L-47 vs L4060

TonyinTexas

Equipment
L4060 with loader, backhoe, box blade
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
I purchased a 4060 with BH92 for personal land management and some side work. Right now I'm perfectly happy but if my business took off, I'd be looking at the L47 or M62. I keep seeing L47s and M62s (with 700 or so hours) for sale at a used price lower than I paid all in with KTAC financed in. Spacifically seeing M-62s in the 50k range.

I figure I must be missing something. I haven't seen too many people doing this comparison and there may be a reason.

When I was looking at new machines, L47 was an option but the financing isn't quite as good and I had a hard time justifying ~20k more than a 4060 with bh92. I assume KTAC is more expensive dollar for dollar on 'construction equipment' but i may be wrong. I'm sure maintenance expense is higher on the L47 and especially the m62. I'm curious how much higher.

I could get all of these answers from the dealer and I might reach out but I figure some of you have experience and can shed some light on the topic.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I recently traded my L2501 for a slightly used(160ish hours) L47TLB. The difference is night and day, so many extras on the 47. I did a full service on it as I did not know the history, to include all filters and a full fluid change. The supplies were around $1100. I financed, so also got the KTAC insurance. It was $4500. Hope that helps! It is a hell of a machine!

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I purchased a 4060 with BH92 for personal land management and some side work. Right now I'm perfectly happy but if my business took off, I'd be looking at the L47 or M62. I keep seeing L47s and M62s (with 700 or so hours) for sale at a used price lower than I paid all in with KTAC financed in. Spacifically seeing M-62s in the 50k range.

I figure I must be missing something. I haven't seen too many people doing this comparison and there may be a reason.

When I was looking at new machines, L47 was an option but the financing isn't quite as good and I had a hard time justifying ~20k more than a 4060 with bh92. I assume KTAC is more expensive dollar for dollar on 'construction equipment' but i may be wrong. I'm sure maintenance expense is higher on the L47 and especially the m62. I'm curious how much higher.

I could get all of these answers from the dealer and I might reach out but I figure some of you have experience and can shed some light on the topic.
I have already documented this a bit here on TBN,....but here goes again.

I own an L48 TLB, .....the older brother of the L47 TLB..

I have a long time friend (he is 65 yrs old), who is about to contract out the construction of his retirement home.
It is a waterfront lot, and HE will be building a 120' dock, as well as doing other parts of the project himself.

Though he has never owned a tractor, I convinced him that he absolutely needed one for his project.

I thought that he should have an L47 TLB.

Due to his total lack of tractor experience, I convinced him to let ME find something USED for him.
No fee for me....just friendship.

I began the internet search, and considered several low time L47 TLBs, though never got to look at one before it was sold.

Then......stumbled on a Craigslist ad for a 2021 - 295 hour (not rental) M62.
I drove three hours from my house, to look at it, with a $6,400 deposit in hand.
(My friend could not be there))
Paid the seller $6,400, ......with the remainder of the $63,500 cash sale price due before pickup.
Cost was not really a primary issue....friend could have afforded a new M62.

Found a "hotshot" guy that came highly recommended, who delivered the machine (550 miles) to my friend in VA for $1200.

My friend absolutely LOVES his M62.
He simply could not be more pleased.

I recommended that he source a HI-CUBE "sea can", and the machine is currently stored in that, until early April.

Friend is currently on his boat in the Keys, the M62 is sleeping in the "sea can" in VA. for the Winter, and the project will begin in April.

I love my 2006 L48 (used 250.1 hr.- orig. owner), and I do think an L47 could have been adequate for my friend, but given an option of the L47 v/s the M62.....??

The M62 is ABSOLUTELY the way to go!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TonyinTexas

Equipment
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
I recently traded my L2501 for a slightly used(160ish hours) L47TLB. The difference is night and day, so many extras on the 47. I did a full service on it as I did not know the history, to include all filters and a full fluid change. The supplies were around $1100. I financed, so also got the KTAC insurance. It was $4500. Hope that helps! It is a hell of a machine!
That does help! That is a big upgrade. That KTAC is the same price as i paid for the 4060 which is interesting, but perhaps its just based on price of machine at purchase. The supplies for service seem high but I don't know what all you replaced. If I did all fluid and all filters it'd be close to $1000 I believe.

Can you spin around while in the seat Of the L47? I know its tight in there, but thats a huge plus not having to move seats

TonyinTexas

Equipment
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
I have already documented this a bit here on TBN,....but here goes again.

I own an L48 TLB, .....the older brother of the L47 TLB..

I have a long time friend (he is 65 yrs old), who is about to contract out the construction of his retirement home.
It is a waterfront lot, and HE will be building a 120' dock, as well as doing other parts of the project himself.

