L245dt value

chartersj

Equipment
L245dt
Oct 25, 2018
New brunswick, Canada
I am looking at purchasing my first tractor, Its a L245dt with a FEL and cab with just over 2300 hours. The owner broke the steering 3 winters ago and has not run it since. I have read the steering boxes failing is fairly common with these, however to remove the steering box it appears I will have to remove the cab as the front comes down in the middle of the fuel tank, and the steering column goes through the middle of the tank. Besides that, the base pan and front right axle behind the wheel has a slow leak, the wiring is a mess, and will obviously need a new battery, all fluids changed, and what ever else to get it running. It has been left outside, and was repainted at one point in its life and now all that paint is flaking and the whole tractor could use another repaint. I could move the crank pulley enough to know its not seized. I am not new to working on stuff and feel it is all stuff I can do myself, but I am having a hard time figuring out what to offer him. What do you guys think its worth?

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I am on the other end of the country and paid over $6k for a running L245dt with a loader, no cab, 1970 hours. I wouldn't pay more than $1500, since you could find more issues that make it no longer feasible to fix up, and the $1500 could be recouped by selling parts.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I always start off by asking the seller what they want for their item. That way you're not insulting them if your idea is too low, and you may also be surprised at what the seller will offer it for.

From your description it will need the steering box fixed, and it looks bad because of paint and setting outside, battery, (maybe tires) etc . I'd remind the seller of what needs to be done and that includes removing the cab to get to it. And it's a 35-40 year old tractor and parts require a search party.

Everybody's market is different, but if I was up to the work, I'd be thinking about starting at $1,000. You can always move up, but not down.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would take D2Cat advice.....

always ask WHAT they want for it.....(it's theirs - some see gold, some see - get this POS out of here)

then offer a lower price, after pointing out the obvious problems.....
Then work up if need be.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
If you can fix it up, you'll love it. They are great tractors - any chance we can get some pics?

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
That's a pretty neat setup, actually. I hope it works out for you and you get it running - I can't say enough good things about my L245DT. They are solid, There is an owner's manual at kubotabooks.com and someone on here might be able to help you out with the work shop manual. I had to re-do the wiring on mine and after some fits and starts it was pretty easy to figure it out and fix/replace most of it.

chartersj

Equipment
L245dt
Oct 25, 2018
New brunswick, Canada
That's a pretty neat setup, actually. I hope it works out for you and you get it running - I can't say enough good things about my L245DT. They are solid, There is an owner's manual at kubotabooks.com and someone on here might be able to help you out with the work shop manual. I had to re-do the wiring on mine and after some fits and starts it was pretty easy to figure it out and fix/replace most of it.
I have got him down to $1000. However it needs a ton of work. I don't mind working on stuff but I'm afraid it's too far gone. I put jumper cables onto the battery and couldn't get the starter solenoid to operate. So I crossed the solenoid and the starter motor spins but will not engage into the flywheel. The cab is welded to the FEL down low on the front of the cab. So that will have to be cut to pull it off. The front and back window is cracked. The bucket has rusted through in spot and feel it will start twisting itself apart once you start working it. It's low on coolant...cannot reach any with my finger in the top of the rad...no idea how low or if there is any in it at all. Not to mention the base pan and front right wheel leaking oil. I would feel more comfortable if I knew the motor was fine but also worried about the clutch being stuck to the flywheel from sitting. The peddle does go down all the way does that mean it's not stuck?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
worried about the clutch being stuck to the flywheel from sitting. The peddle does go down all the way does that mean it's not stuck?
Nope not at all, it just means the pressure plate moves. ;)
The clutch plate could still be stuck to the flywheel. :(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok thanks I thought I read that somewheres. So will the tractor start in neutral or will it take off as soon as it starts?
Yep start it in neutral.
Then if that works we can give some pointers on how to try and break it loose if possible, some are easy some are not. ;)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Excellent buy
If you can’t get it running you can probably sell off parts and get your money back
I have a feeling that it will be an easy fix to get it running there’s really not too much to it.

There is a guy ( 007?) that has parts and you will also be amazed at what parts are available from the dealer

On Kubota.com they have illustrated parts list. Write down the serial number off the plate since you will need to know what it is for getting the correct part at times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Sweet! I love projects; keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chartersj

Equipment
L245dt
Oct 25, 2018
New brunswick, Canada
thanks, yeah that is why I couldn't pass on it as I should be able to part it out and get my money back worst case. The starter will spin but the solenoid will not do anything when I apply voltage to it. So that will be my first step to pull the starter off, disassemble and see what that needs. How do I tell what year it is? serial number is L245DT-51093.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
thanks, yeah that is why I couldn't pass on it as I should be able to part it out and get my money back worst case. The starter will spin but the solenoid will not do anything when I apply voltage to it. So that will be my first step to pull the starter off, disassemble and see what that needs. How do I tell what year it is? serial number is L245DT-51093.
You won't be able to find out the exact year, Kubota never tracked / documented them like that.
Year is not based on the serial # it's based on when it sold.

Sent you a PM (top right) for the WSM for that model.

Last edited: