L2050dt

Pocono boy

Equipment
L2050DT
Feb 26, 2013
Glen Mills,PA, USA
Just picked up this tractor and it needs work! Notice front axle dip stick is dry. Will drain what ever is in it but not sure what oil I should use and what to look for on potential damage. Any advice?

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
It's probably dry cuz the knuckle seals leak. May need new seals, or use 90w gear oil and maybe they won't leak as much.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
If the seals leak and you want to limp along for a while knowing a rebuild is upcoming you can try using progressively 'heavier' weight lube. I kid you not in some instances I've gone so far as to use ultra-thick 'motor honey' and even a mix of motor honey and standard tube grease mixed together. Can't truly recommend either but in my case(s) based on experience when later taken apart there seemed to be plenty of lube everywhere and no additional wear directly attributable to increasing viscosity of lubes. Like I said, can't recommend doing so, but can be a momentary get-by. Also, knowing this, provides another reference point when interviewing a potential machine for purchase. Cautionary note: common sense should prevail; such is obviously not for some applications.