L2501 or B2650?

Bdheggie3

Equipment
Nothing yet.... Hopefully very very soon
Apr 7, 2016
Shelton, WA
Hey All- I am new to all of this stuff. My wife and I have 5 acres and 3 of which is going to be grass. We are currently developing and moving out there. Lots of work to do. I am trying to figure out the best route to go for something that I can use for mowing lawn and also dirt work and all that jazz. Also potentially getting the 8 acres next door and will be doing a christmas tree farm. What should I be looking for or what am I missing. I want to make sure I am picking the right Orange tractor.

Thanks in advance!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I now have about 3-1/2 acres and have been using RFM's since 1992. When we only had 2-1/4 acres of grass it took me about 1-1/4 hours with a 5 foot rear mower. Then we seeded the remainder and went with a 6 foot deck and from a B7500 (21HP) to the L3200 (32HP). If I hustle I can do the 3-1/2 acres between 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 hours. The bigger tractor is more comfortable to operate. Many guys are very fond of zero turns and will say they can mow twice as fast with the ZT. Hard for me to picture someone mowing my place in 45 minutes.

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
I would agree with previous posts. Get the tractor size you need; then worry about how you are going to mow later. Zero turn is better suited for mowing; but if you had to, you can make due with a B2650. I think an L would be too big and heavy for finish mowing.

B2650 has the option for a MMM; but an L2501 would need a rear 3pt finish mower.

Think about what and how much you are going to need to move/lift with the FEL. Also think about what you are going to put on the 3pt. If you are going to get a chipper for example, more 3pt HP is better.

As far as mowing. I mow with an Exmark 60" and I will do circles around my B2650 (Which is being delivered today! ).

Just food for thought.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Sounds like you are trying to get one machine to do everything. That is what I wanted to do also instead of having to buy separate mower. Zero turn mowers can get pretty pricey. Went with B2650 with loader and mmm. It has worked out very well. Can use loader to bucket material and grade and other chores. Use mmm to mow property around house. Can pin mmm up and still use 3pt hitch and implements if you want or remove mmm in 3-4 minutes and use 3pt and implements for those chores. It has been a very efficient system and just one machine to maintain. Good luck.

Last edited:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry, I was thinking of this thread when I responded to a new post in the "BX or B" thread (that I thought was on this one). I think my comments may have some relevance there too, so I left it, but I'm copying it here quoted below.
I'm not really qualified to offer any advice, but I will offer my current thinking regarding my own choices.

Many years ago I had a couple of 20-40 acre properties in a local area with a variety of uses. I had several different tractors including Ford, Long, and a (trashed)Case over the years, but for the main part I had an old well worn MF T35 (IIRC?) that I got a good deal on with lots of implements and it just did every thing I ever asked, never thought much about it. But all that was sold some 20 years ago when the local economy collapsed and I realized I need to be and do something else.

Now I have a small 1+ acre property in N Phoenix with plans to buy some land up N in the next few years. Heard good things about the older small Kubotas, so thinking "I don't need anything like I had before, this will do.", I bought a sad old B7100. First off, the 3 point ticked me off from day one. Here I moved to a popular tractor several decades newer than my sad old beater and it has an unbelievably (comparatively) primitive 3 point control that I could never seem to "get and keep right". And I thought I was ready to accept the enormous drop in capacity, but I didn't need to run a 8'(ish?) bush-hog mower through heavy grass/hay/silage/corn (or the like) any more. Wrong. Everything I tried to do with that little loader or the 3 point, it seemed like I was pushing or beyond the limits. Just improper expectations on my part. But I still liked the little tractor for what it does well enough (and it's small enough to get around on a little property).

Then I found a decent deal on a B2150. I thought to myself, "now here is a better compromise more in keeping with my earlier experiences". And it had the position control 3 point, which would have been a deal breaker without at this point. Cut to the chase, I still hit the limits every time I turn around. It's stronger and more capable by far, but still only manages a meager 1k lbs on the 3 point, and the loader is only slightly stronger than the B7100. So again, I made a mistake in gauging my own expectations and doing proper due diligence on actual capacity rather than assuming. Though unlike the B7100, it does run the Auger easily that gave the smaller B fits, and it came with a decent sized frame mount Backhoe that I still haven't managed to get rebuilt and in service (partly because I keep waffling on selling it to upgrade again).

So, for me, if I ever decide to get fed up and sell one or both of the 2 little tractors I have, I don't think I would ever get anything less than an L in the orange tractor line. In practical numbers, I certainly don't need another MF like my old one, but I really wish that's what I had gotten again. And the loader on that tractor, in spite of not being all that much physically larger (though much heavier) would easily lift 3+ times what this B2150 does. Is it enough, yeah, but I don't like working around limitations of my equipment or tools, preferring to have more than I need and just getting things done.

Maine

Equipment
B2650 RTV-X1120
Apr 12, 2016
Midcoast Maine
Keep in mind that the B2650 is larger than other B series tractors, though considerably smaller than the L2501.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
B2650 to do everything you listed, and keep the money you will save by not wasting it on big tractors and a separate mower.

I maintain 21 acres with a B2620, built one kilometer of bush road with it and have no trouble doing it.

Bdheggie3

Equipment
Apr 7, 2016
Shelton, WA
Thank you everyone! I want this thing to do a little bit of everything but not conquer at anything specifically. I am also making sure that my wife will be able to run it and mow and all that stuff with relative ease. I am thinking of doing a B2650 with an FEL and a backhoe right now and then get a MMM later when we actually have a yard. Looking to hopefully do one of those package deals and convince them to hook me up with a dump trailer. Problem being is I am only finding one dealer in all of Western Wa who will do that and they are 3 hours away. Oh well. If my wife got the job she interviewed for today, I should have a new orange machine real soon. And for anyone who thinks I should look into a brush hog and a box scraper. I am in luck because my uncle has all that and some augers that I can borrow whenever so I think it will be a good set up.

