L2000DT PTO operation

Jim67

Equipment
L225DT
Apr 29, 2019
Kernersville, North Carolina
Last weekend I was able to get the new to me tractor out for some bush hogging. I never really paid much attention but noticed sometimes the PTO didnt seem to disengage. Push the cluth in, move PTO shaft to neutral and bush hog kept spinning. I thought it was just coasting but seemed a little faster than that. I dont really know if there is a sequence or am doing something wrong? Dont think it did it everytime. Maybe RPMs?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your putting it in neutral it should be in neutral period.

You do know that the PTO is multi speed right, are you sure your not just going past neutral and into another PTO speed?

Jim67

Equipment
L225DT
Apr 29, 2019
If your putting it in neutral it should be in neutral period.

You do know that the PTO is multi speed right, are you sure your not just going past neutral and into another PTO speed?
Yes I know it has multiple speeds. Im not sure if it did it with PTO in neutral. Now that I think about it, I may have just had the clutch pushed in. Would that keep the PTO turning? I know there is "live PTO" and not but not sure the difference.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes I know it has multiple speeds. Im not sure if it did it with PTO in neutral. Now that I think about it, I may have just had the clutch pushed in. Would that keep the PTO turning? I know there is "live PTO" and not but not sure the difference.
It would depend on if you have a dual clutch set up or not.
If it's a dual clutch then the PTO clutch could be sticking, or out of adjustment.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I think this model is typical of most of the smaller early L series, and the PTO should stop with the clutch in. It definitely should stop with the PTO speed selector in neutral.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
But you need to realize that it will take a while for the bush hog to slow down to a stop. You should hear it change speed soon after pushing in the clutch but two minutes or more to a dead stop would be a reasonable guess for coasting to a stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim67

Equipment
L225DT
Apr 29, 2019
But you need to realize that it will take a while for the bush hog to slow down to a stop. You should hear it change speed soon after pushing in the clutch but two minutes or more to a dead stop would be a reasonable guess for coasting to a stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yea thanks all. I drove the tractor around the yard without anything attached and put the PTO in gear and watched it spin, then pushed the clutch in and was totally amazed at how long it coasted before it stopped. That was with nothing attached.