L35 TLB GST

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hi Jimmy, I've been restoring an L35 TLB for about a year. I've turned just about every bolt on it and with some luck, will be running it soon. It sounds like your find was gently used which is a plus for sure. But hoses and seals do go bad with age or damage. Hoses can vary in price (made for you) from $50 to over $100 depending upon the shop, length, fitting used and this nutty economy.

The glide shift seemed clumsy to me at first, but I used it for a few days before I took it apart and it isn't that hard to get used to. You don't need to use the clutch when shifting. Although not an expert, after reading lots of complaints from lots of mechanical things - people don't tell you the whole story all the time.

Additionally rust can happen which will weaken fittings and other things - but that's life eh? A suggestion for you if you buy it is to wash it down carefully and watch for leaks. Leaks are hard to find if everything's covered with dirt/grease and whatever.

Pay attention to the large hydraulic supply pipe just in front of the left rear wheel and follow it all the way through the filter to the side pump and front pump. Then check out the smaller diameter delivery line from the front and right side pumps. Look for damage or leaks. No leaks could mean the axle is empty. Check wiring for damage from critters. Definitely check oil level in the front axle and look for leaks around the wheels/axle. Check all the fuses. CHeck to see the dash is working. Check brakes independently.

If you purchase, you may want to do a service on it, replacing all the hydraulic oil, filters and such. Then go 'round and check adjustments on brakes, and clutch and steering toe. Check all the hydraulics on the BH too. Look for slop in the controls for BH and FEL. Mine had a lot of play but easily resolved with new bushings. Check pins for their ability to accept grease.

Kindly keep us posted on your decision
This is all very welcome advice. The asking price at the moment is firm and a bit high for my liking. It has never bothered me to walk away in such circumstances. Thanks.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
they weren't problematic per say but those folks that did have issues posted about them often. mainly because it costs money to repair them.

the early units had some issues with the clutch pack snap ring falling out/breaking/etc and that required a tractor split to fix $$$ and again people never post or talk about how reliable their equipment is when it's making them money, rather mostly when their equipment is broken down and costing them money

all of the grand L gst's were built mostly teh same in regard to the gst and all of the early ones were known for issues. Also, one MUST use super udt2 in them and nothing else. I don' t know what additive package kubota uses but if anything else was used in them, the clutch pack would chatter among other things, and the junk fluid impregnates the clutch pack friction plate material with the junk fluid and it seemed to be more frequently repaired, than tractors that used super udt. it wasn't just clutch packs either, it was also 3ph valves, loader valves, cylinders and a few other things. You could always tell when someone cared for their equipment and the cheap tractor fluid was one way to know that they really didn't.

with all that said remember that L35's are getting very old now and if you purchased, you WILL at some point have to repair something on it. The question is, are the parts still available, and do you possess the mechanical knowledge to do it yourself?

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Drop your offer by 10 or 15 percent, and tell the seller you may be still interested if he does not sell it. BUT only if you are really interested perhaps...you can always back out if he accepts...and if you decide it was not something you want anyway.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Drop your offer by 10 or 15 percent, and tell the seller you may be still interested if he does not sell it. BUT only if you are really interested perhaps...you can always back out if he accepts...and if you decide it was not something you want anyway.
I have not seen either the OP's offer, or the sellers asking price mentioned here.

The closest comp. appears to be one with 882 hours, on Machinery Trader, and also Tractor House, LISTED for $26,500.
Does not have SSQA, thumb, or Q/A hoe bucket
That one seems 20% high to me.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have not seen either the OP's offer, or the sellers asking price mentioned here.

The closest comp. appears to be one with 882 hours, on Machinery Trader, and also Tractor House, LISTED for $26,500.
Does not have SSQA, thumb, or Q/A hoe bucket
That one seems 20% high to me.
Me neither, but the OP did say the price offered by the seller was “firm’’. I was just suggesting that since the OP was not overly interested, that he could offer less and get interested if the price comes down.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Me neither, but the OP did say the price offered by the seller was “firm’’. I was just suggesting that since the OP was not overly interested, that he could offer less and get interested if the price comes down.
Yeh...... the seller is "firm", until he comes to the realization that there is no buyer at his "firm" price.

Reactions: 1 users

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
What did all of that cost if I may be so bold to ask?
If your hoses have been replaced over the past few years, you should be good to go. We had a local hose shop make the BH hoses. With the dipper clynder rebuild, total cost was just over $700, including local mech labor. Recall hose costs from Kubota was much more and availability was also a problem. I've replaced all the loader hoses using local hose shop as well. Good luck.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Looks like it is no longer listed. It may have sold. I don't really need that tractor bad enough to not consider pricing carefully. It would be different if I were earning a living with it as many do. I always ask myself "How much can I lose?" . This directs me to the auction sales prices and respective comparables. I have always hated "paying up". Even for a hamburger. I would rather be hungry. My wife and kids think I am nuts and need therapy. They ,of course, never knew poverty like I did. Not complaining . Life is good . Thank you all for your interest and advice. I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 users