L2501 Question

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Have you tried mowing those slopes with the loader off? I can pop the loader on and off my B2601 pretty quick and gives me a good bit more power. Problem with the B2601 and the loader off is the front end becomes very light. Have to be careful.

I would think an L3301 or L3901 with spacers and filled tires with the loader off could lift a 5' or 6' finish mower without having such a "tipsy" front end and have a good bit more power to pull up the slopes.
I actually like the loader on for stability and I am already mowing as fast as I deem safe.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Have you tried mowing those slopes with the loader off? I can pop the loader on and off my B2601 pretty quick and gives me a good bit more power. Problem with the B2601 and the loader off is the front end becomes very light. Have to be careful.

I would think an L3301 or L3901 with spacers and filled tires with the loader off could lift a 5' or 6' finish mower without having such a "tipsy" front end and have a good bit more power to pull up the slopes.
Hmmm, interesting thought…

I don’t mow anything with my L2501 and I’ve never had the loader off but, I mowed all the time with my B2601 and had the loader off often, and always off during mowing sessions. Removing the loader increased stability and helped substantially on my hilly, sloped terrain.

I too would be interested to hear from anyone that removes the loader on the L2501 and works on hillsides.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Sorry to the OP for getting off topic but may help to realize some of the possible power issues with the L2501 and slopes be it with box blades or mowers.

I'm currently using a 5' finish mower but would like to step up to a 6' Lanpride finish mower, be able to handle slopes in medium gear. Grass will rarely be more than 6" tall as it's cut regularly. I've seen some videos of a guy pulling a 6' finish mower with an L3301 on slopes which was encouraging. Just don't want ANY PART of low gear and weekly mowing tasks! Might even consider a 3901 gear drive. I like the hydro but I'm wondering if putting in gear, taking the foot off the pedal and just going would be easier since mowing is my main task. Probably crazy to be thinking about a gear drive but the 3901 unlike the 3301 does have a 2 stage clutch!
No problem. The more info the better. What I should do is just covert my Allis CA to 3 point hitch and start working it instead of it just being a play toy. Use it for a box blade tractor. It has no shortage of power.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I actually like the loader on for stability and I am already mowing as fast as I deem safe.

Dan
I like having my loader on as well. In fact, I dislike having those quick attach pads not attached to anything since an unintended bump here and there can tweak one of the pads out of synch by twisting that bar (unless I want pull the whole works off, and I’m definitely not doing that). If I get into some really thick stuff, I like running the FEL bucket low to hit unknown objects with instead.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I 100% recommend geared tractor if all you're doing is mowing. I mowed for several hours today with my dinosaur tractor and just put it in gear and enjoyed the cool weather. I bought the 2501HST for the loader to save my back.

You can still box blade and other tasks geared, just need the 2 stage clutch. And your calf will be really strong.

I like geared on my medium steep hill because it's more of a safety factor for me. The tractor will not run away in gear. Just be careful as soon as you push the clutch in.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
3901 has 2 stage clutch, 3301 has single stage clutch. Also a 3901 gear drive is basically the same cost as 3301 hydrostat. Of the approximate 150 hours I've put on my B2601 over the past year I'd say 80% or more has been mowing. I do however find myself reversing direction a fair amount when mowing on certain areas of my property but I guess you get use to working a gear drive. Would be nice though not to have to have my foot on the hydro pedal for a good portion of the the 4 hours or so it takes me to mow. Buddy of mine is a big Kubota fan and he prefers the gear drives. I would think a 3901 gear drive with the loader off could manage a 6' finish mower with ease. There are downsides to gear drives but I guess some positives also.