L305 pto engagement

Cumminshead

Equipment
Kubota L305DT, 2001 Dodge Cummins 6 speed 4x4
Dec 9, 2011
Boiling Springs, Pa
HI, I recently purchased a L305dt and have a problem with the pto. With the tractor running, no implement, pto will engage with no problem, either speed. Once hook up an implement(wood chipper) the pto lever can't be engaged, just grinds. I have to turn the tractor off, engage pto then restart. The lever for the clutch stop is not "on" clutch goes to floor board. With no implement , watching the pto shaft, once engaged and clutch is depressed it keeps spinning. Is there an adjustment for the pto or is there problem with clutch ?? Thanks in advance for any help.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
There's something odd with the clutch. Whether it has a broken part or just has a rusted-in-place clutch disc is anyone's guess.

Start by opening the inspection plate (right side) and looking for any obvious broken stuff, or metal shavings. Rotate the engine to inspect 360 around the clutch basket.

Check the adjustment on the pedal and get about 1-1/2 inch of play, perhaps it just needs a little more push to disengage.
Since the link from the pedal pushes the clutch operating lever, if it is bent, it may not push enough to disengage the PTO clutch.

Cumminshead

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
Boiling Springs, Pa
Thanks Birddogger, got the tractor in the garage today and check it out. inspection plate revealed nothing in terms of metal shavings or something broke. i do have about 2 inches of freeplay at the pedal and the clutch adjust rod is adjust all the way . using a prybar, with the pedal all way in, i cannot get the rod to move any futher forward though. guess not really anyway to see if something is stuck together without splitting the tractor, and by that time, new clutch is going in after that work.

Cumminshead

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
Boiling Springs, Pa
Birddogger, got to looking a little closer to the pedal assembly, yes the adjustment is all the way out, but all the holes for the clutch rod are all oblong. i shimmed them a little temporaily and got the freeplay to 1 1/4 inches. then into the inspection hole, i couldn't move the pto disk, so i persuaded it with a hammer and prybar, broke it loose. pto stops spinning with the clutch in. Rusted plate, never would've thought. THanks!!

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yay! Glad you figured it out.
Fashion a block of wood that holds the clutch down, put it under the floor board betwixt it and the pedal arm. That way when it is laid up a long time, the clutch discs are loose.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Neither of the people involved have been here for a looong time so I will try to explain what they did to fix this problem.

The engine has a flywheel then a clutch friction plate and then a pressure plate. The pressure plate holds the friction plate against the flywheel when the clutch pedal is NOT being pushed down. Pushing the pedal down relieves the pressure and the friction plate separates fro the spinning flywheel.

If the tractor sits with the pedal up while in storage the friction plate can stick to the flywheel so pressing the pedal makes no difference to the friction plate.

The repair is to separate the friction plate from the flywheel by some method.

There is an opening in the tractor case usually on the right side near where the brake pedals are. This person was able to somehow use a prybar and hammer to hit the friction plate and break it loose from the flywheel.

See this thread on how else may work . There are other suggestions on how to get it loose or to split the tractor and replace the clutch

kws129

Mar 8, 2017
PA
I had an L305DT with the same issue. I ended up splitting the tractor. In my case I replaced the travel clutch and I had to re-adjust everything so that it would open the PTO clutch. If you decide to tackle this I would suggest reading through the workshop manual. I also made a clutch alignment tool to get everything in place before reassembling the tractor. I'm happy to loan it out is you need.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Remember the L305 has a dual clutch. Push to a particular position and you will be able to shift the transmission gears, push further and you can shift the PTO gears. There is a lock lever on the left side by the clutch adjustment to lock the second position out if needed.

Loboracer

Equipment
L305DT
Jul 4, 2024
Fair Grove, Missouri
Remember the L305 has a dual clutch. Push to a particular position and you will be able to shift the transmission gears, push further and you can shift the PTO gears. There is a lock lever on the left side by the clutch adjustment to lock the second position out if needed.

Loboracer

Equipment
L305DT
Jul 4, 2024
Fair Grove, Missouri
I am pushing all the way down. The clutch, for shifting works fine but not the pto. I look through the right side inspection hole and I don't know exactly what to hit as it does have 2 clutches. On my external linkage there is a piece that goes forward to a lever and then there is linkage that head to the back of the tractor. I would think that when I push the clutch pedal this rear linkage would move as well by looking at it but it doesn't. Could this be my problem? My manual does not tell me what this is. I have also found that many refer to a "shop manual" when it is a user manual like I have which does not go into details like this. Thanks!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I am pushing all the way down. The clutch, for shifting works fine but not the pto. I look through the right side inspection hole and I don't know exactly what to hit as it does have 2 clutches. On my external linkage there is a piece that goes forward to a lever and then there is linkage that head to the back of the tractor. I would think that when I push the clutch pedal this rear linkage would move as well by looking at it but it doesn't. Could this be my problem? My manual does not tell me what this is. I have also found that many refer to a "shop manual" when it is a user manual like I have which does not go into details like this. Thanks!
There is an operators manual and a separate Work Shop Manual for your tractor. I have one version of the L305 work shop manual if you want it

just send an email to RussellKing at Austin dot rr dot com and I will send it to you