L245 - Bale Spear on 3-pt?

YesIFit

May 7, 2020
DF-Dubya
Have a 2WD L245 that has served me well for 4+ years, used mostly exclusively for mowing. I was thinking of getting a 3pt bale spear (probably the type that slide under the bales rather than stab them) for the rear, but wondering if the tractor could lift them? I wouldn't be trying to load them into/on anything, just picking them up off the ground enough to move them into a pasture. I do have 4 55lb suitcase wights on the front.

I've seen as high as 1,540lbs at the arms (on TractorData) but I've also seen it listed as 1,100 at the arms, and implement max weight ratings of 600lbs. I've got the same .pdf Owner's Manual that's been floating around, but I don't see lift or implement capacities in it anywhere.

TIA.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Do you have any idea of the size and the weight of the hay bales? Does the hay supplier have a spear you could try pick up a bale with?

YesIFit

May 7, 2020
DF-Dubya
Do you have any idea of the size and the weight of the hay bales? Does the hay supplier have a spear you could try pick up a bale with?
Probably 5X5s, so about +/- 1000lbs.

The supplier is a few miles away, so I'd have to load trailer over there to test a bale. Was thinking of just ordering a spear for testing - they're not super expensive and shipping is free - and selling it for a small loss if it's a no-go. Just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure if it was a no-go before I went through the trouble.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Probably 5X5s, so about +/- 1000lbs.

The supplier is a few miles away, so I'd have to load trailer over there to test a bale. Was thinking of just ordering a spear for testing - they're not super expensive and shipping is free - and selling it for a small loss if it's a no-go. Just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure if it was a no-go before I went through the trouble.
I found an Owner's Manual for a L210 which seems to be around the size of your tractor but with a few less HP.

Its spec's say 1885# at the end of the 3 pt arms.

As you know the further back the weight is the lower the capacity.

My sense is you will be able to lift the 1,000# bale. You may find you need to increase the front end ballast.

As a comparison I looked at the L2350 where more info is available.

The L245 and the L2350 have the same horsepower and the same weight.

The L2350 lifts 1,875# at the lower arm pin and drops to 1,435# 24" back from the lift arm pin.

The center of gravity of your bale will be about 30" back from the pin so the expected capacity will be less than 1,435 but likely enough to lift the bale.

There is always a risk that it wont work but you seem to have a plan to deal with that outcome.

Dave

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
tractor supply has a " big bale mover" inexpensive and works well - put in 3ph lift a bit drive to bale lower the lift reverse under bale lift and place it in selected spot lower the lift drive away done deal go get another one

YesIFit

May 7, 2020
DF-Dubya
So - here's the answer. Yes, it will pick up a round bale. However, being 2WD the front end gets really lite, even with 4 suitcase weights on it. I have to be really careful letting the clutch out or it pops a wheelie. Now I need to figure out how to get more weight on the front.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
So - here's the answer. Yes, it will pick up a round bale. However, being 2WD the front end gets really lite, even with 4 suitcase weights on it. I have to be really careful letting the clutch out or it pops a wheelie. Now I need to figure out how to get more weight on the front.
That is an easier problem to have than if the tractor would not even lift the bale :)
Dave

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
When your tractor is to small to pick up a round bale you make or buy one of these.