L245DT trans fluid filter location?

WileyOhio

Equipment
L245DT
Jun 14, 2022
Port Washington, OH
I’ve looked through the posts discussing the hydraulics and various noises and see multiple references to the filter. I bought a service manual and found a page showing the filter in the return line just before the pump. My machine (s/n 57435) does not have one. The Operator’s Manual the previous owner gave me doesn’t show a filter on the parts list. I would think a filter is important, so any suggestions on adding one?
What prompted this project was a noise seeming to come from the left side of the rear axle/ hub. Kind of a clunking noise that changed with ground speed and more so in lower gears. Also noted the arms wouldn’t lift the brush cutter. Remove the cutter and the arms kind of bounced up and down about 3-4”. It’s in the garage now, drained the trans oil and pulled the left axle gear off. I noted the wheel had a slight wobble (as does the right side) so something is loose or worn.
I suspect the clunking noise and the 3point lift problem are related because they appeared at the same time. But how? Any suggestions?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
On my L185 all it has is a fine screen (filter) in the transmission case.

It is on the left side behind where your foot rests

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Glad that helped. You can probably buy a replacement screen from the dealer.

If you drain the transmission fluid be sure t remove the plugs on the rear axle drive down low to get all the fluid out.

No idea one the noises if the lug nuts are tight