L3301, powers up but no start

Codeman26

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2023
Pismo Beach, CA
I've had a starting hesitation issue developing for some months now where I have to hold the key in just the right spot (past the "on" position) for the starter to turn over and even then it was kind of weak and hard turning over; until today; nothing now! Everything seems normal, dash lights up, fuel pump turns on, glow plugs heat up but I get no action out of the starter.
I've always been able to start it with the seat still up and not on it so I know it's not the seat's safety switch. I've rocked the HST pedal back and forth while trying to start and still, no dice.
Has anyone had or heard of this problem and got a fix for it?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Start with the basics and clean battery cables at both ends.

see this thread for a simple test of the starter and if there is 12 v at the solenoid

watch the video here

Reactions: 1 user

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
If you had to hold the key in just the right spot and the right spot has disappeared then I think you have a keyswitch problem.

In addition, I think you also have a poor high current connection or weak battery.

Codeman26

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2023
Pismo Beach, CA
If you had to hold the key in just the right spot and the right spot has disappeared then I think you have a keyswitch problem.

In addition, I think you also have a poor high current connection or weak battery.
That's what I was thinking also until I saw a video on here showing to bypass the starter solenoid with a jumper wire from battery to starter positive post. Fired right up! At least the solenoid is an easy fix!!

Codeman26

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2023
Pismo Beach, CA
Start with the basics and clean battery cables at both ends.

see this thread for a simple test of the starter and if there is 12 v at the solenoid

watch the video here
This worked for me!!! Seems that it's just a starter solenoid. Thanks!!

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
This worked for me!!! Seems that it's just a starter solenoid. Thanks!!
Not sure what you mean…
if it cranks the engine up then the solenoid is working…

please explain what you did and what results you got if you still need any assistance.

Codeman26

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2023
Pismo Beach, CA
Not sure what you mean…
if it cranks the engine up then the solenoid is working…

please explain what you did and what results you got if you still need any assistance.
If i bypass the solenoid and it starts; wouldn't that mean the solenoid is the problem? Maybe the ignition module the key goes into but most definitely between the positive battery terminal and the starter motor. That doesn't leave too many options as to what it may be. (Process of elimination)

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If i bypass the solenoid and it starts; wouldn't that mean the solenoid is the problem? Maybe the ignition module the key goes into but most definitely between the positive battery terminal and the starter motor. That doesn't leave too many options as to what it may be. (Process of elimination)
Again be specific about what you did and what your tractor did so I can understand and help.

if you simply took off the small wire and applied 12 vlots to the solenoid spade connection and the starter motor turned the engine around then the starter and solenoid are working properly.

If you have 12 volts at the wire going to the solenoid when you turn the key to start and the above happened then the tractor would start.

you can NOT bypass the solenoid in an form that I know of so that phase is difficult to understand.

If you have applied 12 volts from the battery lead attached to the starter motor to the solenoid terminal you have bypassed all of the tractor safety switches and key switch and wiring between the starter and the switches.

Watch the video again and see how he explains it and what the test means. I think it does a good job of explaining but perhaps that is because I already know the tests from previous experiences. First test with light attached to the wire and ground prove 12 volts are at the end of the wire when key is turned to start. The he jumps battery cable end to solenoid terminal and the engine spins and the he turns the key to run positron and jumps the battery cable to solenoid terminal and engine spins and then starts running.

If the solenoid is bad the starter motor will not spin the engine over or may spin just the starter but not the tractor engine. That is discussed in some detail with the phrasing of ”fork”

Codeman26

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2023
Pismo Beach, CA
Again be specific about what you did and what your tractor did so I can understand and help.

if you simply took off the small wire and applied 12 vlots to the solenoid spade connection and the starter motor turned the engine around then the starter and solenoid are working properly.

If you have 12 volts at the wire going to the solenoid when you turn the key to start and the above happened then the tractor would start.

you can NOT bypass the solenoid in an form that I know of so that phase is difficult to understand.

If you have applied 12 volts from the battery lead attached to the starter motor to the solenoid terminal you have bypassed all of the tractor safety switches and key switch and wiring between the starter and the switches.

Watch the video again and see how he explains it and what the test means. I think it does a good job of explaining but perhaps that is because I already know the tests from previous experiences. First test with light attached to the wire and ground prove 12 volts are at the end of the wire when key is turned to start. The he jumps battery cable end to solenoid terminal and the engine spins and the he turns the key to run positron and jumps the battery cable to solenoid terminal and engine spins and then starts running.

If the solenoid is bad the starter motor will not spin the engine over or may spin just the starter but not the tractor engine. That is discussed in some detail with the phrasing of ”fork”
So yes, I applied 12V from the battery to the solenoid terminal and it started right up. I've also checked all the safety switches (visually) and they all seem to be working (again, the symptoms I was experiencing prior to "no start at all" don't tell me it is a safety switch problem.) I know yall are very quick to call it a 'safety switch problem' but the symptoms I've experienced prior do not point me down that path.

Codeman26

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2023
Pismo Beach, CA

Also, some of your sentences are hard to understand (i believe from miss spells and wrong words) so it's hard to follow exactly what you are telling me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So yes, I applied 12V from the battery to the solenoid terminal and it started right up. I've also checked all the safety switches (visually) and they all seem to be working (again, the symptoms I was experiencing prior to "no start at all" don't tell me it is a safety switch problem.) I know yall are very quick to call it a 'safety switch problem' but the symptoms I've experienced prior do not point me down that path.
All that jumping the solenoid does is prove that the solenoid and starter are working as they should.

A visual check of safety switches is worthless.
You need to check them for voltage or for continuity, whichever the WSM (aka service manual) calls for.

Do you have the WSM?

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Okay then….
Here is what I can tell you from your post #11: The starter and solenoid are perfectly fine and don’t need to be replaced.

I would recommend you replace the key switch with one from Kubota not any aftermarket switch. There are tests that can be done to see if the key switch is defective but I think it is inexpensive to just replace it.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
L3301.png

Above is from your WSM.
#10 is the starter.
#11 is the starter relay.

Where did you jump the 12V to that made it fire up?

troiter75

Equipment
lx2610
Apr 4, 2023
syracuse ny
I've had a starting hesitation issue developing for some months now where I have to hold the key in just the right spot (past the "on" position) for the starter to turn over and even then it was kind of weak and hard turning over; until today; nothing now! Everything seems normal, dash lights up, fuel pump turns on, glow plugs heat up but I get no action out of the starter.
I've always been able to start it with the seat still up and not on it so I know it's not the seat's safety switch. I've rocked the HST pedal back and forth while trying to start and still, no dice.
Has anyone had or heard of this problem and got a fix for it?
hello how is the battery u say it turns over weak try it with a battery charger on it also check connections