L3830 hst

GrimReaper

Mar 15, 2015
Middleburg, VA
I'm new here, and looking for some guidance. I'm buying a small farm and the seller is offering to sell me their Kubota L3830 HST 4 wheel drive. Its only got 320 hours – with a bush hog mower, automatic drive, 4 wheel drive, front end loader, and a blade. Anyone have any insights as to what a fair offer is, and what questions I should ask?

Thanks

cmorris1

Equipment
L3901 HST
Nov 30, 2014
Louisville/Hart Co.
I was in the same boat and found a nice one for 15,5 that was a DT and I passed - unfortunately. I really wanted a HST, and just picked up a new 3901 with FEL, cutter and box for 23k with a trailer (1900) - didnt need the trailer so they took that off.
have fun
chris

philztoy

Equipment
L3830, IH695, Deere 4720Cab 3720Cab 4320 4200 450C 790, R Z and Jetstar Molines
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
I paid 13.5k for one a few months ago with 1000 hrs that had some blemishes. It had a loader with it.

It is a really nice tractor. Starts right up everytime and works nice. I am a Deere guy mostly and I don't like that HST rocker pedal. But other than that it is a really nice tractor. I would buy the tractor with the land. It seems like a capable little tractor. I don't think you will regret it.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ask if it has been kept inside, what its service record is as far as oil changes repairs etc, , where the dealer is located that he bought it from, does he like the dealer and did he get good service if needed. You talk to dealer and see if you are favorably impressed, e.g. does he pick up and deliver tractors for service if that might be needed. If all of these are encouraging it really adds to the value of the tractor. That is a great set of implements for a small farm. Drive it around and see if hydraulics work well (take a friend that is familiar if you are new to tractors). How nice that might be if all works well!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
GrimReaper, sheepfarmer is right on with all her comments.

Remember you have a little leverage on this deal because you are buying the property and if you do not want the machine the owner has to wholesale it to a dealer or fiddle with finding a private buyer somehow. That's a pain on his part.

Do your homework (as you're doing) then ask him what he wants for it. You may be shocked at how he wants it gone! And therefore the price is lower then you'd be prepared to pay.

GrimReaper

Mar 15, 2015
Middleburg, VA
I'm heading out to see it now. You've all raised some really good points. Hats off to sheepfarmer for raising some really good questions to ask. I do know that the tractor has been kept outside, year round for probably close to ten years. I'm going to ask about the service records. I'll share more later. Thank you to everyone. Great group of people here.

GrimReaper

Mar 15, 2015
Middleburg, VA
The owner is asking $17,500 for the tractor and previously listed accessories (FEL, bush hog mower, blade). It has been serviced regularly, and the dealer picks the tractor up for service. It's a 2007 and stored outside. It has a canopy which is pretty battered and cracked. I'm probably going to offer $10K, take it or leave it. Still welcoming perspectives/advice.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hmm, I am lousy at horse trading, but his price sounds a little high, and 10 k sounds a little low. Brush hogs might be 1500 or more new, and a heavy duty blade depending on type and features the same. I guess it will depend on how much you think you will need the tractor and implements. That loader is unbelievably useful even if you only use it as someone said yesterday as a motorized wheel barrow. Hope it all works out well! Keep us posted and put up pictures of it and the new farm! :)

philztoy

Equipment
L3830, IH695, Deere 4720Cab 3720Cab 4320 4200 450C 790, R Z and Jetstar Molines
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
In 320 hours the tractor is probably mechanically sound. Because it was outside check the hoses and tires for cracking and wear. Mine was perhaps outside and the issues on mine so far are Check the folding ROPS and the seat slide. Mine must have been left outside and the ROPS is rust welded into a none folding unit no matter how much penetrant I put on it so far. and for what ever reason my seat adjustment is stuck and I can't break that free either. The seat on mine was toast to and I paid a couple hundred for a new one I think. Also the electronics like the RPM seems a little buggy maybe due to outside storage.

If the brush hog is a 6 footer landpride or other "decent" brand and the back blade is like a nice thick heavy heavy duty one; that is worth 1500 maybe. If they are King cutter or TSC, those are plenty serviceable too, just not worth as much thrown into the deal. A heavy blade makes all the difference in the world. I have a 6 foot deer brush hog and 5 foot TSC and they both do a good job I just feel worse when I back the deere into something it can't bend over and have to buy new deere bumper parts.

The low hours makes it worth more. The storage outside makes it worth a little less, in my opinion, because of all the rusted fasteners you will probably have to deal with (at least in Michigan they end up that way)

If you pay 13,500 for the package you got a better deal than me and I think it is worth that :) 17 sounds high unless it isn't showing any outside wear and tear.

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Mar 15, 2015
Middleburg, VA
GrimReaper - I assume you couldn't come to a agreement with the land owner since I saw this pop up on CL.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/grd/4938836984.html

UnionMan
UnionMan, I owe you a beer! Good find! I haven't made an offer yet. I'm cash strapped with the land purchase. The listing says it's a 1996. Do you or anyone else have any thoughts on what a reasonable offer would be? I think $18,500 is pretty steep even with the implements. And this tractor has been stored outside.

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
GrimReaper - I am new myself to tractors and not sure what the going rate for used is. I almost picked up a used L3240 in Culpeper last year with around 250 hours on it but saw the ad while at work and couldn't make it down till the next day. Guy ended up selling it that day to a broker for $14,500 because he was in need of money. After being upset that I missed out on a steal of a deal I ended up going local in Warrenton and picked up a L3800 new for $21,000 out the door with a Land Pride 1260 rotary cutter (no tax because of AG). Just to give you a comparison. Every once and awhile I see a nice used tractor pop up on CL in Nokesville or Fauquier area. But they are few and far between. I agree with everyone else that he is on the high side and that you have some leverage since you are buying the land the tractor is sitting on and the seller could just walk away with extra money in their pocket instead of having to worry about selling it to someone else.

UnionMan

GrimReaper

Mar 15, 2015
Middleburg, VA
I've been busy since I bought the property. I need to provide an update. I ended up getting the tractor and bushhog attachment for $15,500. I think I did ok.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Congratulations! Hope you are enjoying farm life, there certainly is plenty to do :)

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
I've been busy since I bought the property. I need to provide an update. I ended up getting the tractor and bushhog attachment for $15,500. I think I did ok.
Sounds like a good deal to me.

UnionMan