L5450 hydraulic pump coupler shaft

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Dudes and other
If it ain't one blasted thing it's another! While I had my tractor taken apart to repair a cracked banjo brase, I pressure washed all and did a general inspection. And of course I found something that don't look right. There is no chance that the hydro pump coupler shaft has an eccentric orbit on the back end is there? Two bolts secure the shaft to the coupler and one of the nut-bolt-washer sets is as expected. The bolt holding the other side however, is seriously whop y jawed and does not have a nut on it. What that implies is that the back end of the coupler shaft has "slipped" off center and is making a three inch orbit instead of spinning centered/inline with the engine crankshaft. I would not even question if it is eccentric "by design" except for one thing. It looks like the bolt in discussion was actually cut or machined in some way such that there is a furrow ground into the bolt at a crazy angle; like what a 1/4" grinder disk would cut. And it is C L E A N! Honest it looks machined. The associated washer is also cut almost through from the inside to the outside. Neither the IPL or the WSM addresses the coupler shaft, other than to show it in the drawings.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Dudes and other
If it ain't one blasted thing it's another! While I had my tractor taken apart to repair a cracked banjo brase, I pressure washed all and did a general inspection. And of course I found something that don't look right. There is no chance that the hydro pump coupler shaft has an eccentric orbit on the back end is there? Two bolts secure the shaft to the coupler and one of the nut-bolt-washer sets is as expected. The bolt holding the other side however, is seriously whop y jawed and does not have a nut on it. What that implies is that the back end of the coupler shaft has "slipped" off center and is making a three inch orbit instead of spinning centered/inline with the engine crankshaft. I would not even question if it is eccentric "by design" except for one thing. It looks like the bolt in discussion was actually cut or machined in some way such that there is a furrow ground into the bolt at a crazy angle; like what a 1/4" grinder disk would cut. And it is C L E A N! Honest it looks machined. The associated washer is also cut almost through from the inside to the outside. Neither the IPL or the WSM addresses the coupler shaft, other than to show it in the drawings.
Which pump, front or side, and you do know a picture would really speed up this process! ;)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That picture is just wear from the two parts it was trying to hold together but the missing nut let the joint move and wear all three parts.

You can replace the bolt easily but you will need to repair or replace the shaft flanges. You may be able to weld a piece of metal to the back of the plates and drill a good round hole through those new blocks. Then you may have to install a longer bolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
That picture is just wear from the two parts it was trying to hold together but the missing nut let the joint move and wear all three parts.

You can replace the bolt easily but you will need to repair or replace the shaft flanges. You may be able to weld a piece of metal to the back of the plates and drill a good round hole through those new blocks. Then you may have to install a longer bolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now that is helpful! Thanks Mr. King. I would have neither thought of the flange holes wearing nor inspected them for same if you had not covered/suggested it. What I think is that I got off very lite. It obviously has been like that for YEARS! I am probably lucky my hydro pump seal and gears has not already exploded out of the pump back like an alien from the chest of a unsuspecting carrier!
I just was not up to working on her today and also I am a little distressed over "baby" sister laid up in a big old hospital bed trying to come back from brain surgery. Y'all all please keep her in your thoughts and send her energy. Thanks.
Jim@MilkyWay

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am a little distressed over "baby" sister laid up in a big old hospital bed trying to come back from brain surgery. Y'all all please keep her in your thoughts and send her energy. Thanks.
Jim@MilkyWay

Sending lots of positive energy waves from our Pack! :)

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Here's the parts drawing - looks like the design changed along the way. As others say most of it can be improvised. According to the WSM there's a single 15 gpm front pump to operate the whole hydraulic system. A priority valve satisfies steering first and most flow goes to the 3-point circuit's hydraulic block & loader, and auxiliary valves.

Best thoughts to your sis - and you. Take care, Dick B

Attachments

Last edited:

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Sending lots of positive energy waves from our Pack! :)
Thanks PackMan, and Dick (also for the PDF, Dick) and all who read me, responders or not; I really do appreciate you all. It does not seem possible, but Sis, and I were in different OR's, in different hospitals on the same day, as was my wife***8217;s cousin out in Fort Smith; actually she is the wife's biological half-sister since their Mothers were identical twins. Sis has only had a ***8220;good***8221; day once or twice since days before her surgery, so keep up the good thoughts. She is so tiny and helpless all laid up. Speaking of thoughts, I would like anyone who is familiar with short-term recovery following hdr brachytherapy to pm me and answer a few questions, relating to your experiences; not least of which is when can I straddle the hog without my po-po reminding me it is a bit too soon! :mad:
BTW while you are having a drink and taking a break from reading, enjoy...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grSWdLdp7po&list=RDf0my_TN0qA4&index=2

Last edited: