L3000DT won't start

Chiro

Equipment
L300DT
Aug 13, 2011
Centreville, MD
Used this no problems for years. Only 335 hrs. No heavy use. Started right up today, on off a few times. Then nothing. No noise at all. Battery is good. I think it must be in the safety switches. Where are they? How do I check this? Any advice?

Thanks
A

elkhound

Equipment
2001 Kubota L3000DT
Oct 8, 2010
Wilkesboro N.C.
I also have an L3000DT. I don't know as to where the safety switches are located. A few weeks ago i went to start it and nothing. No clicking sound like a weak battery. Everything was just dead.

My first thought was maybe i had left the high/low range shifter in gear. That wasn't it. Checked the battery, and it was fully charged. Checked battery cables, and posts. They were just fine. Checked ground strap. Fine also.

Decided to give it one more try for the evening and nothing. Figured i would need to call the local dealership the next morning when i guess the Good Lord started to feel sorry for me and gave me the idea to check the pto shifter. That was it. I guess the last time i stepped off the tractor i must have kicked it into gear.

I felt like a mental midget, but also was relieved it wasn't anything more serious. I'm sure someone with alot more since and knowledge than me will chime in soon.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
How do you know that "battery is good"? Voltage at rest should be 13.2 volts or there abouts and it should hold 12.0 volts or better with key in the start position. Is that what you have?

Chiro

Equipment
L300DT
Aug 13, 2011
Centreville, MD
I only wish. Ihave shifted gear, pto and hi/ lo levers several times. I have looked for looser electrical connectors. Nothing. There are to electrical connection on the left side of the engine compartment hi and just behind fuel tank, and one between the gear shift and pto ( it is protected by a metal cover) and had two wires to it. Something makes me think one of those have something to do with it, but l need to find out what they are.

Chiro

Equipment
L300DT
Aug 13, 2011
Centreville, MD
I have 12.8 volts, after trying to start it way to many times ( I just couldn't believe it won't start). Granted, I use it lightly, but i have owned it since 2003, and never a hiccup! It is dark here now, and it is in the field, so tomorrow morn I will try to jump it. The lights are strong, 3 times I started it today, no hesitation; just fired up!

Chiro

Equipment
L300DT
Aug 13, 2011
Centreville, MD
Update:

I have tried to jump start the tractor; same results. NOTHIN! no sounds, no nothing. Since I think is one of the safety switches ( pto neutral, gear neutral, or hi/ lo neutral), I shorted across the starter. Lots of whirring, it was spinning but not contacting any gears to start the motor.

Could it be the safety system? Does it prevent the starter from engaging the engine?

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I shorted across the starter. Lots of whirring, it was spinning but not contacting any gears to start the motor.
You need to short the big terminal (from battery) to the small terminal (from switch(es). That it spun mean the starter is good. You need to energized the solenoid (small terminal) to get the solenoid to engage the gear, then the contact (internal to solenoid) completes the power to the motor windings.
There can be up to 6 safety switches: clutch switch, PTO neutral, brake, seat switch, HST hi-lo neutral, in HST's the motion pedal switch.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Unless they added more safety switches since 2000 you have 2. The high/low and the pto shifter. My high/low switch gave me some trouble a while back. Even in neutral it wouldn't crank. I had to hold the shifter in just the right place or nothing would happen. Also, the pto switch can be activated when the lever is lifted up just past the off position. I would check the pto lever and then move the high/low shifter back and forth in the neutral range while trying to start it. The design on this switch is about as dependable as china made tools.

bigoltimbear

Sep 20, 2017
Buna, Texas, USA
Unless they added more safety switches since 2000 you have 2. The high/low and the pto shifter. My high/low switch gave me some trouble a while back. Even in neutral it wouldn't crank. I had to hold the shifter in just the right place or nothing would happen. Also, the pto switch can be activated when the lever is lifted up just past the off position. I would check the pto lever and then move the high/low shifter back and forth in the neutral range while trying to start it. The design on this switch is about as dependable as china made tools.
Harvey flooded my machine halfway up the engine. I had no problem starting the tractor, and moved it to the barn where I changed the oul, and coincidently replaced the seat. I then cranked it up and drove it to its parking spot. I have not been able to dtart it since. The glow plug light does not come on snd the starter does not spin(I can hear the solenoid click). I have installed a new starter, battery, and battery cables.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

firstpass

Equipment
L3000DT
Oct 22, 2017
Kooskia Idaho
I am new to my tractor and having some starter problems.
The guy i bought it from told me that there is a fusible link right before the starter. If that get too hot you are done. I am going to test that and probably replace.

Firstpass