L2800 hst pto

Flipper

Jan 26, 2017
Southern Il
I have a l2800 that pto slips past. Was told by several mechanics that I had to pull top to check if things were bent told them it was an HST so I pulled the top to find you can see nothing. I am able to adjust it farther in gear. My question is what is proper adjustment for this model with this transmission. Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a l2800 that pto slips past. Was told by several mechanics that I had to pull top to check if things were bent told them it was an HST so I pulled the top to find you can see nothing. I am able to adjust it farther in gear. My question is what is proper adjustment for this model with this transmission. Thanks
Flip,

not sure I understand the problem:)

PTO does not engage? OR does not stay engaged?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pto does not seem fully engaged if you even turn it back and forth by hand you can hear it slip past the cog inside
That's normal to hear that sound, it's called a one way clutch, it to keep the implement from over running and driving the tractor! ;)

Flipper

Jan 26, 2017
Southern Il
I understand the over running clutch but it would not pull. How far to adjust it to engage it just till it is in all the way? It was just barely catching at all

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the PTO lever is moving from one end of the slot to the other and your hearing the one way clutch then it most likely fully engaged.

There is no "gear engagement just the one way clutch disk.
Hand spin the PTO shaft and disengage the lever, it should disengage about 1/2 the way though the slot.
Do not adjust the cable too tight or it will wear the fork and cost you a ton more to repair.

The possible bad news is the one way paws are worn and it will need to be replaced (kind of a common issue with that model).

The 1/2 part of the One way clutch in yellow that engages and disengages.

Attachments

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
No, you can't see a thing from the top, other than part of the shaft.

If the lever is going all the way "in", and "out", then the problem is likely the PTO clutch halves being worn. The edges of the "clutch" are supposed to be sort of sharp edged, which helps the two halves stay engaged with each other. If they wear (and they do over time), where the edges get more rounded, then they won't stay engaged with each other and it "slips"-making kind of a rattling noise in the process.

Have also seen where the front half of the PTO clutch is jammed hard against the spring and into the splines, thus stuck...but usually this results in NO PTO operation at all. Have also seen a shaft or two broken, but again, usually no operation of PTO. USUALLY. Had one last year that the shaft was broken, but the two halves of the shaft were broken irregularly such that they'd kind of hold against each other enough to turn the PTO shaft, but wouldn't transfer much torque before they'd slip against each other.

pretty easy repair. Split the tractor between the differential housing and the HST case. Your problem should be staring you in the face once it's apart. If it's got a loader on it, you may have to remove the subframes depending on the loader, which is the hardest part, IMO. That and the front wheel drive propeller shaft.