L3301 HST quit running at idle

USGrant

Equipment
L3301 HST; LA525;Land Pride FDR1672; JD Brushhog; back blade; York rake; etc etc
Aug 1, 2024
KY
Help. My L3301 HST, 415 hours, well-maintained, quit running while at idle, and now i cannot start it. There were no lights on the dash. I have:
Checked battery terminals snd voltage. OK
Tried to jump start - no go.
Checked the 40 and 50A fuses next to battery - 40A was bad. Replaced it. Now have dash lights.
Checked all 3 safety switches (forward/reverse rocker pedal; seat; PTO). OK
Checked ignition switch. OK
Jumped terminals on starter - sparked but doesn't turn over.
Tried starting in neutral (left side range selector too.
Again, all safety switches are good.

I am on a fire trail, flat and smooth, in my woods. I was slowly dragging two logs down the trail, normal procedure, when it happened. The logs snagged on a high root. Tractor stopped. I backed up to dislodge the log with the drawbar hitch, then released the logs. While doing so i heard a loud rattling noise. Tractor at idle. Noticed a whiff of light smoke near starter (like electrical, not combustion); opened the hood to check on the noise and light smoke; air filter canister top was detached. As I reattached it, the tractor quit running. I then started trouble-shooting as detailed above.

I’m thinking if that 40A fuse blew it had to be something big upstream. Perhaps the starter? But why would the tractor just quit running at idle if it were the starter? Starter relay?? But where is it?!?

i can’t tow the tractor to my shop, or anywhere else, because the loader is down on the ground. It’s a field repair (woods), not too far in the forest, with a loader to work around. I am at least 45 minutes from a dealer who doesn't have a great service department. This forum may be my only hope.

USGrant

Equipment
L3301 HST; LA525;Land Pride FDR1672; JD Brushhog; back blade; York rake; etc etc
Aug 1, 2024
KY
PS - tractor bought new in 2019. Battery is original.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I am going to guess and say the 40 amp fuse powers more than just the starter. A wiring diagram would be a great asset. Check the fuses in the fuse box, One may have blown there also. I agree jumping at the starter, it should at least crank. I would get a WSM at kubota books . com, this will have a schematic in it, and should be a big help.

Did the filter cap knock a wire off ? I would try to find what blew the fuse.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You can tow it with your loader down. Push your loader control lever forward all the way into the float position. Then run a chain or tow strap under the bucket and hook to the front frame of the tractor in front of the grill. As you pull on the chain/strap and it tightens up, with the loader in float, it will lift the bucket up off the ground. Your other option would be to put the loader in float and tow the tractor from the rear and let the bucket float on the ground.

Reactions: 2 users

USGrant

Equipment
Aug 1, 2024
KY
Start by checking/testing all your fuses. Then check your connections from the battery to the chassis.
Thx. Have done so.

USGrant

Equipment
Aug 1, 2024
KY
You can tow it with your loader down. Push your loader control lever forward all the way into the float position. Then run a chain or tow strap under the bucket and hook to the front frame of the tractor in front of the grill. As you pull on the chain/strap and it tightens up, with the loader in float, it will lift the bucket up off the ground. Your other option would be to put the loader in float and tow the tractor from the rear and let the bucket float on the ground.
Didn’t think of that. Thx so much. I could at least get it closer to my shop.

USGrant

Equipment
Aug 1, 2024
KY
I am going to guess and say the 40 amp fuse powers more than just the starter. A wiring diagram would be a great asset. Check the fuses in the fuse box, One may have blown there also. I agree jumping at the starter, it should at least crank. I would get a WSM at kubota books . com, this will have a schematic in it, and should be a big help.

Did the filter cap knock a wire off ? I would try to find what blew the fuse.
Thx. No, wires are all intact, fuses good….

USGrant

Equipment
Aug 1, 2024
KY
Start by checking/testing all your fuses. Then check your connections from the battery to the chassis.
Check. All good. And battery is at 12.5V.

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Can you turn engine over with socket on crank?

Reactions: 1 users

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Have you checked/cleaned/reinstalled these ground cables?
IMG_2234.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

USGrant

Equipment
Aug 1, 2024
KY
Would anyone know how a bad starter acts or doesnt act on one of these? Does it make a racket at idle when it goes out?
Thx. Have done so.

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
If something caused solenoid to short/engage armature, armature may be jammed against ring gear. That was were I was going with trying to turn over from front crank bolt.

Reactions: 1 users

USGrant

Equipment
Aug 1, 2024
KY
If something caused solenoid to short/engage armature, armature may be jammed against ring gear. That was were I was going with trying to turn over from front crank bolt.
That makes sense!