L2501 or B2650?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I thought I would update my situation. I made the trip to the Kubota with check in hand to place my down payment on the L2501. It seemed to be exactly what I wanted at the price I wanted to pay.
When I got there I looked at the BX and B series then the manager took me to the L2501.
That machine is huge in comparison...............and at that point I realized it was just too much tractor for my needs. Don't get me wrong, It is a magnificent piece of equipment at a great price. But all things considered it would be overkill for what I have to do.
The B2301 will most likely be my final choice. I would buy the B2301 with the gear / shuttle but I have discovered that they are no longer made and impossible to find.

Sigh...............

LMTractorGuy

Equipment
L2501HST, LA525, RCR1260, BB1260, Titan 48" SS Forks, Stump Bucket
Sep 20, 2016
SC
I was faced with many of the same questions on my first tractor purchase. 5 acres, road maintenance, a little bush hogging, loader work. My friend just bought a BX25D and I liked it. Went to the dealer and saw the B series and it just seemed the the larger tractor would better fit my needs. Then I found I could purchase the L2501 for less than a B2601 with the current promotions. Originally thought the L2501 was too large for my needs. After much reading on OTT I determined that the L2501 was perfect for me. It will be delivered this Friday. I hope I made the correct choice.

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
I was faced with many of the same questions on my first tractor purchase. 5 acres, road maintenance, a little bush hogging, loader work. My friend just bought a BX25D and I liked it. Went to the dealer and saw the B series and it just seemed the the larger tractor would better fit my needs. Then I found I could purchase the L2501 for less than a B2601 with the current promotions. Originally thought the L2501 was too large for my needs. After much reading on OTT I determined that the L2501 was perfect for me. It will be delivered this Friday. I hope I made the correct choice.
I think you'll be glad you chose the larger tractor. Last year I went to the dealer to get a B2650 but I ended up with an L3901. I'm glad I went bigger for my almost 11 forested acres.

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
I borrowed an L3030 from a neighbor for a few projects around my place (light dirt work and post hole digging) then purchased an L2501 the other day. My new tractor has loaded rear tires, where as the B series did not.

My initial comparison of the 2 machines is that the chassis size feels damn near the same. The loader on the L seems to stick out further both wide and long compared to the B, but that might just be my memory. The L series wth loaded tires feels a LOT more stable over uneven ground and digs with the bucket much easier. It feels a lot more solid and stable, while not feeling much larger.

LMTractorGuy

Equipment
L2501HST, LA525, RCR1260, BB1260, Titan 48" SS Forks, Stump Bucket
Sep 20, 2016
SC
My new L2501 was delivered 5pm yesterday. I went over the operation with the dealer, bush hogged a small patch of grass and put it to bed for the night. Worked today clearing the new lot, moving brush and logs with the pallet forks, I am very happy with everything about the L2501. It has so much torque between 1700-2100 rpm, is does not strugle to do anything I needed to do. Only issue today was the pin on the seat hinge pin was missing (about 4 hour on the meter) and when I depressed the HST peddle tractor would try to shut off. Quickly figured it out because of all the great tips on OTT, used a paper clip and was up and running again. Thanks again for all the great help on OTT.

Last edited:

Myb3350

Equipment
B3350 JD430 Moline BG and BF
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
It can be a hard decision, for me I went with a B 3350 with CAB AND FEL about the same as a B2650, the B3350 / B2650 is the smallest Kubota tractor with a factor CAB my tractor is small enough to cut my lawn (5 ft rear finishing mower) and big enough to Bush hog my pasture (5 ft heavy duty bush hog brand bush hog) the tractor is the perfect size for me and my needs but all of us have different needs LOVE THE CAB AIR AND NO DUST

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I borrowed an L3030 from a neighbor for a few projects around my place (light dirt work and post hole digging) then purchased an L2501 the other day. My new tractor has loaded rear tires, where as the B series did not.

