L4060 steering problems / hydraulic issues?

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Hi everyone,
I've been recently using my 8 month old L4060 to run a 6-foot flail mower on slopes. It's been doing pretty well...a little low on HP in the thick stuff or when hill climbing, but otherwise good.

My concern is that the tractor seems to be doing some weird things related to the hydraulics. For example, let's say I'm mowing uphill on a modest slope, in Low range, and the turtle for H-DS. So as slow as I can go. Wide open throttle / 2600RPM. I attempt to raise or lower my front end loader a tiny bit...and the tractor bogs horribly, stall guard kicks in. As soon as I release the loader stick, all is well again. Now when I'm stopped, the loader works fine. Is that normal?

Next, if I quickly steer the front wheels in either direction while mowing, the steering is not smooth. It feels jerky, or like its binding. It's like the hydraulics can't keep up with how quickly I'm trying to turn. I'm talking about turning quickly at the end of a row, same as I've done with all my other Kubota tractors.

And occasionally, it almost feels like the transmission "slips" when taking off going uphill...it kind of bucks for a second, or isn't smooth like I'm used to with HST.

Keep in mind none of these issues prevent the tractor from being used, but I'm just not sure they are normal.

I just got this machine back this week from getting the HST bolt recall done by the dealer.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
While I don't have one (I have gear drives), it sounds abnormal to me. Is the fluid level full?

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'm going to check the fluid level as soon as I get back to the jobsite later this afternoon. Perhaps when the dealer filled it up an air pocket formed.

Thanks for the tip

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Trover -

The bogging down when moving the joystick sounds odd. I know you mow some wicked slopes, but still just doesn't sound right to have the anti-stall kick in.....

While just a little BX, I notice a slight "bind" sometimes in the steering if using other hydraulics at the same time. Even lifting the 3PH and turning hard at same time. Almost an imperceptible "grab", but it's there occasionally. Remember many pumps serve both functions, so I've considered that normal in my case. Not sure if it's analogous to what you're experiencing.

After further thought, makes me wonder if the two issues are related somehow....Like I mentioned, I think your pump is two parts for both the FEL hydraulics and steering. Maybe You're seeing a pump-related issue with both functions under different circumstances?

Certainly start with fluid level to make sure it’s okay. Great place to start.

Wish I had better ideas. Just wanted to throw out my first thoughts.

Last edited:

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I've had similar incidents with my L3560HSTC. Hills really bog things down, I have lots of them. The steering always seems sticky and really bounces or jumps when making a sharp turn. When I am on an extreme hill, the use of the joy stick on the loader is impossible to use, I think it's some sort of safety thing, too much of an angle, don't want to tip over. I just work with it and think it is part of the beast.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've had similar incidents with my L3560HSTC. Hills really bog things down, I have lots of them. The steering always seems sticky and really bounces or jumps when making a sharp turn. When I am on an extreme hill, the use of the joy stick on the loader is impossible to use, I think it's some sort of safety thing, too much of an angle, don't want to tip over. I just work with it and think it is part of the beast.
Trover mows some dams I think....he has posted pictures that kicked in my fear of heights....😩

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Thanks again for your thoughts. I checked the fluid level...so clear its hard to see. But it is perfect...dealer did a good job refilling.

I do mow some dams, but I'm presently on a capped landfill, most of those slopes aren't so bad. I realized sometimes you can make the steering feel weird with the turn signal switch...it has auto-cancel like a car when you turn, and it can feel like it is slightly binding. But that's not the problem here...I think the hydraulics are just maxed out. In fairness, I am turning a 74" heavy flail mower with only 40 total horsepower. Overall it does well. The H-DS transmission is awesome, because on the flatter areas you can shift to Low-High with a flick of the switch and gain a couple of mph. Then back to Low-Low when any incline starts. And while I always thought Stall Guard was a stupid feature...it isn't. Set the cruise control and it just slows down as needed. Can be abrupt but is pretty hands free.

The dams will be mowed right after the 4th of July. We'll see if she has power to back up the steepest ones...hopefully this machine isn't too tippy!