L225DT fwd idler gear loose on its shaft

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Hi group - new OTT member here (long-timer at TBN, hopeless Kubota fan)

Need some help with a neighbor's L225DT that makes gear noise in 4wd. Took off the side gearbox and found the idler gear inside the case is very loose on its shaft - like it's center bushing is missing. The gear is not broken but it's clear that whatever keeps it centered on the shaft is no longer in place. Maybe has allowed something to move out of position?

I have the L225DT parts diagrams but it doesn't show this area very well. I need to see what's supposed to be there. Is there a needle bearing or sleeve in the center the gear? Anyone have a WSM that might cover it? Presently the loose floppy idler gear protrudes through the case and engages the outside gearbox. It functions but it shouldn't be run this way. The side gearbox, front driveshaft, front axle and hubs all run and work fine. Thanks for any ideas - Take care, Dick B

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Thanks for the quick reply - the Kubota Parts Page 380000 you've posted above shows the three gears that are in the outside gear case, they are all fine. The gear that's loose is #70 inside the big gear case - it drives the outside case.

Edit - The gear is shown on Parts Page 440000 in the upper left - it's part of the H-L speed changer. I copied part of that diagram onto an attachment that shows just the #70 gear and its shaft parts.

The short shaft #67 is mounted low in the case with a 2-row gear (20T-26T). That's the one that's flopping. And there should be 2 needle bearings in the center. see attached pdf
I think the gear is beat up and should be replaced.

The bearings 08822-02613 are only $5 each but the tractor has to come apart to replace them. Got any idea whether splitting at the front of the differential housing would allow removal of the #67 shaft ?

S/N is 10210. Take care, Dick B

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Wolfman - poking around on OTT and related links brought me to an older shop manual download that covers the L225DT. It has enough detail to confirm that by splitting the tractor between the transmission and the rear differential case the #67 shaft and #70 gear can accessed for replacement.

Another bit of luck is that a used gear and shaft were available and have been ordered, along with new circlips, bearings and collars. So its looking like the L225DT may get back in business for short money and some hours of wrenching. Thanks again - take care, Dick B.

Last edited:

macattackga

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 18, 2015
Fairfax
Wolfman - poking around on OTT and related links brought me to an older shop manual download that covers the L225DT. It has enough detail to confirm that only a split at the rear of the transmission is needed to replace the range countershaft and fwd idler. Another bit of luck is that a used gear and shaft were available and have been ordered. So its looking like the L225DT may get back in business for short money and some hours of wrenching. OTT is cool - thanks again - take care, Dick B.
Same problem with my grey market. Fixed it last weekend.

The snap ring (part 13) on mine was displaced. Bearing was ok. Was able to push the snap ring, bearing, washer and gear back into place and reassemble.

Cost = 4gal oil and RTV.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Same problem with my grey market. Fixed it last weekend.

The snap ring (part 13) on mine was displaced. Bearing was ok. Was able to push the snap ring, bearing, washer and gear back into place and reassemble.

Cost = 4gal oil and RTV.
Glad you found the problem before it required a new gear. To be clear, your loose gear was part 17 ? (first of the three gears in the side gearbox?) My loose gear is part 70 inside the trans - the shaft is grooved and the needles are gone! - probably in the bottom of the case somewhere.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
While your in there you might want to poke around and make sure all else is good! ;)

macattackga

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 18, 2015
Fairfax
Glad you found the problem before it required a new gear. To be clear, your loose gear was part 17 ? (first of the three gears in the side gearbox?) My loose gear is part 70 inside the trans - the shaft is grooved and the needles are missing - probably in the bottom of the case somewhere.
It could have been the same (pat 70 of attachment).

Hard to tell from the embedded diagram. It was the gear IN the transmission that engaged the transfer case. With the transfer case removed it was easy to see (stuck out of the transmission a bit I think), but would have required splitting the tractor to replace. It did "self clearance" a little bit on something, but seemed ok enough.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Yes its the same gear - the two-row gear with 20T and 26T shown as part 70 on Kubota' diagram 440000 (upper left - attached) I made the small .pdf in post #3 of this thread that shows just that gear and its shaft, collars, bearings etc. The range gears further inside appear to be ok. I split the tractor today behind the transmission. Parts should be here in a few days. I'll pull the shaft tomorrow and maybe post a couple pics.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Update - I split the L225DT at the end of the transmission. The loader frame extends back and upward, blocking the differential from pulling straight back. But by leaving one large attachment bolt on each side of the bell housing, the loader stays on the tractor but can rotate, lowering the back end out of the way and saving some work.

The gaskets and adhesive on Kubota housings are very tough. A thin saber saw blade can be used to make prying notches - took some effort to break it loose. There's a spacer piece blocks the gear shaft so it was removed the same way. With the snap rings out the shaft slides out of the gear.

The gear has no broken teeth, but most of the 26T row show some spalling. The shaft is shot - see pics. About a tablespoon of metal debris was laying in the case bottom. The pickup screen for the hydraulics is nearby but intact and cleanable. The range gears are in good shape - only minor wear. They're ok to stay in place.

Replacement parts are on the way - UPDATE May 9 2016 - I realize I never updated this thread after the job was done. It all went back together with no issues and continues to perform well. Dick B

Last edited: