, small sticks, etc.. The end that attaches to the deck, is it universal or do I need to buy Kubota deck adapter? Do I need to look at the larger cyclone rake? Any other brands to consider? Thanks for helping me on this. My old ass bones just doesn’t like raking or getting on my bad knees and back to pick crap up.
That one is only good for up to a 40 inch deck. For a 54 or 60 you need the big one. Sticks will jam up in the adapter immediately. Mine is good for grass and leaves. The adapter they come with must be cut, fit, and mounted.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
they must pickup stones real good....that had to be why the 'rubber' fan wore out on the one I had.

also wear GOOD ear protection, if you don't already ! screaming engine on it is worse than 3 kids in the back seat on a 300 mile trip....

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Anyone who has a BX series tractor can recommend a good lawn vacuum? Never owned one before so am new with this implement. Not sure if toe behind or 3 point is better. Looked at a few on google search. Tow behind looks alright but don't know if that hose would attach to my mower deck. Appreciate any help or suggestions. This would be for my BX1880. Thanks.
As an alternative, have you thought of or looked into a 3pt. PTO powered leaf blower? Depending on your specific situation and use....it could be a good option.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370: LA243 F.E.L.&CW, 60" MMM, chipper, flail, 3rd fn, 3pt T&T; Cyclone Rake
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
The LX model isn't *that* loud with the 8 HP Vanguard Pro engine on it, but it is loud enough with the tractor running/mowing that I wear hearing protection. (I certainly couldn't put up with kids, the sucker is fine with earpro.) Ya gotta figure there's a lot going on with driving and mowing and blowing and sucking.

I lift the engine on/off myself, but I'm not that old either. I don't have the front wheel they now seem to come with, so that will be a purchase before Fall.

I read the Cyclone Rake is much more powerful than the LandPride PTO unit, and that the Cyclone holds a lot more, but other than repeating what's on OTT I can't say regarding the PTO unit.

The Cyclone I have is built well and lasted the previous owner just fine, though at that time the Kubota adapter for a 60" MMM was extra and I now own the smaller generic mount and the larger Kubota mount.

If your deck doesn't much sticks they may get "trapped in the tube." Not sure what people expect with that one, pick them up before mowing or hope they get mulched: it's not a tree vacuum, or a branch squancher, ya need a flail mower for those shenanigans.

As far as acorns and rocks, if you mow low they'll go. Raise the deck a little.

One more thing, it stores nice. I remove the engine (it has rollers and wheels into the corner), fold the bag down, and tip the trailer and bag upright. The tube is bulky though.

Last edited:

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I can say Cyclone Rake has excellent support if you buy what they recommend new. My new 10 inch had serious plugging issues with my grass type when new. First they designed a new bag with larger grid area for exhaust and replaced the bag. Next they prototyped a deflector for the bag entry that also helped some. Finally they sent 2 engineers to my home to try and figure it out ( about 8 hours each way ) In the end they figured the velocity of the clippings was too slow around the outside of the 10 inch hose for my grass type allowing the clippings to fall from the flow and build up in the hose. As they built up the blower airflow kept dropping from the higher static pressure causing the plugs. They sent out a 8 inch blower and hose that I swapped the 10 hp motor to and no more plugs since. There is some witchcraft in these when it comes to different varieties of grass.

Grass is abrasive at high speeds and the impellers do wear and need replacement if you use yours a lot for grass.

The biggest issue with the Z10 is the way it swings around behind my BX. Once partially full with grass the weight will spin you around uncontrollable fairly easy. With light leaves no problem but I mainly use mine for grass clippings to mulch the garden.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Thanks folks. Found a used one on CL for $1000. Will keep looking around to see if I can get lucky getting a less expensive used one. I looked at their bundle specials. $3200. Way more than I want to spend. A blower won’t work so need a vacuum.

Reactions: 2 users

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I thought about switching to a DR but they also have the exhaust pointing forward towards the tractor. That makes my clothes stinky and the machine sound louder. My wife has chemical sensitivity and I have to swap clothes before entering the house so she doesn't get sick after I use my cyclone rake and that would be no better for my situation. Don't know your deck size but I looked at a similar agrifab machine at tractor supply and was told they have problems over 48 inches.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I have used an old DR Vac for years in the fall behind my lawn tractor and more recently behind my zero turn. It works well but can plug the hose from time to time and it is a pain to unclog. I would consider a cyclone rake if the soft side issues have been resolved. My DR has hard sides and only one hole in it over the 15 plus years of using it and that was self inflicted turning it into one of the tractor implements.:LOL:

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I had a (well) used Agri-Fab for several years. Towed it behind a JD X360. It did a 'fair' job, but was limited by its 6" hose and its small (B&S 5hp) engine.

I sold it (for more than I'd paid for it!) and got the DR "Pro XL" about 5 or 6 years ago. Used it with the JD for a couple years, and now with the BX2380. It's a brute! the 8" hose almost never clogs (unless the leaves or clippings are very wet) and the much bigger (16+ lbs ft) engine and big STEEL impeller provide plenty of suction. I put a trailer hitch on it and tow it with a 1-7/8" ball from the draw bar on the 2380.

Would I buy the DR Pro again? No, but only because they've come out with a newer, bigger, model with power dumping of the trailer. The Pro dumps easily enough, but Hey! I'm getting older (and lazier :rolleyes:).

Reactions: 1 users