L1801DT front axle / diff oil change ?

CasualNerd

Equipment
L1801DT
Oct 9, 2020
Australia
Hi all, I'm having a bit of trouble finding specifics for my machine, I think I have a leak (Oil all over the outside / inside of the front left wheel) either from the axle oil or maybe from the front end loader hydraulic oil dripping from a fitting above. I believe this is a Japanese domestic model grey imported into Australia and I can't find a manual for it.

Most of the Kubota forum posts and youtube videos refer to a fill / inspection hole in the front axle housing to get the correct level of oil, but all I can find is a fill plug and a drain right at the bottom outside of the whole assembly. Circled in red in the following photo of the left front side looking rearwards:

20201009_170642.jpg

Is there an inspection / fill level hole somewhere that I'm missing ? Here's a picture of the other side - front right looking forwards:
20201009_170615.jpg

There's a fill and a drain on both sides, so are they independent chambers ? Is it just a case of using a measured amount of oil if there's no inspection hole ?

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Welcome to the forum.
There are some very experienced members on this forum who can help with more specifics in time.
Good luck.

Last edited:

CasualNerd

Equipment
L1801DT
Oct 9, 2020
Australia
For anyone that finds this in the future, the leak was actually a small weep from the front end loader hydraulic ram, it runs down the underside of the ram and drips off the hydraulic connection directly above the wheel.

In the end I used a stainless steel strip off the back of an old windscreen wiper blade to check the oil level in the front axle, one side was lower than the other so it must be separate chambers. From the Bolts on the top of the axle you can dip something and check the fluid. I just topped it up to halfway up the axle, which seems to be common practice.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
For anyone that finds this in the future, the leak was actually a small weep from the front end loader hydraulic ram, it runs down the underside of the ram and drips off the hydraulic connection directly above the wheel.

In the end I used a stainless steel strip off the back of an old windscreen wiper blade to check the oil level in the front axle, one side was lower than the other so it must be separate chambers. From the Bolts on the top of the axle you can dip something and check the fluid. I just topped it up to halfway up the axle, which seems to be common practice.
Seems like your approach was good, my 3 tractors all have an inspection / level hole about at the center of the axle.