L185 oil pressure, and general repairs

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
L185 general repairs.

So I have been working on the l185 trying to square away all the po's work. I found the fuse blown in the dash and now the oil light is on. I changed the oil, checked the sender, wiring, but it leads to the low oil pressure in the engine. I have read about a plug in the cam end. Is this all the l185 models?

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
So I have been working on the l185 trying to square away all the po's work. I found the fuse blown in the dash and now the oil light is on. I changed the oil, checked the sender, wiring, but it leads to the low oil pressure in the engine. I have read about a plug in the cam end. Is this all the l185 models?
Welcome to the forum. I have heard of the cam plug problem in lots of 'em. Only problem I ever experienced, myself is that the o- rings in the suction pipe of the oil pump get brittle, and suck air. If It aint the one, then it's the other. Cam plug is prolly a hair easier to tackle, so start there...:D

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
Ok then, I will get a manual, or if somone has one they can send to me I would be very grateful for it. Is ther a favorite place to get the gaskets and other parts needed as well as the plug from?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Ok then, I will get a manual, or if somone has one they can send to me I would be very grateful for it....?
Glad your aiming to get her back to working glory. Lots of links to get you started; including where to get manual, can be found at

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20495

each forum in here has a similar thread. Also searches in here of other talk on L185's are full of information that will give you a huge head start and lead you to questions that have not been asked yet that will help you and future readers.

Look forward to a build thread posted in here on your progress.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Quite a few of us have done the cam plug repair on our tractors. I found mine in the bottom of the oil pan. :rolleyes: While in there, it's a good time to replace the front main seal, o'ring and collar. Check the bearings for the fan and replace if needed as well. I think total cost for what I replaced was around $100.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I worked on the tractor today,A buddy of mine who is a diesel mec stopped by and brought a oil pressure gauge pulled the oil sending unit and srewed it in. I started it up and to oil pressure was 35lbs right off! So I guess nothing wrong with the engine (thanks up there) so he checked over what I had checked out turns out the wire was stretched and not making a good connection,I guess I have to learn how to use the power probe better. My fault for sure I was cleaning up and moved the wires the other day and maybe to much pressure with old wires and well I have to be more careful I guess. Of course I was told to leave things alone and if it need to be fixed just call me (my friend said that to me). Anyway he checked it over and said I got a good deal and he would give me $2000. now if I want to sell it! I said no and I will keep it.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Good you got it fixed. You have a good friend. Get him a gift certificate to the local auto parts store for his help. Show him your appreciation!

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
Good you got it fixed. You have a good friend. Get him a gift certificate to the local auto parts store for his help. Show him your appreciation!
In the not so distant past, I have put a full dormer on his house, wrap around porch and retrimed the house. I tthink we are pretty much on track!

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
Tie rod ends

I am looking for the cross reference numbers for the tie rod ends, the drag ling end at the axle end is shot and Napa says they could get it with a after market part number. Has anyone done this?

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
Re: L185 smoking some

I was working the l185 yesterday grading the driveway, I borrowed a 5' 3 pt hitch grader blade, I did notice that the tractor was smoking some. Normal for a diesel or it 1400hrs time for a set of rings? I changed the oil a week or so back.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Define "smoking some". Is it blow by, is it exhaust?

Could be it just needs a good hard workout. Maybe it been setting for quit a while, or just use without letting the engine get to a normal hot for a while.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I was using the 185 today and a couple of steering sector shaft teeth popped off. I had to order a new one from Kumar in NJ.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
Define "smoking some". Is it blow by, is it exhaust?

Could be it just needs a good hard workout. Maybe it been setting for quit a while, or just use without letting the engine get to a normal hot for a while.
I noticed it smoking out the exhaust after using it for awhile. I will just use it like it is until it bugs me to much.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
L185 steering box rebuild

I got the new steering box sector shaft today, I had ordered the steering shaft repair kit. I got all the new parts from Kumar Bros USA on ebay.

I removed the bearing seats, seals and cleaned up all the old parts. I installed the bearing seats and new seals they went in easy, so I greased up the bearing and slid the steering shaft into the box, slid the tube down on to the box and checked to see how many shims I would need. Well I had to use all of the shims in the package plus the old ones , so I figured the bearing seats were not all the way in so I pulled the shaft out and tapped on the seat some more also the seat in the steering tube. I put it back together and It was still tight. I pulled it out again just to try to get the seats in more and to make sure the bearings were in the right way. The seats were in as far as they would go and the bearing were in correctly. I tried again, 8 shims stacked under the tube and it was to tight, 10 shims still NG. So I pulled it apart and put the old steering shaft and nut in ( the old nut has a few marks in it so I just cleaned them up) it went in perfectly 4 shims and it spun nicely with no play. I slid the sector shaft in and adjusted it. The steering shaft turned smoothly so I put it in the tractor and reassembled everything,greased up the frontend and filled the steering box with Amsoil 75-90 severe gear oil. The tractor steers great now! Unfortunately the $140.00 steering shaft that I bought is no good, I emailed the seller to se if they would exchange or credit me.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I got a email back from the ebay seller Kumar Bros Kubota parts. They are sending me a new steering shaft no problem no questions! Pretty good place I would think.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
l185 steering shaft

I received the steering shaft from kumar today,I saw right off what the problem with thhe shaft was.It is to long from where the bottom bearing rides to the end of the shaft. I like 3/8 to long. So it must have been rubbing the inside of the housing.