L2800 dies

mikeboggess

Equipment
L2800
Sep 27, 2017
Canton
2007 L2800 has started dieing. After it warms up not so much. My son thinks it is the seat switch. Has 540 hrs. Gear shift. Diesel. Does not die when in reverse. One more thingy, it has become difficult to put the gearbox in the high position w/o double clutching or putting in reverse first.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I found an operator's manual on Kubota books.
I learned your tractor has an operator presence controller.
It reads this way to me. If you are in the operator's seat, engine running and pto engaged, then if the tractor thinks you have fallen off it will stop the engine in 1 second.

I also interpret this to mean if the pto is not engaged, then the operator presence control wont stop the engine.

Test: Switch for the operator's seat
1. Sit on the operator's seat
2. Start the engine
3. Engage the PTO gear shift lever
4. Stand up (Do not get off the machine)
5. The engine must shut off after approximately 1 second
6. If it does not stop go to dealer

The "does not happen in reverse," is not making me think of anything. Perhaps a more detailed description of when, and how this problem makes it condition known. Fuel tank full. Level ground or slope. You say not so much when warmed up. How cold outside is it when this happens

If you don't have an operator's manual, I suggest you download and read carefully so you can know if what you are experiencing is part of the design or a malfunction.
www.kubotabooks.com

The high low range shift is always touchy to get into a different range. I try and do it just before the tractor stops moving so the gears are still slowly rotating.

Dave M7040

Last edited:

mikeboggess

Equipment
L2800
Sep 27, 2017
Canton
I found an operator's manual on Kubota books.
I learned your tractor has an operator presence controller.
It reads this way to me. If you are in the operator's seat, engine running and pto engaged, then if the tractor thinks you have fallen off it will stop the engine in 1 second.

I also interpret this to mean if the pto is not engaged, then the operator presence control wont stop the engine.

Test: Switch for the operator's seat
1. Sit on the operator's seat
2. Start the engine
3. Engage the PTO gear shift lever
4. Stand up (Do not get off the machine)
5. The engine must shut off after approximately 1 second
6. If it does not stop go to dealer

The "does not happen in reverse," is not making me think of anything. Perhaps a more detailed description of when, and how this problem makes it condition known. Fuel tank full. Level ground or slope. You say not so much when warmed up. How cold outside is it when this happens

If you don't have an operator's manual, I suggest you download and read carefully so you can know if what you are experiencing is part of the design or a malfunction.
www.kubotabooks.com

The high low range shift is always touchy to get into a different range. I try and do it just before the tractor stops moving so the gears are still slowly rotating.

Dave M7040
My apologies for the delayed reply to your response to my issue. Thank you for your reply. I changed out the 2 switches and solved the problem.