Though he has never owned a tractor, I convinced him that he absolutely needed one for his project.

I thought that he should have an L47 TLB.

Due to his total lack of experience, I convinced him to let ME find something USED for him.
No fee for me....just friendship.

I began the internet search, and considered several low time L47 TLBs, though never got to look at one before it was sold.

Then......stumbled on a Craigslist ad for a 2021 - 295 hour (not rental) M62.
I drove three hours from my house, to look at it, with a $6,400 deposit in hand.
(My friend could not be there))
Paid the seller $6,400, ......with the remainder of the $63,500 cash sale price due before pickup.
Cost was not a primary issue....friend could have afforded a new machine.

Found a "hotshot" guy that came highly recommended, who delivered (550 miles) the machine to my friend in VA for $1200.

My friend absolutely LOVES his M62.
He simply could not be more pleased.

I recommended that he source a HI-CUBE "sea can", and the machine is currently stored in that, until early April.

Friend is currently on his boat in the Keys, the M62 is sleeping in the "sea can" in VA. for the Winter, and project will begin in April.

I love my 2006 L48 (used 250.1 hr.- orig. owner), and am sure a newer L47 would be nice, but given an option of the L47 v/s the M62.....??

The M62 is ABSOLUTELY the way to go!
Thanks for the reply, m62 sounds like the way to go. Any input on costs to maintain it vs these smaller machines?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the reply, m62 sounds like the way to go. Any input on costs to maintain it vs these smaller machines?
I really do think you need to let go of the maintenance cost issue.

If you want a machine to do the jobs that an M62 will do, you are likely talking about just a few hundred dollars each year to get the most capable machine available in it's size category.

The M62 is a CONSTRUCTION machine!
It is NOT an upgraded farm tractor,..... with a backhoe just hung on the back.

TonyinTexas

Equipment
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
I really do think you need to let go of the maintenance cost issue.

If you want a machine to do the jobs that an M62 will do, you are likely talking about just a few hundred dollars each year to get the most capable machine available in it's size category.

The M62 is a CONSTRUCTION machine!
It is NOT an upgraded farm tractor,..... with a backhoe just hung on the back.
Agreed it,'s totally different. I just like to have all info I can If I'm looking into something. I'll dig on that for myself

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That does help! That is a big upgrade. That KTAC is the same price as i paid for the 4060 which is interesting, but perhaps its just based on price of machine at purchase. The supplies for service seem high but I don't know what all you replaced. If I did all fluid and all filters it'd be close to $1000 I believe.

Can you spin around while in the seat Of the L47? I know its tight in there, but thats a huge plus not having to move seats
Yes...

I am quite certain that you can spin around on the L47.
I know that I can on my L48.

When comparing the L47 to the M62, you must compare the dig depth/reach.
The L47 has a dig depth of only 10' (my years older L48 has 11' dig).
The M62 has a dig depth of 14'.

You may not need the dig depth, but the M62 hoe REACH is proportionally greater also.
REACH is a MAJOR issue with ANY backhoe!

TonyinTexas

Equipment
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
Yes...

I am quite certain that you can spin around on the L47.
I know that I can on my L48.

When comparing the L47 to the M62, you must compare the dig depth/reach.
The L47 has a dig depth of only 10' (my years older L48 has 11' dig).
The M62 has a dig depth of 14'.

You may not need the dig depth, but the M62 hoe REACH is proportionally greater also.
REACH is a MAJOR issue with ANY backhoe!
Right, the reach is a big deal for what i do (dig ponds/streams). I know the ideal tool is an excavator, and that might be where I end up going. Just info gathering at this point and I appreciate you sharing your experience!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Right, the reach is a big deal for what i do (dig ponds/streams). I know the ideal tool is an excavator, and that might be where I end up going. Just info gathering at this point and I appreciate you sharing your experience!
If you are just digging/loading, a mini-ex is likely the better machine for your use.
If you need to travel faster, or carry material more than a few feet, a TLB is good for the job.
Pond digging would definitely be best with a mini-ex.

TonyinTexas

Equipment
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
If you are just digging/loading, a mini-ex is likely the better machine for your use.
If you need to travel faster, or carry material more than a few feet, a TLB is good for the job.
Pond digging would definitely be best with a mini-ex.
Right, once the volume of work justifies it, I'll pull the trigger on something or multiple somethings. For now, the 4060+bh92 does everything fine and I can justify the costs maintaining my stuff even if it isn't producing income

Attachments

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020

The seat does spin, however I find it easier to stand up, spin the seat, and then sit back down, and I am not a tall guy.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you have a L4060 you need to ask yourself why you need a marginal upgrade.

If you need construction grade, get a full sized TLB if you need to move dirt fast or a mini-x if you need to do a lot of digging.

