L5030 Cat 2 3 PT hitch

46Willys

Equipment
L5030 with loader
Dec 31, 2023
Northeast Ohio
Recently acquired a L5030 with a cat 2 three-point hitch. All my implements are cat 1. So far, I've just used bushings on the lower links. Eventually, I'd like to change or modify the ball joints to accept the cat 1 size pins. I see TSC has replacement balls but changing the balls on this hitch doesn't look like a casual thought. Any suggestions?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You MAY be able to simply REVERSE the lift-arms*…to convert them. The Cat II ball fits upon the chassis-pins (which are Cat I and will use the bushings) and the Cat I ball will then be on the aft end of the lift arm.

* This will not work with telescoping lift arms, however.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Changing your arm ends to be cat1 would be pricey.
The ball joint does not come out easy.
2 other options.
Install cat 2 pins on implements.
Weld the Cat 1 collar to the ball, just a few simple tack welds should hold them in, and if later you want them out just grind off the welds.

46Willys

Equipment
L5030 with loader
Dec 31, 2023
Northeast Ohio
You MAY be able to simply REVERSE the lift-arms*…to convert them. The Cat II ball fits upon the chassis-pins (which are Cat I and will use the bushings) and the Cat I ball will then be on the aft end of the lift arm.

* This will not work with telescoping lift arms, however.
Interesting idea. I have the telescoping arms and I don't wish to give those up. Thanks!

46Willys

Equipment
L5030 with loader
Dec 31, 2023
Northeast Ohio
Changing your arm ends to be cat1 would be pricey.
The ball joint does not come out easy.
2 other options.
Install cat 2 pins on implements.
Weld the Cat 1 collar to the ball, just a few simple tack welds should hold them in, and if later you want them out just grind off the welds.
I asked Kubota and the telescoping inserts from another tractor with cat 1 balls are about $200 each. I'm thinking the tack welds are the way to go. When I use the bushings, they sometimes like to stick on the implement pins and they can be buggers to remove. Thank you.

46Willys

Equipment
L5030 with loader
Dec 31, 2023
Northeast Ohio
Buy a QH or Pat's QH?

Bushings seem to work for me when running CAT1 implements
I've never cared for the full three point quick hitches. I have Pat's quick hitch on my smaller John Deere and they are absolutely the best. For my Kubota, I have the telescoping arms and they are nearly as good as the Pat's. Tack welding the bushings may be the answer here. Thanks!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Wolfman’s suggestion is the most expedient and it’s in every meaningful way just as good as any other.

Be careful how Big you make the Tack-Welds… You don’t want to redce the amount of swivel the balls can accomplish.… and there’s no “strength” issue involved.

Reactions: 1 user