L5450 Steering Controller Banjo Torque

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Hi youse guys! I hope everyone did something special on Pi day.
'Been out of pocket for a while. Last time I was active my L 5450 was down because of a cracked banjo braze on the lower, steering controller supply pipe. I finally got it repaired and have been cleaning everything to reassemble. I have two questions: 1) What is the torque on said, steering controller, lower banjo bolt. It has a 27mm (?) bolt head (item#080 on Kubota USA illustrated parts) and the pipe (item#010 on the illustrated parts) runs directly to the pump at front of tractor. All I could find in my WSM was general torque specs. Question# 2) What do you call it when you divide the circumference of the sun by it's diameter? :cool:

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The answer to question #2 is too long to enter. On the banjo bolt, tighten it and then snug it down. The copper washers should seat it. I don't think you will find specs on banjo bolt torques. And that has to be the wrong answer for someone who enjoys details!!

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
The answer to question #2 is too long to enter. On the banjo bolt, tighten it and then snug it down. The copper washers should seat it. I don't think you will find specs on banjo bolt torques. And that has to be the wrong answer for someone who enjoys details!!
Not to be too rude D2, but wrong on both answers. Question #2 answer is 4 words (hint hint). As for the banjo, no copper washers, faucet o-ringsX2; which probably makes no difference in how tight to pull/torque them. Thanks for your prompt response, and you are dead right on one count; I do like to give and get good details. Does anyone think like, 110ft-lbs would work?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you know the answer why ask the question?:D

Do you really think 110ft-lb will do? Might want to have a backup bolt on hand!

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
If you know the answer why ask the question?
Touche! But I don't know the answer. I am not a pro-mechanic but I keep things on the farm and on the road going, so just to get a "feel" for it, I torqued it to 90ft-lbs and it SEEMED like it might be a little light; meaning I don't know if vibration will back the bolt out, blow all my fluid out on the ground thereby causing a diatomic explosion of my tractor resulting in me never being able to enjoy future Pi days due to sudden death.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Banjo bolts with O-rings do not need to be torqued down.

Snug and a little more is good!

Too tight and you just smash the o-rings into being worthless!

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
MilkyWay,

Pi in the Sky...

In reading your response that o-rings are used on the Banjo Bolt and not copper washers (gaskets in Kubota's terminology), it peaked my interest and want to see specifically where these o-rings were.

In post one you didn't state the drawing number or post the drawing itself, so I went looking for it. Unfortunately I didn't find the o-rings despite looking at a number of drawings.

Can you post the drawing or it's number from the website?

I thought the attachment might have been it, but don't see any o-rings mentioned.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
MilkyWay,

Pi in the Sky...

In reading your response that o-rings are used on the Banjo Bolt and not copper washers (gaskets in Kubota's terminology), it peaked my interest and want to see specifically where these o-rings were.

In post one you didn't state the drawing number or post the drawing itself, so I went looking for it. Unfortunately I didn't find the o-rings despite looking at a number of drawings.

Can you post the drawing or it's number from the website?

I thought the attachment might have been it, but don't see any o-rings mentioned.

Thanks
BINGO!! And the winner is 200MPH! What do you call it when you divide the SUN'S circumference by it's diameter? Pi in the sky; Man, us science geeks sure are a barrel of laughs!
The drawing is T11102 Hydraulic pipe (delivery) 1, under Hydraulic System, under L5450.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
MilkyWay,

Thanks for the drawing reference.

Does the pipe have grooves to contain the o-rings? I tried pulling up photos of the pipe but couldn't find any.