The M62 is better than a full sized TLB for working in tight areas but you can do more with a full sized TLB and in a lot more comfort for the same price. The loader on the M62 is decent but the BH is weak, slow and limited in comparison to a full sized TLB with extendahoe.

Expect $1k to do your own full service for oil + filters on the M62.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I have had both the older, full size TLB and my newer L47 now and I love the work that a full-size can do, you can’t replace weight and horsepower if you want to get a lot done, but I wanted to be able to do three-point hitch, stuff, angle, blade, rear blade, and such which I enjoy very much, but at times miss the work that a full-size beast can do.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
When I got my used M59 and was making my second trip to get all the parts and fluids for me to do the full service, the service manager told of the special they have in the fall/winter with parts and labor. Actually cheaper for them to come get my M59, do the service, and return than I could do it myself. $100 to install the newly purchased 3rd function kit sealed the deal. Biggest savings was their bulk pricing of sudt. They get to keep their shop employees busy during the slow season.

Good used TLBs used to be some of the best bargains compared to new. Now M59s like mine sale for $15-20K more than I paid 7 years ago.

B26 and M59 together have replaced many ag tractors, full size backhoe and skidsteer for current use on the farm. I don’t do custom work anymore either. Trying fo figure this retirement business out.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When I got my used M59 and was making my second trip to get all the parts and fluids for me to do the full service, the service manager told of the special they have in the fall/winter with parts and labor. Actually cheaper for them to come get my M59, do the service, and return than I could do it myself. $100 to install the newly purchased 3rd function kit sealed the deal. Biggest savings was their bulk pricing of sudt. They get to keep their shop employees busy during the slow season.

Good used TLBs used to be some of the best bargains compared to new. Now M59s like mine sale for $15-20K more than I paid 7 years ago.

B26 and M59 together have replaced many ag tractors, full size backhoe and skidsteer for current use on the farm. I don’t do custom work anymore either. Trying fo figure this retirement business out.
Apparently mother Kubota offers their dealers Spring promotion prices on SUDT for "take out" also.
I have bought several 5gal. pails in the Spring, at a slightly reduced price.

Trama

Equipment
L47, Thumb, T&T kit, Gearmore SFG185, 2G2, Pallet Forks
Dec 17, 2023
NorCal

If your business takes off make sure you consider transport ease. The 4060 with BH92 and L47 TLB are relatively easy machines to haul with a pickup. Anything bigger and heavier like the M62 might have you out of your comfort zone.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If your business takes off make sure you consider transport ease. The 4060 with BH92 and L47 TLB are relatively easy machines to haul with a pickup. Anything bigger and heavier like the M62 might have you out of your comfort zone.
An L47 TLB will be fine on any 10K trailer.
The M62 will need a minimum 12K trailer

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I have had both the older, full size TLB and my newer L47 now and I love the work that a full-size can do, you can’t replace weight and horsepower if you want to get a lot done, but I wanted to be able to do three-point hitch, stuff, angle, blade, rear blade, and such which I enjoy very much, but at times miss the work that a full-size beast can do.
My feelings exactly! I once had a Ford 655a, which was a great machine. After I finished the job I bought it for I sold it. I just couldn't justify a machine that big.
I actually bought the L47 as a tractor loader w/ 3PH and PTO which is all I really needed.
I added the backhoe later as a want, rather than a need. Sometimes I wish I spent the additional $10k and bought the M62 but 99% of the time the L47 is all I need.
100_1982.JPG

I'm 6ft 2in and 205 lbs. It would be very difficult to spin the seat with me in it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My feelings exactly! I once had a Ford 655a, which was a great machine. After I finished the job I bought it for I sold it. I just couldn't justify a machine that big.
I actually bought the L47 as a tractor loader w/ 3PH and PTO which is all I really needed.
I added the backhoe later as a want, rather than a need. Sometimes I wish I spent the additional $10k and bought the M62 but 99% of the time the L47 is all I need. View attachment 118211
I'm 6ft 2in and 205 lbs. It would be very difficult to spin the seat with me in it.
I recently found a low hour used M62, and helped a friend coordinate the purchase.
As some may recall, I have a very low hour L48 TLB....with 11' dig depth.
My friend was thinking about a new or used L47.

I convinced him that the M62 with 14' dig depth, and 17.6' reach, was a much better idea than the L47 with only 10' dig depth, and 13.4' reach .
An M62 can be moved with a 3/4T HD pickup, and a 12K trailer.

My L48 TLB has 14.4' reach, and I often wish for more!
IMHO, BH reach is an issue of primary importance.

My friend LOVES his 2021 M62, with only 295 (not rental) hours.

Last edited: