L3400 SSQA pin problems

adettman

Equipment
Kubota L3400
Jan 8, 2024
Minnesota
Hey, folks.

Wondering if anyone has any insights regarding a problem I'm suddenly having with my SSQA pins.

While pushing some snow around the other day, I noticed that my bucket had a bit more "freedom of movement" on my loader's QA. Upon further inspection, I noticed that neither of the 2 pins were in direct contact with the plate + rectangular hole on the back of the bucket. When the handles are fully engaged (i.e. pins should be locked down), there's a healthy gap between the bottom of the pin and where it should sit on the edge of the rectangular hole on the back/bottom of my bucket's QA plate. As a matter of fact, when I load the bucket onto the QA and then crank the handles to lock the pins down, it's as if the pins even lift out of their rectangular holes just a bit at the end of the procedure (if that makes sense).

I've tightened the nuts associated with the springs down an awful lot. Furthermore, I'm not sure those nuts exactly serve to hold that spring in a tensioned state. I compared my tractor's SSQA pin mechanisms to a similar Kubota at work and those nuts don't appear to have much effect on that spring once the pin is in the locked position.

For what it's worth, I've put 2 different implements on my tractor's loader (my bucket and my forks) and both are having the same issue. As such, seems I can rule out a deformed plate on my bucket or something to that effect. Also, I pulled the pins themselves apart thinking I might find that one of the holes had been worn unevenly (i.e. "egged" out) but, from what I can tell, nothing has worn dramatically.

Curious what folks think. Thanks for your time.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Can you take a picture of what you are talking about, might be easier for us to figure out what is going on.

Reactions: 1 user

adettman

Equipment
Kubota L3400
Jan 8, 2024
Minnesota
Can you take a picture of what you are talking about, might be easier for us to figure out what is going on.
Thanks for the quick reply.

There was a development since posting my original message. I backed the nut(s) off on either side just about as far as I could without losing the threads and managed to seat the pins down further into their respective holes (see: attached). I think I was tightening the nuts because I thought it best to compress the spring but, rather, I needed to extend that bolt inside the spring as far as I could. All that to say the pins are now seated a bit better.

That being said, I'm still experiencing a bit of "slop" between the QA plate on my bucket and the SSQA on my tractor's loader. I can't tell if this is something that's been going on unnoticed all along or if it's related to the issue I was experiencing originally. I attached 2 photos that hopefully illustrate the amount of play I'm experiencing when applying downward pressure on my loader. More or less it seems like the loader is overpowering the springs on those pins, allowing the bucket to ride up the SSQA on my tractor.

Any thoughts? Do those springs ever wear out? I pulled my pins apart and didn't find any abnormally worn holes for what that's worth. Is some movement between my bucket and tractor's SSQA plate to be expected? Sorta seems like it shouldn't be.

Thanks for your time, honestly. Very helpful to have some folks to bounce ideas off of.

Attachments

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
I would say your SSQA plate is bent and not letting your pins to seat properly.
R What is the SSQA Plate your talking about ? Just Curious ? I have a bit of problum the other way hard to get pins into slots on bucket not so much on my grapple Thanks (Picture maybe?)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I don't have my tractor near me, but from memory, your "pin engagement" looks to be just about what mine is.

From the pics above, your engagement seems to be even a little deeper than I remember mine being.

I specifically do remember looking at it once, and wondering if something was wrong.

It's either normal, or we both have the same problem.

I'll be interested in what others say.....