LA1153 loader on M7040 cracked frame

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
So at HSC we have a good sized orange, while giving it a cleaning I went to wipe off a smear of grease from the loader mounting bracket on the left side to find out that the hefty cast bracket is cracked.

So this crack is about an inch long, there's some webbing on the back side and the bracket is welded to the steel pipe that makes up the frame. What's confusing me is that this is heavy cast steel and I can't think what would cause a crack through the thickest part of the web and not take the rest of the bracket clean off. The loader pins are all nice and greased so it can float a bit and not bind, we do use it pretty hard and try not to do bad things. It does have about 500 hours of pushing a 9' snow plow attached to the loader arms, we don't run front chains so the side load isn't huge but the kubota warning is the loader arms collapsing not snapping the big brackets off.

My guess is that it could have been a defect in the casting, and at something around $1200 clams its going to be worth attempting to weld. Typical stop drill about 1 inch further than the crack, V it out to the root, preheat and go at it with some 10018 rods, post heat and keep it warm for a few hours.

We don't happen to have a magnaflux test set but was wondering, wrap the welding cables around the part and do a nice heavy dc bead on some steel while sprinkling the area with metal dust, might work.

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Prodded it yesterday and the only action that seems to apply force in that area is shaking the bucket side to side, seems to make the loader uprights deflect some.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Looks like a good spot for some JB Weld , lol . Seriously , may just be a bad spot in the casting and won't get any worse . I would drill a 1/4" hole at the end of the bad spot and leave it alone for awhile and keep an eye on it for awhile . May never get any worse . If it does then I would fix it .

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Yikes.

Looks like you have an excellent plan.

At the risk of covering it up, once you get the crack drill-stopped and welded, would it make any sense to buttress up the exterior by grinding it pretty flush and then welding a 3/16 or 1/4 overlay to either side to transfer some of the stress loads? Not sure what welding does to casting but I bet it probably induces localized stress which may crack later. Might not be worth the risk.

Maybe JB Weld IS the answer! :)

fast*st

Equipment
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
JB weld might fail under movement, going to see if there is any orange bathtub caulk :)

Preheating and digging out all the failed/stressed metal will be key to a good repair, it'll end up being full thickness deep and likely have about a 1/16th gap to start welding from, working both sides outwards.

Local big K dealer hasn't heard of one breaking, makes me keep thinking its a defect. could fire up the air-arc gouge to rough it out, then finish with the grinders. Looks like a project maybe for this weekend.