L series A/C cleaning walk-through (part 2 - cleaning drains)

Pyro Guy

Equipment
L5240HSTC
Jul 29, 2024
Topeka, KS
This is part 2 of a maintenance project where I opened and cleaned the rooftop A/C unit on my L5240HSTC. In Part 1, we removed the cab cap and opened the A/C box for cleaning.

13. Locate the drain ports and hoses (there are 4!). The location of the ports is circled (I couldn't find the exact location of #2). And the drain hose routes are marked as well. 1 & 2 go down the right side of the cab (#1 in the rear channel and #2 in the front channel). Similarly, 3 & 4 go down the left side of the cab, #3 in the rear channel and #4 in the front.
11-DrainPorts.jpg

Close-up of port for drain #1
12-Drain1.jpg

Drain 2 hose route to bottom of box
14-Drain2Hose.jpg

Drain 3 port and hose (I have removed the hose already in this pic)
17-Drain3.jpg

Drain 4 port
19-Drain4.jpg

Drain 4 hose route to bottom of box
20-Drain4Hose.jpg

All 4 drain hoses exit just below the cab. Drain hose 4 shown here. Others are in the other corners as described above
21-Drain4Outlet.jpg

14. Clean each of the 4 drains. For #2, #3, and #4 I removed the hose from the box nipple for cleaning. For drain #1, I didn't remove the hose but just accessed the port in bottom of the drain pan (location shown above)
22-Flushing.jpg

For each drain, I did the following steps:
a) Put catch pan on ground below drain hose
b) Use compressed air (from the top end) to blow out any debris out the bottom of the hose
c) Flush line with water & chlorox mixture to kill any mold that might be present
d) Flush line with distilled water

15. Reverse disassembly steps to reassemble. Make sure motor cams and actuator rods are oriented as before (consult the picture you took on disassembly) and the lid should easily snap back into place

16. For extra credit, I added some Reflectix (or iFoil) brand bubble insulation in my roof to try to repel some of the heat so the unit doesn't have to work quite so hard. Attached with strips of double-sided tape.
25-Reflectix3.jpg

So far, A/C is working great in 100 degree heat and no longer raining on me.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3520, Rtv-520 and LandPride implements
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
This is part 2 of a maintenance project where I opened and cleaned the rooftop A/C unit on my L5240HSTC. In part 1, we removed the cab cap and opened the A/C box for cleaning.

13. Locate the drain ports and hoses (there are 4!). The location of the ports is circled (I couldn't find the exact location of #2). And the drain hose routes are marked as well. 1 & 2 go down the right side of the cab (#1 in the rear channel and #2 in the front channel). Similarly, 3 & 4 go down the left side of the cab, #3 in the rear channel and #4 in the front.
View attachment 133919

View attachment 133920

View attachment 133921

View attachment 133922

Drain 4 port
View attachment 133923

View attachment 133924

All 4 drain hoses exit just below the cab. Drain hose 4 shown here. Others are in the other corners as described above
View attachment 133925

14. Clean each of the 4 drains. For #2, #3, and #4 I removed the hose from the box nipple for cleaning. For drain #1, I didn't remove the hose but just accessed the port in bottom of the drain pan (location shown above)
View attachment 133926

b) Use compressed air (from the top end) to blow out any debris out the bottom of the hose
c) Flush line with water & chlorox mixture to kill any mold that might be present

15. Reverse disassembly steps to reassemble. Make sure motor cams and actuator rods are oriented as before (consult the picture you took on disassembly) and the lid should easily snap back into place

16. For extra credit, I added some Reflectix (or iFoil) brand bubble insulation in my roof to try to repel some of the heat so the unit doesn't have to work quite so hard. Attached with strips of double-sided tape.
View attachment 133928

Great job. Just out of curiosity were you having moisture blow out your vents? And how many hours do you have on tractor?

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3520, Rtv-520 and LandPride implements
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
This is part 2 of a maintenance project where I opened and cleaned the rooftop A/C unit on my L5240HSTC. In part 1, we removed the cab cap and opened the A/C box for cleaning.

View attachment 133919

View attachment 133920

View attachment 133921

View attachment 133922

Drain 4 port
View attachment 133923

View attachment 133924

View attachment 133925

View attachment 133926

View attachment 133928

Sorry just seen your part 1. Answered my question haha