L2501 HST noise - more of a screech than a whine

Ricky Steele

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77
Nov 8, 2020
Edmond, Oklahoma
I just got my L2501 HST (first tractor) and it has a noise that I would describe as a screech more than a whine.

It's significantly more pronounced in High than the other drive settings and worse going up even a minor slope.

I made a couple of short videos and shared with my Kubota dealer (about 20 miles away) and they assured me it is normal but I've watched some videos of the L2501 HST and this sounds so much worse.

I've checked the hydraulic fluid level and it looks ok.

Here are a couple of youtube links to the short videos.

I'd appreciate any feedback / comparison, especially if you have an L2501 HST.

Video #1

Video #2 - This one has more of the "screech sound"

Thanks!
Ricky

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I have some hearing problems, and some frequencies are more difficult to hear than others. I didn't hear anything different from what I heard on the L3200 I had. The L3200 was louder than both the B7500 I had and the current L4240.

When using the L3200 as an open station, the whine was so pronounced that I needed ear plugs if I wore a brimmed hat. It seemed like the brim of the hat bounced the sound back to my ears - like cupping your hand over your ear to hear faint sounds. After I built the cab for it, I needed ear protection all the time when operating it.

CurtisC

Equipment
B26TLB
Sep 12, 2011
Elk Park, NC
Ricky, I've got a 2009 B26TLB and listened to both videos. Judging by the level of engine noise I'd call that HST whine about normal but maybe a little bit more pronounced than mine. Hard to tell without being there in person. Also not sure how warmed up the oil is in video but you'll get a little more noise before it's warmed up particularly in cold weather. You didn't say what fluid you're running but don't try to save $$ on your hydro oil only run Kubota Super UDT2 - it's best for your HST tranny and quietest. I'd confirm that dealer used Super UDT2 and not plain UDT.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Since your dealer is not far away, why not visit the dealership and have them demo another L2501 for comparison.

If similar, you can put your worries away. If not, you can discuss the issue further with the dealer.

This is what I would do...

edit: Also ask whether UDT or SUDT is in the tractor. It has been reported that SUDT runs quieter than UDT as far as HST whine goes.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Ricky, my L2501 whines too depending on the situation. I noticed in your second video you are starting off in High. Your gonna find that High range is a bit much for the L2501 most of the time other than perhaps road travel. You should never really use it unless your are on the road. It is much happier in Low or Medium. I just think it is a limitation of the 25 hp threshold.

I also jam the throttle just as far down as needed when I have to. Being that the engine is already derated to not surpass 25 hp, I doubt it hurts anything, even when new and "breaking in".

I also have a bit more fluid in mine that the manual recommends. Mine is just a bit over half in the sight window. I know some people do that. I am not recommending it, just telling you what I've done.

I also wear ear plugs when I run mine.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I have close to 50 hours of running time on my L2501 and judging by your video's yours sounds exactly as mine does.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Another L2501 owner here. Mine has about 80 hours on it now (purchased May 2019). I listened closely to your 2 videos. I think it sounds pretty normal. The whine increases the higher gear you go. In low gear you should have a much smaller whine. High gear can whine pretty loudly, especially going up a hill or carrying any type of load. High gear is really only meant to run down a roadway with no load. If you accidently leave the park break on it will whine super loud, this is a good alert to me, so it helps me not make that mistake.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
My L3301 sounds about the same, too. That's how it was from day one and up to 80 hours so far.

Ricky Steele

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77
Nov 8, 2020
Edmond, Oklahoma
Thank you all for your responses! Very helpful.

I will visit the dealer this weekend if I can and do a quick demo / comparison as you all suggested.

I'll send an update on what I find out.

Ricky Steele

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77
Nov 8, 2020
Edmond, Oklahoma
I have some hearing problems, and some frequencies are more difficult to hear than others. I didn't hear anything different from what I heard on the L3200 I had. The L3200 was louder than both the B7500 I had and the current L4240.

When using the L3200 as an open station, the whine was so pronounced that I needed ear plugs if I wore a brimmed hat. It seemed like the brim of the hat bounced the sound back to my ears - like cupping your hand over your ear to hear faint sounds. After I built the cab for it, I needed ear protection all the time when operating it.
I too have hearing problems and am wearing ear coverings almost all of the time. I guess it was just the first few times without them on that this caught my attention. Funny how once you get somethignin your head, it nags at you!

Thanks for the reply!

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
Thank you all for your responses! Very helpful.

I will visit the dealer this weekend if I can and do a quick demo / comparison as you all suggested.

I'll send an update on what I find out.
I have a 2017 L2501 HST with 180 hours and a 2020 L2501 HST with 30 hours and they both sound like that but if the dealer is close might as well let them hear it.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I run all HST's as commented they can be noisy more so in high gear. Hearing protection provides 2 benefits in Michigan at this time of year, I like the extra bit of warmth. In the summer I'm much more tolerable of the HST noise!