L3410 Losing Steering

fj40toycruiser

Equipment
1999 L3410, LA481, Kelley BH
May 7, 2013
Francestown NH
L3410 Power Steering becoming Intermittent

I am new to the forum and new to the tractor world. I have a L3410 HST with a LA481 loader, and a Kelley Backhoe attachment sub frame mounted. I Have used the tractor for many tasks and have not had any real issues. When I purchased the tractor about a year ago I did the 1000hr PM to the best of my ability. Changed the fluid (SUDT), all filters (fuel, oil, HST) engine oil, radiator flush, air in the tires (ha ha). You get the idea. Well when I was using it for moving a dirt pile last night the loader began to act strange. The control for lowering it became sticky as in it would hit a point in the joystick where it would drop quickly in an uncontrolled manner, then I noticed raising the bucket was almost not possible. When it would raise it was very slow. The raising issue seemed to be related to the amount of weight load in the bucket. Then shortly after that the "power" steering became intermittent and became difficult to steer. At that time began hearing a noise every few seconds from the "passenger" side of the engine compartment almost like something was spinning and rubbing at a point on each revolution. I immediately shut the tractor down and looked at the HST fluid through the sight glass in the rear. It appeared to be milky but full. I am not sure if it was air bubbles or condensation. When I get home tonight I will drain some and let it sit to see if it separates. At this point I think I might need to have a pro look at it. I am however fairly mechanically inclined and I am sure with some direction I could trouble shoot further. I also do not have any significant funds available right now. So Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

fjace

Equipment
L2250
Aug 5, 2013
South West FL, USA
fj40toycruiser hello. I am having the same issue with my tractor. Did you by any chance get this resolved. If so what was the cause and fix? Thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If the fluid looked like it was full of air the first thing I would check is the rubbed hose on the input line going to the hyd pump. They are bad about splitting on the inside (toward tractor) and it will normally not leak fluid out, just air in.

fjace

Equipment
L2250
Aug 5, 2013
South West FL, USA
Bulldog hello.

I replaced the hose and no change. I replaced filter and fluid, no change. It clearly is acting as if air is in the system. Milky looking fluid. I plan on pulling the pipe from the rear sump that feeds the hose...pump, to see if by any chance it has a pin hole of something. On idle the system works best, once I increase RPM's - I lose power steering and the pump surges. There is only two oil delivery inlets the sump and the power steering return.

If the pipe is fine...What else can it be?

fjace

Equipment
L2250
Aug 5, 2013
South West FL, USA
Well found no leaks anywhere. Drained the hydraulic fluid and Bingo at least a quart of water came out? Where this water came from no clue. Flushed as much out as possible and filled again. Now the fluid is clean. The hydraulics are better but not even close to what it should be. Ran the tractor for a while and went through the motions of the rear lift and the loader. No change.

Could there be trapped air and water in the cylinders and lines or is the pump done? I will continue to move everything and maybe crack open hoses to try to bleed out air and water.

Any other ideas? Do you think the pump is ruined? Rear lift and loader jerks, but goes up.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't know what the actual numbers are for tractors but in most equipment when you drain the fluid you are only changing about 40% of the total capacity. The other 60% is still contaminated and running in the machine. I know this isn't what you want to hear but it will probably take 2 or 3 fluid and filter changes to get all the bad fluid out. Depending on how long you ran it you probably still have air in the system. If it was me as long as it seems to be improving I would keep working with it and try to get the air out where it will function as normal. If it does come around I would run it enough to make sure everything is back to normal and as bad as it would hurt the wallet I would change the fluid out again.