L185 Engine noise

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I was moving wood over the weekend and the normal engine clatter changed, it was all of a sudden louder and raw diesel smell with bluish smoke. The noise is a metallic clatter. It still starts right up but it really stinks. I have not had a chance to really look at it. Could it be a bad injector? I have noticed in the past the it would clatter when starts after sitting for a week or more but then go away.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's probably a bad injector if it smells like raw diesel, but as 100 td point out check the radiator level as it could have blown a head gasket and is sucking antifreeze.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
Radiator was full and the oil light was off. I will look at it more this weekend. I have not started it again , I ordered 2 injectors for it anyway they were inexpensive so I figured I would try those first. I hope it didn't blow the head gasket. Or worse crack the head. I guess I could look for bubbles in the radiator.

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Radiator was full and the oil light was off.
A good sign, hopefully as NIW suggests, the injectors will cure it. One other thing to check if it has it, decompression lever, is it working correctly? Good luck!

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I went out and checked out the l185 tonight. No water in oil, radiator full, started it up clattered for 10-15 seconds then stopped, after a bit of running I checked the radiator for bubbles, none. It still has a very strong raw diesel smell. I will get a compression tester next.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I received the new injectors today so I am going to put them in tomorrow, also picked up a oil pressure gauge for it. I want to put a temp gauge but don't have a clue where to put it. Any idea?

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
So I put the 2 new injectors in today and changed the oil. The tractor runs great no smoke. Put a new fuel filter also. Did not get around to putting the oil pressure gauge in today.

So looking at the nozzles on the bottom of the old injectors the front one was dry and the rear was wet and where the tip goes thru the nozzle it was chipped some so the fuel was leaking a lot.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It's nice you got the problem fixed with just replacing injectors, and was able to see the injector's problem.

There's not much worse when working on something mechanical and you replace some parts and fix a problem, but never discover what the actual problem was!

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I was using the l185 yesterday to move wood and one of the the new injectors started sticking. Real bad Raw fuel smell. Brought it back to the shed and Shut it off. Disgusted. 2 months old.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Was it a Kubota injector, rebuilt or a knockoff?
Bought a set off knockoffs on Ebay, installed them in my L175 and they were Ka Ka.
Bought some Kubotas, problem solved.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
My friend who is a diesel mechanic (really good) stopped over to look at the kubota. I started it for him, after running it for a few minutes I shut it down. He said pull the injectors and come by the shop with the and the old ones. So I did and he is going to rebuild them. He gave me a hard time about buying the injectors online. And if I wanted it done right to go to him and stop buying crap online. So lesson learned again.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
I got the injectors back, he took the original injectors and rebuilt them with new nozzles and other pcs. He said the aftermarket was out of spec and toss it. So we put them in and he put in injector anti sticking fluid. It runs great again.

shooter56

Equipment
kubota L185 w/fel
Sep 25, 2015
CT.
He is a good guy, he works at a full service diesel shop. They do everything there. They don't just swap parts. They rebuild in house. Full machine shop and everyone that works there has to know the ropes.