My initial comparison of the 2 machines is that the chassis size feels damn near the same. The loader on the L seems to stick out further both wide and long compared to the B, but that might just be my memory. The L series wth loaded tires feels a LOT more stable over uneven ground and digs with the bucket much easier. It feels a lot more solid and stable, while not feeling much larger.
Not sure what you mean by the B series not having loaded rear tires. As far as I know you can fill the rear tires on darn near anything?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Funny how things change. Since I started my search Kubota came up with the 84 month 0% finance. I wound up with the B2320, 4wd with HST.
With that machine I bought the FDR1660, the FEL, and the BB1260.
After a few months of use I couldn't be happier. The mower cuts every bit as smooth as my Cub tractor did, which is a great mower. The box blade has saved me quite a bit of $$ when I was able to repair / resurface my gravel driveway myself.
And the FEL is just the tool for clearing a wooded area to build a new equipment shed and the extra hand I need to move the rocks that magically grow here in the Ozarks..
I cut about 3 acres of grass and for me, a bigger machine would have been a bit too much to navigate around trees and buildings without spending some time trimming with a smaller mower and weed eater. The tractor and mower combination is a good fit for me since I can change implements quickly.
I decided against the belly mower for that reason.

Myb3350

Equipment
B3350 JD430 Moline BG and BF
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
I have the big brother B3350 cab tractor great tractor, I have a 5 ft rear finishing mower for my lawn and a 5 ft heavy duty bush hog for the pasture, I think the tractor is great for both yard and pasture plus I think resale would be much better on a larger tractor, a big tractor will do what a small tractor will do but a small tractor will not do what a larger tractor will do most of the time, my opinion is go big.

Bdheggie3

Equipment
Nothing yet.... Hopefully very very soon
Apr 7, 2016
Shelton, WA
Sooooo... Update for you guys... Do to financial constraints over the past few months I was unable to get my tractor. But this week is the week. As long as they are cool with me financing. I changed my mind once again and am going to go with the L2501. More torque. 100+in3 engine... and I am discovering I have more heavy duty work to do on my property than I originally thought. Makes more sense buying this than it does spending thousands on renting... How's everyone's L2501's treating them?

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Ive been staring at spec sheets myself. I have only read one instance where an owner traded, or was attempting to trade his L2501HST for a gear version as the HST whine was compounding his tinnitus.

I need to mow, bush hog and move snow. I would really like a backhoe and a BX25D with a mmm is cheaper than an L2501 with just a loader. However, where I brush hog the terrain is pretty rough for my B7610 with 23" front tires. So dropping to 18" BX fronts would be even worse.

I prefer to keep RPMs around 2000, and thats just about PTO speed on the L2501.

Pricing out a B2650 TLB is around 28k. I just cant justify that.

Even a B2301 TLB is over 24k.

If I skip the backhoe, I can always rent a mini Ex a few times for planting trees. I also prefer all my attachments to be on the 3pt. After swapping the mmm a few times I grew disenchanted with it. Im only 35, but with 2 bulging discs, and 2 ruined hips I really put off my bush hogging until it really needs it.

Overall, the new Bs and L2501 have great reputations, and I doubt you'll regret buying any of them.

PrestonD

Feb 23, 2017
Millbrook
I am settled on getting the B2650 but later in the sales process the salesman says that the Kubota web site says you can't get a MMM on B2650 with R4 industrial tires? But the "build your tractor" on Kubota.com allows this configuration. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
I recently purchased a L2501 with loader and backhoe, and faced the same dilemma. I am amazed how I went from feeling like it was a monster, to realizing I can fit in some pretty tight spaces. Even with the backhoe sticking out. I have a heavily wooded lot with plenty of obstacles. I would attribute this to the controls being very smooth, both drive, loader, and backhoe. I have loaded tires, and I think that helps as well. Overall, I am very pleased with the tractor, and I am glad I did not go for a B series. I have operated both a B2650TLB, and my tractor, and other than the weight, I don't thing the machines have much of an advantage over one another as far as actual working performance. It comes down to the B2650 having a lot of nice creature comforts, and being more comfortable, and the L2501 being more of a work horse, and less refined. That being said, there are numerous post on the LA525 Loader having some issues, and the LA534 being build a little stronger. It is an easy fix to correct the LA525, but a fix non the less. As an aside, If you are considering the BH77, make sure you have a good relationship with your dealer for warranty repairs. I have a broken pin on the stabilizer arms at 9 hours.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I am settled on getting the B2650 but later in the sales process the salesman says that the Kubota web site says you can't get a MMM on B2650 with R4 industrial tires? But the "build your tractor" on Kubota.com allows this configuration. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I bought my 2650 with R4's and a 60" deck.