L3901 Canopy re-paint

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Painted the underside of the canopy today from black to white. The heat from the black was unbelievable. It was a must do modification.:cool: IMAG0413.jpg

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So im curious,why not the topside?it will dramatically change the heat as well.
I remember an old guy in town always drove around with a sheet of plywood on his old station wagon, years later i find out it was to shade the roof-called it poor man's air conditioning.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
So im curious,why not the topside?it will dramatically change the heat as well.
I remember an old guy in town always drove around with a sheet of plywood on his old station wagon, years later i find out it was to shade the roof-called it poor man's air conditioning.
You can't see it in the picture but its the stock Kubota canopy, its kubota orange on the topside, i ain't touching that with no paint! :D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
IMHO, your best bet to beat the heat the top radiates is to insulate it. For example..... while the black absorbed heat...... the white will now reflect heat down onto you better.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
I agree with coach, putting some type of insulator underneath the canopy would work as good as anything. I have an aluminum canopy which has a sheet of some type of cardboard/particle board attached underneath. It can be super hot on the canopy metal, but underneath not that much. One thing that comes to mind is to use part of a sheet of the Dow Blueboard (house sheathing) or something similar. Don't know if you can find it anymore, but there used to be a type of sheathing that also had a layer of aluminum foil..that should work very well.
If you're industrious you could put a fan underneath. I've got a car radiator fan mounted there and it makes a HUGE difference. Only problem if its very dusty it can turn into a sandblaster! :D

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
We will see my first impression from day one was the black just radiated the heat. It was cool today so i haven't really tested the new color yet. i think it looks much better than the black did.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Just to come back to this post. I have never noticed any heat reflecting off the canopy since I repainted white. :D