L35 Bt900 backhoe hydraulic hoses

fatalbert

Equipment
Kubota L35
Oct 5, 2022
Pacific Nortwest
I need to replace the dipper hoses on my backhoe. OEM hoses are no longer available. Can anyone tell me the hose size (looks like 3/8") and the JIC fitting size used on a BT900. I'm struggling to determine if the fittings are JIC -6 or -8. I believe they are -8 fitting.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would take the old one off and take it to a shop that specializes in that sort of thing and let them figure it out. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

fatalberta

Equipment
Kubota L35
Oct 5, 2022
Pacific Nortwest
I wanted to order on-line since I would like to replace all the hoses that go under the boom cylinder and there are sources that are much cheaper than local. I know others have ordered the hoses on-line. I'm hoping one of you already figured this out and can share the knowledge. Thanks, Al.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I wanted to order on-line since I would like to replace all the hoses that go under the boom cylinder and there are sources that are much cheaper than local. I know others have ordered the hoses on-line. I'm hoping one of you already figured this out and can share the knowledge. Thanks, Al.
The thread size on JIC-6 is 9/16-18 and JIC-8 is 3/4-16. You can tell the difference with a ruler. FWIW Kubota seems to favor JIC-8 fittings on their 3/8 hoses.

Dan

Last edited:

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
I had a local tractor mech replace all of my L35 BH hoses. He found it cheaper and quicker to source hoses locally. Good luck.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'll get you those sizes when I get to my tractor in a little while. I replaced mine a year or so ago and got them at Messick's. I think one or both have 45's on one end. 3/8 hose, but I can't help with the length.

I ran into that problem with my TL720 loader last year and started this thread for future reference
Unfortunately, I didn't foresee the need when I was doing the backhoe work :confused:.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'll get you those sizes when I get to my tractor in a little while. I replaced mine a year or so ago and got them at Messick's. I think one or both have 45's on one end. 3/8 hose, but I can't help with the length.

I ran into that problem with my TL720 loader last year and started this thread for future reference
Unfortunately, I didn't foresee the need when I was doing the backhoe work :confused:.
Intersting that some are a mix of JIC 6F and JIC 8F ends. Must have to go through some small openings ???

Dan

fatalberta

Equipment
Kubota L35
Oct 5, 2022
Pacific Nortwest

Thank you, I appreciate that. I ordered all the Kubota oem hoses from Messicks but they no longer can source them and canceled my order. It was a gigantic pain in the rear getting the boom cylinder pins out which is why I thought I'd replace all the hoses instead of just the leaker.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thank you, I appreciate that. I ordered all the Kubota oem hoses from Messicks but they no longer can source them and canceled my order. It was a gigantic pain in the rear getting the boom cylinder pins out which is why I thought I'd replace all the hoses instead of just the leaker.
OK, they're all #8 JIC female. The ones on the valve end are 45° - cylinder end are straight. The first one I bought, from NAPA, had an oversized nut and I had to grind out the slot in the boom a little. I think that's the one I wrestled through the boom without removing the cylinder pin. That was even a gigant-er PITA! The next time I replaced them all. You might consider repacking the boom cylinder while you're in there.

Sorry, I can't help with the length. You might consider posting what you get for future reference.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Intersting that some are a mix of JIC 6F and JIC 8F ends. Must have to go through some small openings ???

Dan
The #6's are where the short hoses from the valve join the hard lines going down the arm. They're pretty close together and the larger #8 nuts would probably hit each other. The other ends on the hard lines and on the valve are all #8.

fatalberta

Equipment
Kubota L35
Oct 5, 2022
Pacific Nortwest
OK, they're all #8 JIC female. The ones on the valve end are 45° - cylinder end are straight. The first one I bought, from NAPA, had an oversized nut and I had to grind out the slot in the boom a little. I think that's the one I wrestled through the boom without removing the cylinder pin. That was even a gigant-er PITA! The next time I replaced them all. You might consider repacking the boom cylinder while you're in there.

Sorry, I can't help with the length. You might consider posting what you get for future reference.
Again, thank you for the info. I managed to find two of the hoses new on ebay for about the Kubota oem price. Messacks had one in stock. I'll have to have the others made up or get from hydraulic surplus and put together some 45 degree fittings. I had not thought about rebuilding the boom cylinder. Is that something I should be able to do with a kit? The cylinder is not leaking but karma may teach me a lesson as soon as I reinstall it. Getting the cylinder lined back up with the bucket end is going to teach me some new cuss words, I'm sure.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Again, thank you for the info. I managed to find two of the hoses new on ebay for about the Kubota oem price. Messacks had one in stock. I'll have to have the others made up or get from hydraulic surplus and put together some 45 degree fittings. I had not thought about rebuilding the boom cylinder. Is that something I should be able to do with a kit? The cylinder is not leaking but karma may teach me a lesson as soon as I reinstall it. Getting the cylinder lined back up with the bucket end is going to teach me some new cuss words, I'm sure.
After the second time in there I replaced everything I could, to avoid a third time. You can repack it yourself or take it to a shop. Mainly, you need a large pipe wrench or face spanner to remove the gland, and a sturdy wrench (I used a 3/4 drive socket) to remove the piston, if you do it yourself. I bought a set of rod seal installers on eBay, but you can do without them, especially on these bigger rods.

The main thing is, to remove the cylinder, you have to fully extend the boom, swung to one side, so that the bucket is below normal ground level. I put some wood blocks under the tire on the side the boom was on to let the boom out further. You can use the stabilizer as a jack, but don't work on it without blocking it.

Yeah, getting that inner end pin back in is fun. The da_ _ cylinder is heavy. I think I used a 2x4 scrap to wedge it up 'til I could get a line-up bar in. From there, it was a piece of cake.