I am just extremely nervous on picking out all of these implements and the tractor considering it is big $$$$ and I want the right thing. I am happy I read into the B3350's and their issues prior because that is what I was originally looking at.

shoholasmokin

Jul 14, 2016
Shohola, PA
Newbie here. I too am faced with the L2501 or B2650 decision. I want a tractor with HST, R4s (loaded), FEL w/ quick attach, a power angle front blade and a backhoe. The backhoe on the two tractors is the same and quite frankly the specs seem very close. The rear pto capacity is slightly higher with the 2650 (1676 vs 1389) although the PTO power is slightly higher with the L2501 (20.5 vs 19.5). I get an extra inch of ground clearance with the 2650. Wheel base is 2 inches longer on the 2650 and the width of the 2650 is about 1.5 inches narrower. The big difference is the weight 1786 for the 2650 while the L2501 comes in at 2623. I have 10 acres mostly wooded so mowing is not really that important - push mower should suffice for a while. I have about 600 ft of steep, read that very steep, gravel driveway to maintain and remove snow. Also will be using it for general landscaping, trees, shrubs, beds etc. Also contemplating cutting a path through the woods to some state land that backs up to the property. The wife finally gave the go ahead and we looked at a bunch of tractors. She was a little intimidated by the larger tractors and she really liked the b2601. Went tractor shopping with some friends who do excavating and logging and another one who is also in the market for a tractor figuring we could do a twofer. The B2601 fit his needs perfectly. But at this point I was leaning towards the L2501. Note the wife did not go tractor shopping with the boys. Shopped around and went back to the dealer and saw the B2650. Bigger than the B2601 but visually smaller that the L2501. I know I said I don't contemplate mowing but knowing that the mid PTO is there on the B2650 gives me a sense of comfort. So am I missing anything? Are the B2650 and the L2501 comparable tractors for what I want to do? Purchase is imminent! Really would like your input.

Bdheggie3

Equipment
Apr 7, 2016
Shelton, WA
No real update from me other than the fact that I will be going with the 2650. After looking around and trying out the two of them, I think the 2650 is more appropriate for what we are going to be doing on our property because it isn't a straight up work horse like the 2501. Also, because I can get the belly mower. I will be having about 3acres of grass so it is important to me in that regard. Those are the primary reasons but after everything I have seen, and what I have heard is that the 2501 is going to be more of your down and dirty worker and the 2650 is going to be a little more on the luxurious side.

old freddie

Equipment
B2920 with FEL, first choice GM30-60 finish mower, Kodiak 4'SD rotary cutter. Pi
Jul 6, 2016
Pisgah Forest, NC
my dealer did not have a B2650 but did have the B2601 and L2501 which are the two he tried to sell me. He was pushing the L2501 due to it being just under the price of the B. For my work on the mountain I was intimidated by the size and weight of the L but maybe that is just feelings. I thought I wanted the mmm but after purchasing a used B2920 with finish mower and FEL i may choose to try out the finish mower as others have said it does a good job. I wanted a small footprint and low to the ground for a rotary cutter to clear the under brush on the mountain side in the woods. Everyone has there particular needs. I have purchased a rotary cutter and now looking for something to maintain the 500 foot steep drive. not an easy choice.

drab m

Jul 13, 2016
Southern Illinois
For the b2650 with SSQA loader and the backhoe, I am getting numbers like 26,500 - are you seeing something similar?
I don't know about the hoe. My local dealer's initial quote for the B2650, hydrostatic and R4 tires, with SSQA loader and RCR1260 cutter was $18,805. Same setup for the L2501 was $17,945. That is at 0% for 60 months. Cash price was within a couple hundred, so financing is a no brainier. I get the sense that there might be a little negotiation room in those numbers, but not a lot.

If the numbers were flipped I would go with the B2650, but...

Just today he says they now added a $3,000 rebate on the B3350, so it is in the mix. I suppose they have to add that to sell them since they now have such a bad reputation. He feels confident that they have fixed the DPF issues. Not sure if I want to be there guinea pig... I plan to drive one tomorrow.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Let me tell you what I am doing.
I had to make a decision between the L2501 or the B2301.
I wanted a finish pto mower rather than a belly mower for ease of removal for other attachments, box or scraper blade etc.
I contacted the nearest dealer and told him what I wanted.
I chose the 2wd and the gear transmission for the L2501 but those were not available on the B2301...just 4wd and HST.

The bottom line is this, the bigger tractor was quoted about $3200 LESS than the smaller.
I am able to get the L2501 for about $12,500...with a60" finish mower and 60" box blade.

Knowing that the tractor will be more than adequate for my needs and perhaps future needs I am choosing the L2501.

I didn't feel that the 4wd or hst transmission was worth the additional $3200.

Last edited:

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
I bought a 2650 but the 2501 was not available. Wasn't aware the L was 2WD.
I've had times where 2wd didn't cut it, I even had to lock the rear and 4wd to move a few times where i was doing things.

If I was just towing stuff where traction wasn't an issue I would be tempted for the heavier 2501.

For similar capabilities if the L had 4wd I may have been better with the L. But I don't dislike my B at all. It's a beast.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Wasn't aware the L was 2WD.
It is available with 4wd and hydro transmission as well.
But those two items increased the price by$4000.....and I didn't need them since I am basically mowing and occasional grading. (homeowner projects)